IMG_0653 (resized).JPG
IMG_0673 (resized).JPG
IMG_0651 (resized).JPG
IMG_0650 (resized).JPG
IMG_0652 (resized).JPG
IMG_0648 (resized).JPG
DSCN0076 (resized).JPG
IMG_0642 (resized).JPG
2c5a305b1bc01d48cb6069104b3f4dfc3e630ad9.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_1462 (resized).JPG
IMG_0638 (resized).JPG
IMG_0640 (resized).JPG
IMG_0625 (resized).JPG
IMG_0626 (resized).JPG
IMG_0621 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eh97ac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

Clean that corrosion all the way to the left side. From the pics, the green mask has bubbles under it. There is a thread on using toilet bowl cleaner to get rid of the corrosion.

#10 7 years ago

I tried the toilet bowl cleaner trick tonight and it works well, scrape of the green mask first with a wire brush.
Control lamps = Check the lamp board for voltage at test points, rectifier J1-7 and J3-6.

bally-pinout (resized).jpgbally-pinout (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

The wire in the housing of J3-12 should be re-done on the rectifier.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

2. Left flipper seems okay, but pressing the right flipper button instantly shuts the game down, with no flipper movement. After rebooting I only get 6 dings from the AllTek and nothing but GI. I assume the fuse is toast, haven't had a chance to look. Bought a circuit breaker from Digikey and will craft a fuse mount for it before investigating further.

The wire in the housing of J3-12 should be re-done on the rectifier. 43v for flippers

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Hi, can you clarify what you mean by "redone"? I assume you mean re-pinned?
Merry xmas, btw!

Correct and while your at it take a look at the rest of the wires and see if they need the same. J3 -1&2 could go in separate housings.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, further inspection of the flipper coil shows that neither appears to be wired correctly.
I've redone them to match this diagram from Vids flipper rebuild guide thread.

Now I have 43v at each coil lug and the F4 fuse blows as soon as the flipper button is pressed.
On a brighter note, I've updated the SDB with new capacitors, and removed a failed transistor for the knocker coil. I also implemented the best practice improvements noted in the pinwiki for this board.

I also received my new molex crimper today and used it to separate out of the ground wires that had been doubled up on J3 on the rectifier board, and replace a couple of other pins that were not 100%. I had originally doubled up the ground wires as I didn't have enough .156" pins for all of them on hand - a temporary solution to try to get the game playing while I waited for parts to arrive.

Great news on the pins, rectifier and SDB. Keep up the good work.

3 weeks later
#42 7 years ago

#4, razor blade
#5, replace Q13 with a MPS-A42

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Thanks! I haven't done a lot of board troubleshooting (been lucky that way) but am trying to learn as much as I can now.
Looking at the schematics I see that Q13 drives the top-line segment of the display. What I don't understand is why only the Player 3 display is affected? If Q13 was failing wouldn't it affect all the displays?

Q13 on the #3 display. Each display has it's on own Q13

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Looking at the schematics again (I'm using Seawitch ones none for Star Gazer) it would be Q8 as it's a 7-digit display, not 6 (Q13 would be for six).?
In any case, looking in the backbox I found this...

Once I re-pinned that broken wire the top segments on Player 3 started showing up.

Seawitch does say Q8, I was working of an Elektra manual....should have know better!

1 week later
#65 7 years ago

For the chips get them from Dave Astill in Ontario https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/astill
Get some ROM's too while your at it with Freeplay and Oliver's changes (http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_soft.html)
He might even have the regulator

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 3.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eh97ac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-rising?tu=eh97ac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.