(Topic ID: 293400)

Star Gazer comes to life. Two long years.

By cottonm4

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bluespin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7588 (resized).jpg
IMG_7447 (resized).jpg
IMG_7442 (resized).jpg
IMG_7443 (resized).jpg
IMG_7435 (resized).jpg
IMG_7449 (resized).jpg
IMG_7448 (resized).jpg
IMG_7441 (resized).jpg
IMG_7418 (resized).jpg
IMG_7417 (resized).jpg
IMG_7429 (resized).JPG
IMG_7385 (resized).JPG
IMG_7412 (resized).jpg
IMG_7409 (resized).jpg
IMG_7297 (resized).JPG
IMG_2104 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I finally plugged it in tonight. I breathed a sigh of relief as it fired right up. I'll post a few more pictures as time goes on. I have much detail work in front of me. I am probably going to have some questions, too.

Like the Star Gazers being built, it is a Greatwich play field and back glass, and a Third Coast Pinball play field harness. And Pinball Pimp stencils. Without these three suppliers, none of this would be happening. I got into this hobby at just the right time.

IMG_6350 (resized).JPGIMG_6350 (resized).JPG

I started this two years ago. Other things and life intervened. Right now I have it sitting in my Seawitch cabinet while I work some final items in my converted Dracula cabinet.

It plays. But I have some issues with the drop targets and have a couple of switches and lights acting up. All I can say is that it is impressive when the flippers kick the ball all the way to the top. It is going to be fast.

I started the cab two years ago. Here is the link for that. It was a filthy, beer soaked, beat up Dracula cab. I had to rebuild a lot of corners. I had to replace the floor.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-stern-dracula-cabinet-for-duty-for-star-gazer

There are more pics at the link.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#5 2 years ago

I decided early one that I did not want to to a "straight" restoration. It is not a restoration. It is a new build. I like my Sterns but I do not like how the play field sits in the cabinet on those metal "Z" angles that require you to lift the play in the air to return it from the "leaning back service position" into playing position. I have replaced the "Z" angles with support brackets from an old Gottlieb cabinet. With this setup, it is super easy to move the play field into the upright service position and then back into playing position.

I have one more minor mod to make to this Gottlieb support to make it complete.

IMG_6354 (resized).jpgIMG_6354 (resized).jpg

#7 2 years ago

Along those same lines that this is not a 100% restoration, I made a modified lamp board to give a more even light behind the back glass. The LED light tape operates on house current. I still have to work out how I will hook this up to turn on at the same time I turn the pin on. I will most likely add an extra pole to the on-off cabinet switch and tap into the service outlet wiring.

The adhesive backed LED strip is pressed onto some shiny whiteboard I got at Home Depot.

IMG_6357 (resized).jpgIMG_6357 (resized).jpg

IMG_6358 (resized).jpgIMG_6358 (resized).jpg

IMG_6363 (resized).jpgIMG_6363 (resized).jpg

The reason I decided to go this way was as a means to avoid light spots behind the back glass.

The LED light strip gives a nice even glow to the back glass, however, with the way I built the lamp board, it leaves a semi-dark halo around the edges. It looks better in real life than in the pic, so it is tradeoff I will live with---unless I can figure out a way to light up the edges.

IMG_6362 (resized).jpgIMG_6362 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It looks fabulous in the pic. I would leave it the way it is.

Thank you. That means a lot.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

What kind of paint did you use for blue on the cab? Looks like a good match.

Only the finest

(You are looking at a brand new can of white that I dropped and broke the nozzle off of. $4.00 worth of paint I cannot use ).

After the color was applied, I hit it with several coats of automotive clear.

IMG_6369 (resized).JPGIMG_6369 (resized).JPG

#15 2 years ago

I lost some pics due to a computer glitch. So I have to improvise.

I saw the copper tape usage in a thread and liked the way it looked ( I think it was one of Vid's threads ). This is the Quicksilver I am starting. The copper tape is used to feed power to all feature lights. I did this on my Big Game and have gotten good results. The advantage is you can remove any extra wiring from the harness. And you screw your feature lights tight to the copper tape and only have to solder the individual feature wire to each lamp socket tab. And if you need to change bulbs, instead of having to bend the socket backwards, now you can just unscrew it.

Some may value this, or not.

IMG_6173 (resized).jpgIMG_6173 (resized).jpg

This is the GI wiring for Quicksilver. When using the copper tape, it is easier to use fully insulated red and white GI wire instead of trying to insulate any points where bare GI wire would cross over the copper tape.

IMG_6250 (resized).jpgIMG_6250 (resized).jpg

This is Star Gazer. The wiring is complete. You can see the copper tape buried under everything. Shawn at TCP included enough wiring that I was able to roll it up and tie wrap it. Every wire has enough extra wire wrapped up so sometime in the future, if extra wire is needed, then clip some tie wraps and get the length you need to reach that switch etc.

IMG_6365 (resized).jpgIMG_6365 (resized).jpg

IMG_6366 (resized).jpgIMG_6366 (resized).jpg

Shawn sent out this Star Gazer play field harness in 3 groups.

( I like to build things that can be disassembled easily. That comes from repairing too many car parts that were supposed to thrown away ).

#1) There was a separate harness for the feature lights. This is the harness that is closest to the play field. Following Shawn's instructions, I wired the feature lights first.

# 2) Next was the switch harness. It is now living in between harness #1 and harness #3.

#3) This is the solenoids harness. It sits on top of the stack. The pops and drops are Molex-ed. So if needed, all I would need to do is disconnect the wire at the slings and slo-blo fuse holder, cut a few tie wraps and peel the entire solenoids back to freely expose the switch harness. If you wish to unscrew all of the switches, then the switch harness can be peeled back to expose the lamps harness.

IMG_6367 (resized).jpgIMG_6367 (resized).jpg

Frying a solenoid coil and blowing fuses is no fun. Neither is trying to find the offending coil. Real quick, I learned to hate having to cut the yellow wires at the slo-blo fuse to see where the problem lies. So I double fused the solenoids. This way, if a slo-blo blows it is only going be be from one bank of wires. With Star Gazer, I have the left drop, left sling, top pop, center pop, and the top drop wired to one yellow wire. And I have the out hole, right sling, right drop, and right drop on the other yellow wire.

This will make it easier to trouble shoot just by pulling each fuse instead of cutting wire and re-soldering. To help with traceability, I have all right hand side yellow wire marked with small red tie wraps and the left side marked chartreuse/green tie wraps.

IMG_6370 (resized).JPGIMG_6370 (resized).JPG

Is all of this overkill? That could be argued as affirmative quite easily. Hopefully, the pin will never give me problems and I will just be able to play with abandon. However, at some time in the future, whoever owns this pin might benefit with this wiring set up and will thank "that guy" for building it like this.

I'm not all that great with electronics but I do like running wiring. Overkill or not, I had a good time wiring this up.

#17 2 years ago

One thing I learned from Nine Ball is that adjusting the drop target switches is an impossible exercise with the drops being all the way to the back of the play field. There is just no easy way to access the switches should they need adjusting. So, on the drop in the back of the play field on Star Gazer, I have installed the switches as they were installed on the earlier Sterns. I have them mounted to the bottom of the drop target assy.

I have heard a couple of people say that the switches sitting on the bottom of the drop assy. can cause problems, but my Dragonfist came to me with the back drop assy. having the switches mounted on the bottom. It has never given me problems.

You can use your imagination as to how easy, or hard, those switches would be to adjust if they were mounted on the back for the drop assy. with a pop bumper also in the way. For the 2 drops on either side of the play field, that are easily accessed and have been left alone.

IMG_6365 (resized).jpgIMG_6365 (resized).jpg

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also I'm looking at your flipper switches... did you use the push-on tab connectors instead of direct soldering ? I was debating using those, until others talked me out of it. Soldering all those individual connections was a pain for me, but I also know the connections are rock solid now.

When I brought my worn out and routed Seawitch home I did the normal basic shop job. And then started playing. I had a light go out. I lift the play field and see a broken wire swinging. I fixed it and went back to playing. I lost another light and saw I had another wire hanging.

You know how you can take a piece of metal and if you keep bending it back and forth it will break? Sure you do.

I lifted the play field and started looking around. IIRC, I had at least 15 wires that were hanging by one strand of wire as the other wires flexed too many times from the nudging. All of those wires were just swinging in the breeze and "bending" the wire strands.

Now, I go for "tight". I want my wires locked down so there is minimal flex and reduced chance of wire breakage sometime down the road.

This is how I do my flippers.

IMG_6373 (resized).JPGIMG_6373 (resized).JPG

There is something here that I do that is not proper soldering for pin wiring. You are supposed to insert the wire into the hole on the tab and then solder. When all those wires were broken, they are all broken from behind the solder joint; The solder joint was still intact but the wire was broken.

A proper solder job did not keep the wires from breaking. A minor PIA is trying to dig all of those loose, soldered wires out of those tab holes. I have better things to do, so I solder improperly and will take my chances with a solder joint coming apart. Hopefully, tie wrapping and making the wires tight will keep it all together.

#20 2 years ago

One other thing I do is replace the prop stick. I don't like watching my cleared play fields flex in the breeze when I have the play field propped up. So, what I do is make a prop from some copper plumbing tube.

My Seawitch cab in its filthy glory.

The prop gives me good, solid, play field support in the center of the play field. I use a PVC end cap as a capture point for the prop.

IMG_6371 (resized).JPGIMG_6371 (resized).JPG

IMG_6372 (resized).JPGIMG_6372 (resized).JPG

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was wondering what that PVC was for. Nice solution

Big Game forced this one on me. That is a huge, wide, and heavy play field. It sagged so bad on the prop stick that I had to come up with something.

Catacomb has 4 drop targets and it almost falls off of the prop stick.

#23 2 years ago

I added some of those Bright Caps pop bumper lights. They look fantastic in person. They do not photograph well, at all.

https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html

IMG_6389 (resized).jpgIMG_6389 (resized).jpg

You can see the nice reflections in the play field.

IMG_6386 (resized).jpgIMG_6386 (resized).jpg

I tried to knock down the glare for this pic by laying a piece of paper on top. These are the cool white light units. What is cool is that they really light up the pop bumper housings and give them a bluish tinge.

IMG_6391 (resized).jpgIMG_6391 (resized).jpg

There is enough room to use these, at least in this Seawitch cabinet I am using. There is room for the play field glass to install. It is close. Only about a 1/4" of room to spare.

IMG_6395 (resized).JPGIMG_6395 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#27 2 years ago

The past few days has been taken up with locating and repairing switches that were not acting right.

I had one SU target switch wired backwards. I also managed to wire my slingshots backwards. I also had a problem with one of the drop target assemblies. I bought these drop assemblies in different places or removed them from different play fields. On one of those drop assemblies, the switches were stacked backwards which throws you off balance on how to wire up the 3-bank target switch assembly; This one drop assembly looked just like the other two, but it was not. That cost me a few hours before I finally figured it out.
========================

I finally made the only two wire guides used on Star Gazer. Per one of Vid's threads, I picked up on the thought to use .093 stainless welding rod. It worked fabulously. The rod is soft enough to bend by hand but hard enough to retain its shape when being used as a ball guide.

To make the 90 degree bends all that was needed was a small bench vise and elbow grease.

IMG_6466 (resized).JPGIMG_6466 (resized).JPG

IMG_6467 (resized).JPGIMG_6467 (resized).JPG

IMG_6468 (resized).JPGIMG_6468 (resized).JPG

I still need to figure out why 4 feature lights are not working, but the heavy lifting is done. I need to make some tweaks and small adjustments and the play field will be done.

I have a few minor items to gather up on the cabinet and it will be done. I am giving myself 2 to 3 weeks for having it finished.

It is a blast to play. Very fast game.

#29 2 years ago

I have run into some issues with my wiring that I am discussing on the Stern Electronics thread. So, my completion schedule has been altered.

Doing a new build is a bit a of a challenge. While playing some test game and putting the pin through its paces, my right flipper quit working. I'll spare you the drama. On my right hand Pinball Life flipper assembly, a switch contact fell off of a switch blade.

IMG_6504 (resized).jpgIMG_6504 (resized).jpg

IMG_6503 (resized).jpgIMG_6503 (resized).jpg

Fortunately, I have some spare contacts I got from Steve at PBR so it will be no problem to replace the missing contact. Right? Wrong. Unfortunately the hole in the Pinball Life switch blade is 3 times the size of hole needed for the replacement contact I got from Steve. Fortunately, I also have some spare switch blades I got from Steve. So, I had to build up a spare blade and do an R & R.

I am most likely going to put the play field back on the rotisserie as I look for my wiring issue.

I'll add new info. as it comes available.

1 month later
#30 2 years ago

I had to take a break on Star Gazer. I had it together and ran into an electrical problem that threw me for a loop. The problem was a defective switch on a drop target assembly. I just swapped drop assemblies and the problem went away. I'll check for the defect/problem a little later on down the line.

I have the pin playing 100%. But I have 4 feature lights that are not burning, so this is my next trouble shooting job. And then the play field will be done.

Things I have learned with this build:

Let's talk about making ball guides for Star Gazer.

1) Bought a container of stainless steel welding rod. I will have other uses for it, but would suggest you just visit a weld shop and offer to buy a couple of sticks for a $1.00 each; Something like that.

This material is easy to bend. You can bend it with a pair of pliers but I would recommend having a bench vice.

IMG_6866 (resized).JPGIMG_6866 (resized).JPG

There are 2 wire type ball guides that you have to make.

This is the upper ball guide. This is my 2nd try at making this guide.

IMG_6867 (resized).JPGIMG_6867 (resized).JPG

IMG_6856 (resized).jpgIMG_6856 (resized).jpg

The problem with my 1st guide is that it was a little flat at the top and a ball could stop on the flat spot and get hung up on the guide. so, with number two attempt at it I made it into a little bit more of a peak right at the end and cured the problem. It is not that critical with how much rod you use and how long you make your guide. All that is really needed is to leave enough room for the ball to get past the guide and enter the play field.

The lower ball guide has to be worked a little different. What you are going to see is that there is slight bow in the rod I used to make this guide. I'll offer up my logic for the bow in the guide.

When bending metal, you have to understand something called "bend allowance". Basically, when you bend a piece of metal into a 90 degree angle, the metal will stretch at the bend points. Without knowing the formula for bend allowance ( I used to know the formulas but have forgotten them ) when you make your bends on both ends of your guide you probably will have a piece of wire or metal that will not fit.

With my first ball guide for the lower guide it was just a hair too short. I could make it fit in the 2 locating holes but it was trying to pull itself out of one of the holes. So, I made a 2nd guide, made it about 1/8" longer and got it into position by making a small bow in the wire. This keeps you from having to learn bend allowances.

IMG_6864 (resized).jpgIMG_6864 (resized).jpg

One more thing about this weld rod I am using:

You will see that the labeling shows the rod as being 3/32" in diameter. 3/32 = .093" But actually, the weld rod company is cheating and I caught them. This rod measures only .091". I have measured every rod with my calipers and they all check at .091. .002" is a minuscule amount of difference but it can hose you up. Make sure you double check any weld rod you might use for what size it really is BEFORE you drill hours ball guide holes.

IMG_6866 (resized).JPGIMG_6866 (resized).JPG

#31 2 years ago

You all have heard of Murphy's law which states that "If anything can go wrong, it will".

Well, I'm the guy who makes Murphy's law come to life. If there are 100 boxes of product on the shelf and 99 are working 100% and one unit was crushed in the box, I'm the guy who will manage to bring home the unit that was crushed the box .

I'm that guy.

Check out these mangled drop target switches that are bent in all different directions. I'm the guy who made this happen.

IMG_6858 (resized).jpgIMG_6858 (resized).jpg

How did this happen?

I thought you would never ask.

This is the set of drop targets in question. They are on the left hand side of the play field.

IMG_6868 (resized).JPGIMG_6868 (resized).JPG

And when you go to lift the play field and pull it back so you can flip it forward to stand up, those switches on this drop assembly are on a collision course with the slam tilt "U" channel on the tilt board. I am holding this channel up for the photo. I removed it from the tilt board after I managed to jam the switches into it for a 2nd time.

IMG_6863 (resized).jpgIMG_6863 (resized).jpg

OK, Star Gazer owners. You heard it hear first. Make sure you really lift the play field up before you pull back on your play field and jam these switches into the slam tilt channel.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

You're killing me

So you think a guy stepping on his own pork is a funny laughing matter, huh?

I got news for you. So do I. I'd be laughing my ass off it was happening to someone else

I was not laughing at the time. But I am getting to where I can start to grin about it.

#36 2 years ago

I am getting ready to buy all of the last parts I need for this build. I need to buy displays. Which displays should I buy?

1 month later
#37 2 years ago

I'm still progressing on my Star Gazer build. It took me awhile to figure out how I was going to power my back box lighting. My back box lighting runs on household voltage. It is on it own separate circuit For the longest time I had a plan on how I would power this lighting. And then, out of the blue, I figured out how I was going to light it up.

10e6272c8cbe4348be64017d38cf547a871ab5e1 (resized).jpg10e6272c8cbe4348be64017d38cf547a871ab5e1 (resized).jpg

First was finding a source of house voltage. At first, I thought I would tap into power at the service outlet on the tilt board. But the outlet is unswitched and I need a power source I can switch on and off with the pinball machine. Splicing wires and tapping in out the service outlet just "felt" like it would be too cumbersome.

IMG_7259 (resized).JPGIMG_7259 (resized).JPG

After months of thinking about a power source, the answer came to me in about 5 minutes. I tapped into the line filter at the lower left side of the cabinet.

IMG_7256 (resized).jpgIMG_7256 (resized).jpg

Tapping into power at the line filter allowed my to add in a electrical junction box. This pic also shows the power brick/transformer for the back box lighting plugged in and ready to power the back box lights.

I set it up so it can be disconnected/unplugged from the line filter. My logic for doing this is to make it easy to service should the wall socket ever need to be replaced. Basically, I did it for serviceability.

IMG_7251 (resized).jpgIMG_7251 (resized).jpg

IMG_7257 (resized).jpgIMG_7257 (resized).jpg

In this pic, you can see a length of white lamp cord running down the left side of the cab and crossing over to the right side where the pin's power switch is located. You can see my test bulb plugged in; It has passed the light bulb test.

IMG_7247 (resized).jpgIMG_7247 (resized).jpg

And here is the switch that controls the back box lighting. For the longest time I was trying to figure out how to switch this setup. Finding an pinball style On-Off toggle switch that could handle one more load item proved to be an impossibility for me. To get the two extra lugs I would need is something I could only find in an On-Off-On configuration which would not work.

I settled on adding a separate switch. Doing it this has allowed the back box lighting to become its own separate circuit, completely independent of any other pinball wiring. I'm still trying to figure out how to join the two toggle switches On-Off levers so only one switch movement is needed, but it will probably always be two switches will have to thrown to get the pin ready to play.

I still have a couple of other small details to complete inside the cab and then I will be ready to set the back box on.

IMG_7255 (resized).jpgIMG_7255 (resized).jpg
#38 2 years ago

I have the coin door completed. Since this will be a home use pin, the coin lockout parts have been stripped out.

The coin slots have been filled with some red plexiglass "levers" to add credits to the pin.

IMG_7260 (resized).JPGIMG_7260 (resized).JPG

IMG_7261 (resized).JPGIMG_7261 (resized).JPG

Credits can be added by pushing the red levers, or the door can be opened and the Cherry switch activating wire can be accessed manually.

And the red levers are Molexed so that they can be disabled if needed. If I want make sure no one can add credits I can disconnect the red levers, lock the coin door and no one can add credits except the one who holds the coin door key.

IMG_7262 (resized).JPGIMG_7262 (resized).JPG

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I rewired the service outlet to the main power switch, so it was only "on" when the game was powered on.

Cool. Where did you tap into the 12 volts at?

#45 2 years ago

I just wired the service outlet to the power switch. Then service outlet + a 12v wall tap, secured with zip ties so it wouldn't get jostled.
[quoted image]

I'll file this away in my "Why didn't I think of that" note book. I could have placed my electrical service box where you placed your outlet and tapped the wiring as you did. It would have save me around $15.00.

how do you like the 12 volts?

What type brand of light strips did you use?

#47 2 years ago

I'm waiting for some flipper switch contacts to come in from PBR so I can rebuild the flipper switches.

Other than this, the cabinet is done. Including the ground straps on the coin door and coin door trim pieces and the stainless side rails are also properly grounded. But I still need to add all of the stapled paper work.

And I need to clean up my extra wiring that will light up the back box. I am going to add a fuse for this wiring down next to the On-Off switches. There is going to be a lot of high voltage in that corner so I made a tent of clear plastic that lays over the top of the entire switch area.

IMG_7294 (resized).JPGIMG_7294 (resized).JPG

It looks like I need to turn my high voltage waring sign around.

IMG_7295 (resized).JPGIMG_7295 (resized).JPG

IMG_7293 (resized).JPGIMG_7293 (resized).JPG

#49 2 years ago

Looks like your volume pot and knocker strike plate are still needing to be installed. I also noticed when putting mine together that the new harnesses don't include a built-in ground to the rectifier board mounting plate like the originals do.
Thanks for the tip on the new speakers. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds compared to the stock ones.
[quoted image]

Thank you. I forgot to show the volume pot. I moved it to the coin door for easier access. The pot harness is tie wrapped to the coin door harness if it ever needs to be moved. ( There is a coin catching "funnel" hidden inside the metal bracket. I had to remove some of the factory metal from that coin catcher to make room for the pot.

The big reason I made this move is that the Dracula cabinet is built different than your donor cab. The speaker sits farther back and behind the cross-tie board, making the pot harder to reach. I like it. I think I will do my other Sterns this way, too.

Thanks for the tip on the missing ground wire. I will borrow your solution.

I'm looking for my knocker plate in my parts stash.

IMG_7297 (resized).JPGIMG_7297 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#50 2 years ago

Looks like your volume pot and knocker strike plate are still needing to be installed. I also noticed when putting mine together that the new harnesses don't include a built-in ground to the rectifier board mounting plate like the originals do.
Thanks for the tip on the new speakers. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds compared to the stock ones.
[quoted image]

I can tell you the difference in sound is tremendous.

#51 2 years ago

It is finished. A friend came over and put it through its paces. I have some minor tweaking to do on a pop bumper and the upper drop target.

IMG_7385 (resized).JPGIMG_7385 (resized).JPG

It took a long time to figure out how I was going to store the prop rod when not in use. I finally hit on the idea to make a "squeeze" clamp and mounted it to the transformer board. It works great. The prop rod works great, too. It is mounted to support the middle of the play field for balanced support; Those flimsy prop sticks that Stern used don't cut it. Especially on a huge, heavy play field like Big Game. I have made prop rods like this for all my Sterns.

IMG_7409 (resized).jpgIMG_7409 (resized).jpg

IMG_7412 (resized).jpgIMG_7412 (resized).jpg

I owned a Williams Laser Que for awhile. One thing I liked about LC is that Williams added a handle on the lower side of the play field to use while you were leaning the play field up on the back box. I'm not a tall person so leaning a play field backwards is long reach. I figured why not, and made a helper handle for Star Gazer.

IMG_7429 (resized).JPGIMG_7429 (resized).JPG

The neat thing about these plastic pop bumper bases is that the switches are part of the assembly. So when you need to work on a pop, all it takes is remove 4 screws and disconnect the pop--if you have it connected with Molex connectors.

One other part/tool I stumbled onto several months back are these Moon connectors I got on Amazon. They are great for pop bumper lights. Just lift the clamping arm and the pop light wire is free. And now you can place the pop on the bench and adjust what you need to adjust.

IMG_7417 (resized).jpgIMG_7417 (resized).jpg

IMG_7418 (resized).jpgIMG_7418 (resized).jpg

And way down in the back you can see all of the wiring. Shawn at Third Coast gives you plenty of wire.

Thanks for looking.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm considering ordering a pair this morning.
CH6530, Ebay for $25 shipped

My play field restore guy said it you really want to juice the sound then get oblong style speakers. The problem with that style is that you you have to cut a 6 x 9 hole in the cab floor.

#55 2 years ago

Laying awake in the wee hours of the morning I got hit with the idea of one last trick I want to do with this Stargazer. I need to find some LEDs that are on printed circuit boards. I know that are out there.

Stern used these circuit board LEDs to light up the Munsters topper. They have a part number and I viewed them on Marco's pages when I had my Munsters topper apart. I can't remember the part number and I don't know what these kinds of LEDs are called.

Does anybody know where I can find a part number for LEDs on circuit board material?

Thanks.

#57 2 years ago

Thank you !!!! That is exactly what I meant. I f I can get some of these I am going to blow your doors off.

#58 2 years ago

I am going to have to make a Seawitch style dam to keep the ball on the play field.

IMG_7441 (resized).jpgIMG_7441 (resized).jpg

#60 2 years ago

I ran into a problem with some drop targets. A couple would not drop and if I pushed on them to drop them they just pushed back.

Here was the problem I ran into.

See the screws?

IMG_7449 (resized).jpgIMG_7449 (resized).jpg

See the screws pushing through the backside of the plate?

IMG_7448 (resized).jpgIMG_7448 (resized).jpg

See the drop target drop lever crashing into the screw thread. This causes the lever to jam against the screw thread and the target will not drop. This has happened to me 3 times on 2 different drop assemblies.

IMG_7435 (resized).jpgIMG_7435 (resized).jpg

It is an easy fix, but why now a problem on a 40 year old drop target assembly?

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have my own surprise I'm working on =)

I will still blow your doors off . It is going to be way cool.

#63 2 years ago

Another problem with the pinball machines I have bought is with the sling shot plastics. There is that 3rd screw the back side of the plastic rests on and that screw cuts through the ink leaving an annoying little spot.

IMG_7443 (resized).jpgIMG_7443 (resized).jpg

On my other sling plastics I hav been cutting piece of clear plastic to sit under the sling plastic. The sling plastic is so large on Star Gazer that I was afraid that over the long term the plastic might start rubbing the ink off of the plastic just from friction.

I know the ink if fragile. For Star Gazer, for right now, when I was peeling the protective paper from the plastic I left a small corner of protective peel on the corner of the plastic. And then with a circle punch, I placed a small pice on mylar on the paper as a protective measure. So far so good, but I would like to try and find a longer term solution.

IMG_7442 (resized).jpgIMG_7442 (resized).jpg

IMG_7447 (resized).jpgIMG_7447 (resized).jpg

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Can't wait to see it!
I'll just state my idea has already been featured on a Data East title.

I'll have to go look. After I figure out which DE pin you are talking about. You were burning up the highway for awhile Can you count all your DE pins on one hand ?

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

accurate wiring is time consuming.

Wiring is very labor intensive. Nafta was signed into law on Jan.1, 1994. All of the wiring in my '93 Lincoln Mark VIII is identified as made in Mexico, the land of cheap labor.

As an aside, Gottlieb used to have its wire harnesses made on the Indian Reservations. More cheap labor.

1 week later
#67 2 years ago

I finally got something lit up that I wanted to light up, but I need some brighter bulbs. So, off to Comet I go to really light this up and make this back glass pop.

#68 2 years ago

I had a stock of 4smd post lights that I was able to use. The lights are a little brighter.

This is Attract Mode with the back box lights turned off

This is in game mode with the back box lights on.

2 weeks later
#71 2 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I'm not familiar enough with the game to know, but is this how the letters 'Star Gazer' on the back box always cycle through? Or are they normally static?

They are normally static.

I just soldered on extra wire on 8 sockets and made a harness to run up the back box to a piece of clear Lexan and wired in some 4smd post lights.

It was one of those midnight can't sleep ideas. I kept counting 8 letters in Star Gazer and there are 8 lights on the play field that looked like they would work. I got lucky and it worked.

IMG_7588 (resized).jpgIMG_7588 (resized).jpg

Big Game will be a prime candidate to do this to. Only for the 2nd time around, instead of making a wire harness from the play field to the back box, I will replace some connector pins on the LDA but crimp in a 2nd wire that will travel up to the LDA to what ever I decide to use to light them up. So, instead of a 6 foot long wire harness I can reduce that to about two feet of harness.

There are a lot of possibilities for doing this. Eight Ball Deluxe and Bally Playboy could do this since they have attract mode lights that would work.

Quoted from gdonovan:

That did come out pretty cool!

Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-gazer-comes-to-life-two-long-years-?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.