View topic image gallery

20180511_100925 (resized).jpg
13FA11E5-033A-4DF0-8AD4-BECE7A0D8162 (resized).jpeg
tumblr_nxyzs0CxDM1uw94gao1_500 (resized).png
459E86D4-A11A-4B33-91D6-1E9C492462A0 (resized).jpeg
81EBC19E-734F-41A6-8B6B-C81F364B83A2 (resized).jpeg
E99F25E5-0801-4A03-A89E-52BE3032E923 (resized).jpeg
CC797750-1E5A-4DED-8969-CA2A74622532 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

I am going to need two sets but I need some idea of pricing before I would pull the trigger.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am going to need two sets but I need some idea of pricing before I would pull the trigger.

Oh yeah, the same questions I asked on the Seawitch thread about these:

1) Will you be using the small rivets to attach the angle brackets to the stainless steel guides or will you be using a larger head/larger shank rivet?

2) Will the stainless quides be elevated a few thousandths of an inch above the play field surface or will they be riding the play field with a hard contact?

and one more question

3) More than a few of the angle brackets that Stern used had two screw holes in the angle brackets to help keep the guides properly aligned. Will you be using angle brackets with two holes for mounting the guides to the play field.

I'm not trying to be cranky, but I want to know what, and how close to original, you will be producing.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I imagine they would be similar to the ones he just did for Fathom:
https://mantispinball.com/product/fathom-4-piece-ball-guide-set/

I saw those with the Fathom. That is why I am asking my questions.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I agree with you on your questions. At a minimum, I would like to see the rivets be more the original style, so that they match better cosmetically even if using regular unpolished stainless.

1) I can live with the rivets if they are the larger size, but prefer the smaller factory style rivets. My Cliffy flap gate on my Seawitch uses the correct rivets; They are not hard to source. But it is merely a cosmetic preference for me.

2) I am interested in knowing if the ball guides are going to be positioned on the brackets in a manner that they do not ride on the play field. I don't want them eating my play field paint and I would rather not have to add spacers/washers under the brackets to make this happen.

3) I don't know about Bally. I don't know about Williams. And I don't know about Gottlieb. But Stern has some of the brackets that screw to the play field by using two holes in the brackets to help keep the ball guides aligned at high stress points. I don't want my ball guides moving around so I'm interested in knowing if brackets with two holes attaching to the play field are part of the plan.

These are not hard questions.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

We have sourced stainless steel rivets that match the size and look of the originals. I will post back what the final decision is on using them.
The guides are made to match the originals. If the originals were off the playfield then the repros would be off. If they float above the playfield I would be concerned about them wobbling on the mounting points and causing other issues. Maybe your guides were lose at some point then tightened down after this was noticed.
Same with the mounting points. If they have two holes then the repros would have two holes.
It looks like we are getting good interest on these. Does anyone have a donner set we can use to make these? We don't own this game.

Thank you.

I will be in for two sets.

1 week later
#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Looking at the rivets on the ball guides in those pictures I see the same rivets as we used in the Fathom guides. I also see the same flat style rivets used on the Seawitch ball guides in the photos I have. It would seem that Bally and Stern used different style rivets. The Star Gazer used double screws as well to hold the guides brackets in place. This would make me think if we use the Bally style rivets the guides integrity would be weaken. What would all parties interested in these prefer? Original or Bally style?

If using Bally is going to weaken the integrity of the guides, then by all means use original Stern style.

3 weeks later
#85 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Neither of my Meteors had them. Can't remember if my Sea Witches had them, but I don't think so. Just interesting that some have it and some don't. Since I am told the repro playfields are slightly thinner, it is good to have the rails. At any rate, what kind of screws are used for the rails? Are they the same as the non-rail screws?

My Hot Hand had had the rails. Nine Ball had the rails. Seawitch did not and got the HH rails. My Big Game did not have the rails but a Cheetah play field I bought had the rails and went to the Big Game. My Catacomb has the rails. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

The screws for the wood rails are counter sunk heads. The screws for the support rails are round head screws.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Did they change the way the playfield is supported along the sides of the cabinet? That looks like it will lift the playfield 1/2" or so higher.

The support rails do not affect how the play field sits. The play field's four corner "Z" brackets supports measure .70" (little less than 3/4" inch) away from the side of the cabinet. The support rails measure approximately .50" (1/2 inch) away from the side cabinet. This leaves a 1/4" clearance between the cornet supports and the rails.

If Stern supported the lower side their play field along its full length with a length of1" wide wood strip as did Bally and Williams, then the issue you describe would come into play. Since Stern only used four 3" long "Z" brackets at all four corners and the rails sit closer to the cabinet than the Z-Brackets there is never any interference.

I prefer the Bally play field support method of using a 1" wide wood strip that runs the length of the play field, but realized that by just using 4 corner supports as Stern did that Stern had the added room to hang wiring downeach side of the play field

2 months later
#106 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Order placed. Thanks for making these happen.

I placed my order, too.

1 week later
#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

I just wanted to let everyone know. Individual PMs were sent to everyone in this post that requested guides. We are now opening up orders to everyone that wants to buy these. If you requested these and have not ordered yet I suggest you don't wait. When they are gone they are gone! No extras were made and the demand is not high enough to remake these.

I just received my ball guides this afternoon. I have a couple of questions that I have asked you about in a PM. Please check your messages.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

I sent you a response!

I have received your response and have since opened dialog with Kerry.

For the record, I also ordered some of the play field stiffeners that were indicated to be on the same tracking number, but they did not arrive with the guides.

2 weeks later
#121 5 years ago
Quoted from China_Grove:

quick question to just be clear on unless I messed it somewhere.
Are the under playfield support rails only made originally for some stargazer machines (not all) and are only optional if desired to use, correct? I have not seen these on two other stern machines that I have.

My Hot Hand play field has them. My Big Game did not. A Cheetah play field I have has them. Catacomb has them. My Seawitch does not. My Nine Ball has them. Dragonfist has them.

There seems to be no rhyme of reason as far as I can tell.

I thought there were two parts numbers for a right and a left. Not true. There is one configuration that fits both sides and fits both the standard size Stern play fields and the wide body Stern play fields

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 3.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-stainless-steel-ball-guides?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.