IMG_0791 (resized).JPG
IMG_0786 (resized).JPG
IMG_0785 (resized).JPG
IMG_0783 (resized).JPG
IMG_0782 (resized).JPG
IMG_0788 (resized).JPG
IMG_0789 (resized).JPG
IMG_0781 (resized).JPG
There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing.

#102 5 years ago

Can i ask you where do you buy the bare wire?

#103 5 years ago

And voila. I have no idea why the shoot again light is blinking to start with. I'll have to look into that. Meanwhile, I have made adjustments to my jig and can now start pumping out orders at twice (or better) the previous speed!

Shawn

#104 5 years ago

I get it from the same wholesaler that I get my regular wire from and sell it in my Pinside shop for $.50 a foot plus (US)shipping for 25'. At 50' (US)shipping is included. (You'll have to PM me with your address for Canada shipping rates.) Probably my best seller. And thanks for asking. I just realized I hadn't relisted it back in my shop since I unlisted it when my last reel ran out. Got a fresh 1000' reel ready to go. Try not to drool.

Shawn

IMG_0797 (resized).JPGIMG_0797 (resized).JPG

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Part of the back box kit is the power harness for the GI and controlled lamps on the insert. Red and white will power one GI run and the green and orange wires will power the other.

I have not really sat down and tried to figure out the logic of the wiring. That will come later. Buy why does Stern have a R/W pair of GI wires and also a O/G G-I pair, as well ?

My Big Game has two separate circuits for controlled wires on the play field? I dod not understand that.

#106 5 years ago

The more bulbs you have on one circuit the higher the temp will get on the crimp which is what I perceive to be the weakest link in the circuit. I assume at some point they decided it to be best to split the load between two circuits. Also, if one goes down the other is still lit and you're still making quarters. Different colors so you don't mix them up? Bally does the same thing on theirs so I would assume the whole industry does. Just a guess.

Star Gazer also has two controlled lamp circuits on the P/F. I guess because there's that many lamps that could be lit at once?

#107 5 years ago

I think my Dragonfist shoot again light blinks during attract mode. Possible that Star Gazer does the same thing?

#108 5 years ago

Could be, never thought of that! I'm a Bally guy not a Stern guy so...

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

The more bulbs you have on one circuit the higher the temp will get on the crimp which is what I perceive to be the weakest link in the circuit. I assume at some point they decided it to be best to split the load between two circuits. Also, if one goes down the other is still lit and you're still making quarters. Different colors so you don't mix them up? Bally does the same thing on theirs so I would assume the whole industry does. Just a guess.
Star Gazer also has two controlled lamp circuits on the P/F. I guess because there's that many lamps that could be lit at once?

That sounds reasonable.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I have no idea why the shoot again light is blinking to start with.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

I think my Dragonfist shoot again light blinks during attract mode. Possible that Star Gazer does the same thing?

Yes, the shoot again light blinks in attract mode.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yes, the shoot again light blinks in attract mode.

I was going to put up the "The More You Know" meme but I'm too lazy...

1 week later
#112 5 years ago

As promised - 5% of sales generated through this thread that did not go through the store. Thanks to all of you!

Shawn

20181007_235916 (resized).jpg20181007_235916 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#113 5 years ago

Random question, but what size screws are needed to mount the light sockets to the playfield. I'm guessing 3/8" wood screws but I wanted to double check with those who know better than I would.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

Random question, but what size screws are needed to mount the light sockets to the playfield. I'm guessing 3/8" wood screws but I wanted to double check with those who know better than I would.

#4 3/8" wood screws.

DOUBLE CHECK. The repro Star Gazer play field is only 7/16" thick. It is not 1/2" thick.

Take your screw and whatever you are going to attach and place them at the side of the play field to make sure the screw will not go through the play field.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

#4 3/8" wood screws.
DOUBLE CHECK. The repro Star Gazer play field is only 7/16" thick. It is not 1/2" thick.
Take your screw and whatever you are going to attach and place them at the side of the play field to make sure the screw will not go through the play field.

yeah 1/2" screws are not the way to go. already checked. just wanted confirmation abou the 3/8" part

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

yeah 1/2" screws are not the way to go. already checked. just wanted confirmation abou the 3/8" part

Make sure you double check. Even 3/8 makes me nervous. 7/16 -3/8 = 1/16" is all you have between the tip of the screw and the the top of the play field.

I have gone so far as to grind about 1/16" off the tips of some of the screws i Have used.

1 week later
#117 5 years ago

I have started stringing up the play field lights part of the harness on my Star Gazer build. This is nice stuff. I cannot imagine how many hours Shawn's harness kit is going to save me.

I restrung the harness on my Big Game and it seemed like the Stern wiring employees would see how many times they could wrap wires around and through every other wire when wiring from point "A" to point "B". It was one big mess to trace wires on. It seems like they did everything except tie the wires in knots.

Shawn's harness looms are laid out straight and true. The wires, as much can be possible with a wire harness, are all parallel to each other.

The instructions, if you read them--and you should--, are clear and concise. However, you will need to reference this picture that was posted several posts above to get a good idea on how the wires attach within the "bonus star".

IMG_9044 2 (resized).JPGIMG_9044 2 (resized).JPG

This picture is the best roadmap you could ask for. Especially for center bonus star.

Unknown-2 (resized).jpegUnknown-2 (resized).jpeg

I learned how to read Stern's drawings when I restored my Big Game and I must confess that I used Stern's drawings when I started this job. But I got stuck on just how to wire the bonus star and had to refer to the above picture and the included instructions to figure it out. Also, the 8 lights down between the flippers were a bit of a puzzle using Sterns drawings. But the instructions make perfectly clear on how to wire those 8 lights up.

Also, since I was referring to Stern's drawings I installed two wires in an incorrect way. And then I saw Shawn's pic that corrected Stern's blueprint.(see post #82).

d39cfb121bcc836b29aa7039e935c64ec33cf808 (resized).jpgd39cfb121bcc836b29aa7039e935c64ec33cf808 (resized).jpg

BRAVO !! Bravo Shawn !! That's about all I can say. Just BRAVO !!

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-harnesses-back-box-and-play-field/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.