I was lucky (?) enough to pick up a Star Gazer last week! I played a mint example of this game at the Vancouver FlipOut Pinball Expo this fall and when one came up locally I somewhat irrationally jumped at it. Wasn't planning on adding another game but how often does a Star Gazer come around? Answer: Not very often.
Overall the condition is, er, "interesting":
- Game is not working, previous owner had it for maybe 6 months and was unable to get it to work while he owned it.
- Cabinet is pretty clean, with a few unfortunate dings esp. in the front, and some fairly bad paint touchups.
- Backglass paint is fully separating from the glass and has been triple-thicked or something to keep it on the glass. Considering how much is bubbling it actually looks pretty decent, I've seen far worse. Unfortunately they didn't cover the score windows before spraying so I'll have to do something about that.
- Playfield is really planked and lots of smallish wear spots throughout. Some really clumsy paint touchups throughout as well. Looks okayish though, and the inserts are still quite level. Has the wrong pop bumper caps installed, I did receive 2 originals with the game, missing one. Two of the spinners are not original.
- Backbox boards look really clean, no hacks, except for what appears to be some slight battery leakage damage to the MPU.
- Inside the cabinet is near mint. New RottenDog rectifier board came with it, but not connected, totally missing the J3 plug, just loose wires.
As you can see the game is a bit of a project, and I've already got "too many" of those!
My short-term goal is to do a bit of minor cleanup and get it playing so I can add it to my lineup while I work on my other projects.
Long-term, I'm in the queue for a new PF from greatwichjohn and will also be getting one of his beautiful backglasses for it as well. So a complete playfield restore is in the cards eventually.
I don't have much experience with classic Sterns/Ballys so I'll post the issues with the game as I encounter them here and you can all help me solve them. Let's get this Star Gazer playing again!