Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by greatwichjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Sexy-Sag3.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I plan on new Star Gazer playfields being available around July 2013. Production starts early May for about 10 playfields. Cost $650 US shipped Canada/USA, slightly higher for overseas.

I have other cnc contractors, & printers. CPR has offered to be a backup supplier of pinball playfield plywood & cnc work if I have problems outsourcing from other vendors. I will continue to use the same contractor as CPR for finish clear coating of new or restoration playfields.

John Greatwich
www.greatpinball.com

#2 6 years ago

Great News John!!

#3 6 years ago

I will continue to use the same contractor as CPR for finish clear coating of new or restoration playfields.

Sounded great until this part.

I'd find a better clear coater if you want a top notch product.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-expect-from-a-new-cpr-playfield

Sexy-Sag3.jpg

#4 6 years ago

Congrats on the new store as well.

#5 6 years ago

Cool, love the arwork on stargazer, especially the backglass, and a fun game to play too!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-expect-from-a-new-cpr-playfield

Looks just as bad as my Tron Pro from Stern, lol....

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Looks just as bad as my Tron Pro from Stern, lol....

I cleared my Tron LE the moment I got it. Buffed it out to look like a sheet of glass - can't describe how fast it plays.

The bad part about the pictured playfield is that is was sold as Gold Class "our very best", LOL.

#8 6 years ago

Awesome news John. Count me in!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Surf's up, dude!

#10 6 years ago

All I can say is others & myself have had "premium service" from the CPR contractor doing clear coating. We pay more than the contract rate for the volume of playfields CPR sends through the shop. So our playfields are to a high standard of service. I can say that we are 100% satisfied with the service provided so far.

I can say also all the playfields that I purchased from CPR have been to a high standard. That the quality of clear is superior to that I see in the Stern pins I purchase as a dealer. If I can, I send my unpopulated Stern playfields out for clear coating to the same shop.

Hopefully the negative comments don't tarnish my future sales.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Hopefully the negative comments don't tarnish my future sales.

Hopefully not.

You are the "customer" with this clear coater guy.

You can specify harder coatings than the ones used on CPR playfields.

You can reject playfields that have sags, crud and fingerprints in the clear.

By being more selective on what you accept from him, you can INCREASE your future sales.

Good luck and good sales to you!

#12 6 years ago

I plan on new Star Gazer playfields being available around July 2013. Production starts early May for about 10 playfields. Cost $650 US shipped Canada/USA, slightly higher for overseas.
I have other cnc contractors, & printers. CPR has offered to be a backup supplier of pinball playfield plywood & cnc work if I have problems outsourcing from other vendors. I will continue to use the same contractor as CPR for finish clear coating of new or restoration playfields.
John Greatwich
http://www.greatpinball.com

Outstanding! Please count me in on this effort. Love the backglasses, too.

#13 6 years ago

John, You work on saving the Classic Stern line of pinballs is outstanding....Thank you!!!!...

Bill

#14 6 years ago

I'll take one.

Dave

#15 6 years ago

Please email me with your info, & I will put you on the list. You should provide your name, address, & phone info. Thanks

You should get confirmation from me. On vacation & pinball business 21st - March 20. Florida & Texas Shows.

#16 6 years ago

Will these be inkjet printed?

#17 6 years ago

Please email me with your info, & I will put you on the list. You should provide your name, address, & phone info. Thanks
You should get confirmation from me. On vacation & pinball business 21st - March 20. Florida & Texas Shows.

Man, glad to see so many people are going to the Texas show. I'm pumped about it. That is going to be my first show.

#18 6 years ago

John, I tried calling Mike H. but have had no reply. I am assuming his number I have is wrong. Any status on the direct ink Dragonfist glass.? I am looking forward to this one. You will see my DF at the festival. Was hoping for a new glass.!!....

I know he was close and I know you guys are swamped....Let me know...

Bill

#19 6 years ago

Yes the new playfields are going to be uv inkjet printed. Probably with the printer that does my backglass work. Restorations will still be done on the old Color Span, at the original printer that still does my store signage.

Mike Halse has been ill after Expo last year. So that is the hold up with everything he has ready to print. Hopefully when I return from vacation, he will be ready & new product will go out in April. The glass blanks are waiting here, & new Seawitch playfields will be done after Star Gazer.

His phone number is still the same. Yes I have a shitty Dragonfist glass also that needs replacing.

#20 6 years ago

Hi greatwichjohn,

I am interested in a Stargazer playfield. Are you only making 10, or is that only the first batch? Is your plan to have Seawitch playfields available later this year, or next?

Thanks,
Gabe

#21 6 years ago

Hey John,
Not sure your licensing deal but as you have Sorcerer ready set up would you ever produce these as new playfields.
Thanks.

1 week later
#22 6 years ago

If so, I would absolutely purchase a new Sorcerer playfield.

#23 6 years ago

John, if there was any doubt in your mind, I'm in for a StarGazer PF.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

3 weeks later
#24 6 years ago

I also want in on the list of reproduction Stargazer playfields.

#25 6 years ago

John is truly an asset to the hobby. Met him at last year's Allentown show. Could NOT be a nicer guy, with a passion for the game unlike anyone I have ever met. His products were incredibly nice, and I see no reason why this would be any different.

Good luck John!

Chris

#26 6 years ago

Nice! Very nice! And I'm still waiting on pins and needles for you to get Dragonfist items going!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hopefully not.
You are the "customer" with this clear coater guy.
You can specify harder coatings than the ones used on CPR playfields.
You can reject playfields that have sags, crud and fingerprints in the clear.
By being more selective on what you accept from him, you can INCREASE your future sales.
Good luck and good sales to you!

While harder clear may be good for keeping playfields from dimpling, it's worse IMHO to see the clear separating from the wood because it's harder. Clear should be flexible to adhere to the wood. Dimples in the wood result in dimples of the clear because the clear is adhering properly to the wood. The wood is to blame when this happens, not the clear. Ultra hard clear looks terrible, over time.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

While harder clear may be good for keeping playfields from dimpling, it's worse IMHO to see the clear separating from the wood because it's harder. Clear should be flexible to adhere to the wood. Dimples in the wood result in dimples of the clear because the clear is adhering properly to the wood. The wood is to blame when this happens, not the clear.

The clear does not really keep the playfield from dimpling. We tried a bunch of 2 part clearcoats on the pneumatic drop hardness tester at work, they were all basically the same. The tests included Dupont Diamondplate, ChromaClear and the much beloved JC661.

None of the drop tests caused the clear to lose adhesion to the substrate.

Keeping the clear from separating from the substrate is a combo of the substrate having enough "tooth", the "heat" of the solvents and of course proper prep around lane switches and the like.

Where the harder coatings really stood out was in the abrasion tests and the amount of polish the surface could be brought up to.

#29 6 years ago

***Update on new playfields***
I have been talking with Marco Specialties - Marc Mandeltort, Planetary Pinball - Rick Bartlett, & Steve Young - Pinball Resource about sourcing the light lenses for playfield production. This is towards initial Stern playfields, but you can see where this might lead towards other production of low demand playfields.

Right now I'm looking for a worn out donor playfield. So I can get the cut file done. I have given up on a list of people wanting playfields. Not because there is low demand (10+), but because it isn't really any benefit.

2 weeks later
#30 6 years ago

Update: Plywood is being order early May. It is going to be 1/2" hard maple veneer A1 both sides using Baltic birch core. It is custom ordered & manufactured in Canada, with a 3 - 4 week lead time for production. I'm waiting on either Star Gazer or Seawitch donor playfield arriving this month. The cnc shop will take the playfield & get the info for milling with the cnc.

Playfields will be available this summer 2013 @ $600 US shipped USA/Canada. There is no list, so keep an eye out. All playfields will be done on demand, so there is no great panic unless I drop dead.

#31 6 years ago

As to the question about Sorcerer or other WMS playfields. I would wait & see. I'm very close to a deal for backglass work. Just have to hopefully tweak the glass for Rick Bartlett, Planetary Pinball higher standards. Compared to my Stern & Gottlieb LLC production, which has been done the last year.

#32 6 years ago

John, what has to be done to the donor playfield for them to get the millwork set up?

#33 6 years ago

I compare the printed copy of art for Star Gazer & Seawitch with donor playfields. Then I figure out what is needed to be done. Having the guys at CPR, & visiting their workshops has given me some insight into what is involved. Along with seeing other cnc at work with my other contractors. Also I have helped glue some of the playfields of theirs in the past.

I'm going it alone with the use of my contractors, sourcing my own plywood made in Canada, & everything else involved with production on demand.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside