View topic image gallery

20180511_100925 (resized).jpg
13FA11E5-033A-4DF0-8AD4-BECE7A0D8162 (resized).jpeg
tumblr_nxyzs0CxDM1uw94gao1_500 (resized).png
459E86D4-A11A-4B33-91D6-1E9C492462A0 (resized).jpeg
81EBC19E-734F-41A6-8B6B-C81F364B83A2 (resized).jpeg
E99F25E5-0801-4A03-A89E-52BE3032E923 (resized).jpeg
CC797750-1E5A-4DED-8969-CA2A74622532 (resized).jpeg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

I would also like to order the wire guides and under playfield supports, if they will be offered.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Did the under playfield supports change between meteor and star gazer?

I'm betting they're very similar. Looks like the holes are drilled at equal distance and they only put screws where it could go through the playfield and into the black rails on top. I think I've seen sterns with and without these angle iron supports...

If you're using a donor stern to convert to a stargazer, you can likely reuse these supports.

#53 6 years ago

My donor cab does not have a playfield. My meteor does not have any under playfield supports.

#54 6 years ago

Looking at the rivets on the ball guides in those pictures I see the same rivets as we used in the Fathom guides. I also see the same flat style rivets used on the Seawitch ball guides in the photos I have. It would seem that Bally and Stern used different style rivets. The Star Gazer used double screws as well to hold the guides brackets in place. This would make me think if we use the Bally style rivets the guides integrity would be weaken. What would all parties interested in these prefer? Original or Bally style?

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Looking at the rivets on the ball guides in those pictures I see the same rivets as we used in the Fathom guides. I also see the same flat style rivets used on the Seawitch ball guides in the photos I have. It would seem that Bally and Stern used different style rivets. The Star Gazer used double screws as well to hold the guides brackets in place. This would make me think if we use the Bally style rivets the guides integrity would be weaken. What would all parties interested in these prefer? Original or Bally style?

Original

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

If using Bally is going to weaken the integrity of the guides, then by all means use original Stern style.

#57 6 years ago

add me to the list for a set as well

#58 6 years ago

Somebody asked if these guides where slightly off the playfield. The original ones are.

459E86D4-A11A-4B33-91D6-1E9C492462A0 (resized).jpeg459E86D4-A11A-4B33-91D6-1E9C492462A0 (resized).jpeg

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Original if feasible.

#60 6 years ago

I'm in for both Stargazer and Seawitch!!! Is there a Seawith thread?

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I'm in for both Stargazer and Seawitch!!! Is there a Seawith thread?

Yes. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-stainless-steel-ball-guides

#62 6 years ago

Any word on if it would be possible to get wire ball guides and/or under playfield supports reproduced along with the stainless steel ball guides?

#64 6 years ago

I'm will be in for a set if you would ship to Australia, I would also be in for wire ball guides and /or under playfield supports

#65 6 years ago

I would prefer original stern style rivets and mounts if possible.
Definitely also want a set of support rails if someone will make them. Will also take a set of wire guides as it will save me from having to make that big curved one.

#66 6 years ago

Please add me to the list. Thx!
Brian

#67 6 years ago

We're waiting for the sample ball guides to be delivered. When Kerry gets them he'll see what he can and cannot make. He's not sure about the wire guides but he will try. The under playfield brackets look like they could be done.

I'll post back with more info when we have news to report or questions to ask.

#68 6 years ago

Thanks for the update

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

We're waiting for the sample ball guides to be delivered.

So, what’s the verdict? Am I sending both wire and flat metal guides?

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

So, what’s the verdict? Am I sending both wire and flat metal guides?

As stated in my updated post. Kerry will look at everything once he has it to evaluate. The original post was for flat ball guides and those can be made. If you want additional parts to possibly be made. You should send them!

Thanks!

#71 6 years ago

Put me down for a set along with the wire guides if possible.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Orbian:

Kerry will look at everything once he has it to evaluate.

Kerry? Kerry Stair? I hope that's the Kerry you reference. He makes good quality stuff!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Kerry? Kerry Stair? I hope that's the Kerry you reference. He makes good quality stuff!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Yes! It's Kerry Stair! Same guy that made sure all the Big Bang Bar owners got their machines. The same guy who has made many good metal replacement parts and mods over the years.

http://www.mantisamusements.com/

#75 6 years ago

I would like to add the wire ball guides to my order as well if this becomes an option

#76 6 years ago

I’m shipping the flat guides, the wire guides and the under playfield rails to Kerry today.
The wire guides and PF rails being made is TBD until he sees them.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I’m shipping the flat guides, the wire guides and the under playfield rails to Kerry today.
The wire guides and PF rails being made is TBD until he sees them.

Great! Now go make some playfield aprons. I think there's allot of people waiting for those great reproductions. I know I'm waiting for more titles to be made.

#78 6 years ago

These are now delivered to Kerry.

#79 6 years ago

...and there was much rejoicing.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

...and there was much rejoicing.

tumblr_nxyzs0CxDM1uw94gao1_500 (resized).pngtumblr_nxyzs0CxDM1uw94gao1_500 (resized).png

1 week later
#81 6 years ago

Just wondering when the playfield support rails were first put on games? Neither of my two buddies' SGs have rails. Was this a mid production addition?

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Just wondering when the playfield support rails were first put on games? Neither of my two buddies' SGs have rails. Was this a mid production addition?

The supports seem to be on a lot of the earlier Sterns. I’ve had them on a Trident and Meteor but they weren’t installed on my Seawitch or Nine Ball. I bought a Cheetah playfield that had supports installed. Some people say they have them on later Sterns like Star Gazer. Maybe they were installed after production or Stern may have added them to certain runs for better support to correct warping or low grade playfields. The Seawitch and Nine Ball I have could use the supports since the screws attaching the rails line up with the holes on the supports from the earlier games.

#83 6 years ago

Neither of my Meteors had them. Can't remember if my Sea Witches had them, but I don't think so. Just interesting that some have it and some don't. Since I am told the repro playfields are slightly thinner, it is good to have the rails. At any rate, what kind of screws are used for the rails? Are they the same as the non-rail screws?

#84 6 years ago

My Seawitch did not, Meteor does.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Neither of my Meteors had them. Can't remember if my Sea Witches had them, but I don't think so. Just interesting that some have it and some don't. Since I am told the repro playfields are slightly thinner, it is good to have the rails. At any rate, what kind of screws are used for the rails? Are they the same as the non-rail screws?

My Hot Hand had had the rails. Nine Ball had the rails. Seawitch did not and got the HH rails. My Big Game did not have the rails but a Cheetah play field I bought had the rails and went to the Big Game. My Catacomb has the rails. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

The screws for the wood rails are counter sunk heads. The screws for the support rails are round head screws.

#87 6 years ago

I don’t think my Star Gazer or Big Game have the rails. What do they look like? Can someone post a pic?

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Can someone post a pic?

I already posted one on the first page of this thread.
It’s just some angle iron on the underside of the playfield for support. I suspect these were used to prevent bowing or warping issues?

13FA11E5-033A-4DF0-8AD4-BECE7A0D8162 (resized).jpeg13FA11E5-033A-4DF0-8AD4-BECE7A0D8162 (resized).jpeg

#89 6 years ago

Did they change the way the playfield is supported along the sides of the cabinet? That looks like it will lift the playfield 1/2" or so higher.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Did they change the way the playfield is supported along the sides of the cabinet? That looks like it will lift the playfield 1/2" or so higher.

The support rails do not affect how the play field sits. The play field's four corner "Z" brackets supports measure .70" (little less than 3/4" inch) away from the side of the cabinet. The support rails measure approximately .50" (1/2 inch) away from the side cabinet. This leaves a 1/4" clearance between the cornet supports and the rails.

If Stern supported the lower side their play field along its full length with a length of1" wide wood strip as did Bally and Williams, then the issue you describe would come into play. Since Stern only used four 3" long "Z" brackets at all four corners and the rails sit closer to the cabinet than the Z-Brackets there is never any interference.

I prefer the Bally play field support method of using a 1" wide wood strip that runs the length of the play field, but realized that by just using 4 corner supports as Stern did that Stern had the added room to hang wiring downeach side of the play field

#91 6 years ago

Ok, thank you. I have never personally seen a Stern with these supports so am curious.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I already posted one on the first page of this thread.
It’s just some angle iron on the underside of the playfield for support. I suspect these were used to prevent bowing or warping issues?

Thanks for that, I was thinking they were like service rails or something.

Both my Star Gazer and Big Game have these rails.

#93 6 years ago

Am I too late for a set???

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Am I too late for a set???

No your counted!

#95 6 years ago

I would also like to be counted in for a set of wire forms and under playfield supports if they are going to be produced, link to post ‘37’ please.

#96 6 years ago

Please count me in for two sets of guides, wire forms and supports if I'm not too late.

3 weeks later
#97 6 years ago

Orbian is there any chance a set for Stars will be made?

#98 6 years ago

Orbian, You have me down for a set of Star Gazer stainless top side right ?

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

orbian is there any chance a set for Stars will be made?

There's always a chance! There has to be enough people wanting them and the minimum number of pre-orders to start any run is 25.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Orbian, You have me down for a set of Star Gazer stainless top side right ?

Yes you're down!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-stainless-steel-ball-guides/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.