P3121791.JPG
P3121790.JPG
P3121787.JPG
P3111786.JPG
P3111785.JPG
P3111784.JPG
P3111783.JPG
2013-03-09_20.18.36.jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Ok so I'm in the process of modifying my 1977 Star Explorer machine so I can run the flippers independently from each other. At this point I am in the very early stages of getting all the pieces together, visualizing how the heck I'm going to do this.

The photo shows the basic flipper assembly. You can see how one solenoid controls both flippers at the same time making the game a little unsatisfying. What I am planning on doing is removing the bar that attaches both flippers together and attaching a solenoid to the right flipper (on the left because the board is flipped upside down). There is enough room to fit the extra solenoid now its a matter of figuring out if it will work electronically.

Let me know what you guys think. I will be posting all info as I go with pictures. Just want to get some conversation started on the subject.

2013-03-09_20.18.36.jpg2013-03-09_20.18.36.jpg

#2 11 years ago

You'll need to swap out bridge rectifier BR401 (provides power to the coils) on the motherboard from the original wimpy 2 amp @ 200 volt one to a 8 amp @ 400 volt one (Radio Shack # 276-1181). This is because operating two flipper coils will draw more current than a single flipper coil would. I would also suggest changing that chintzy 2.1 amp push-to-reset circuit breaker to a conventional fuseholder along with a 2.5 amp slo-blo fuse.

Radio Shack # 270-739 Fuseholder:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062257

Radio Shack # 270-1024 Fuse, 2.5 amp slo-blo:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102749

EDIT 11-28-2020:

See the next page for updated links to the Radio Shack parts.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks for the info Ken!

I will be picking up the parts today, hopefully finishing the project tonight. Its a interesting project combining some electronic and mechanical challenges. It is however, easier than I thought. That being said, the only reason its "easier" is because I have some expert advice.

Thanks again Ken!

#4 11 years ago

Ok so here is what I did. At this point it works if you dont hold the flipper down............yeah I know but its still something. If you make normal flipper movements and not hold the ball in the flipper then its all good. The fuse blows if I hold the flipper down for about 5 seconds, which it way longer then you would normally. The reason for this issue is probably because I need another resistor hooked up to the flipper assembly. Its coming next week but for now this will have to do.

I will do my best to explain what I did over this last week to my machine.

This is what the machine looks like when the playing field is flipped around.

P3111783.JPGP3111783.JPG

#5 11 years ago

This is what the flipper assembly looks like from factory.

P3111784.JPGP3111784.JPG

#6 11 years ago

As you can see, the both flippers move from one solenoid on the right. This solenoid like the rest of the solenoids on this machine are all run in series. What makes this one different is the resistor (the long white thing with grey in the middle on top of the heat shield) and the end of stroke switch.

KenLayton (pinball expert that has been helping me out greatly)

"The flipper "end-of-stroke" (or E.O.S. ) switch is necessary on just about all pinball machines with flippers. Flipper coils of this vintage have three terminals for the two internal windings: hold, hi-power, and common. In the Sentinel/Wonder Wizard flipper arrangement, Sentinel cut costs by using an ordinary pop bumper coil and make it work as a flipper coil. Normally a pop bumper coil will burn up if energized constantly. On the Sentinel/Wonder Wizard machines, they use a 20 ohm @ 25 watt resistor (which gets very hot) to take the place of a flipper coil "hold" winding which is cut in and cut out of the circuit by the end-of-stroke switch. This limits the current draw (preventing blowing a fuse) and keeps the coil cool. It's a half-assed substitute for a real flipper coil. "

So ideally I should replace this whole system with a new better 3 terminal system, but the parts I had laying around were free and I didn't know better when I started this project.

Now the goal is to make a similar system on the other side to attach to the other flipper.

#7 11 years ago

I assembled some parts I had laying around. A wooden spacer to attach the solenoid to, a 12v solenoid and a EOS switch. I also needed some wires, soldering gun, paste etc.

P3111785.JPGP3111785.JPG

#8 11 years ago

The EOS switch is rigged up to a mounting bracket to be mounted in place later once the assembly is put together.

P3111786.JPGP3111786.JPG

#9 11 years ago

I then screwed the wooden spacer plate to the board. It wasnt tall enough so I added some cardboard spacers (from a Pilsner box, only Pilsner will do) and taped them in place with electrical tape. Yeah I know its a little makeshift but it works!

P3121787.JPGP3121787.JPG

#10 11 years ago

I then screwed the solenoid to the plate after attaching the end to the flipper assembly. I removed the bar that links both flippers earlier.
The bracket that the flipper is attached to and the solenoid I flipped around. This bracket is held on by a 3mm hex key. I had to flip it around so the solenoid would align properly. This solenoid I am using has to be aligned perfectly otherwise it gets locked up. I attached the solenoid to the flipper bracket with a small nut and bolt.

On the right side of the flipper bracket you can see a L bracket I added. This is to limit the flipper movement when the solenoid is inactive. The other side (factory) has a similar system.

It was tricky getting everything lined properly with the flipper being on the other side and out of sight.

P3121790.JPGP3121790.JPG P3121791.JPGP3121791.JPG

#11 11 years ago

I should also note that I soldered a N4007 diode between the 2 leads coming off the solenoid.

I then attached the EOS switch to the board. Lined it up so when the solenoid is activated, the EOS would active at the end of the stroke. You can see how the flipper bracket rotates counter clockwise when activated then returning via the spring. The EOS switch is a closed circuit until its activated at the end of the stroke then it becomes an open circuit.

I soldered the leads to the resistor. Like I said earlier, I will be adding a second resistor to the system once it comes it. Apparently this resistor gets very hot, hence the heat shielding.

P3121793.JPGP3121793.JPG

#12 11 years ago

Now I attached the lead from the right flipper button that went to the old solenoid to the new one. Make sure you attach it to the proper side of the coil, you can tell this by observing where is was on the other solenoid. The other lead coming off the new solenoid connects through the EOS then to the resistor.

So my electrical skills are very limited, you will have to forgive me for being a little vague. What I did was just followed cables through the system, labeled them with tape and visualized electricity running from one thing to the next. Then when a cable would come to a "thingy" I would look this "thingy" up to figure out what it does and try to understand why its there. This is how I found that a transistor in the driver board was shot a while back.

The internet is a great resource.

Also, KenLayton has been a HUGE help!!!!

#13 11 years ago

KenLayton

"The only work on any circuit boards is to swap out that wimpy 2 amp bridge rectifier BR401 on the motherboard to an 8 amp @ 400 volt one like Radio Shack # 276-1181. Because you will be operating two flipper coils sometimes at once, you need that extra "headroom" that the 8 amp rectifier can provide. This will make all your coils a bit snappier (that's good)."

Thats exactly what I did. Here is a picture of where to find it. You will have to take the back score board off. Its the little black "thingy" with 4 leads coming off of it right next to the big grey "thingy".

P3141798.JPGP3141798.JPG

#14 11 years ago

KenLayton

"You'll need to swap out bridge rectifier BR401 (provides power to the coils) on the motherboard from the original wimpy 2 amp @ 200 volt one to a 8 amp @ 400 volt one (Radio Shack # 276-1181). This is because operating two flipper coils will draw more current than a single flipper coil would. I would also suggest changing that chintzy 2.1 amp push-to-reset circuit breaker to a conventional fuseholder along with a 2.5 amp slo-blo fuse"

As stated above.

This was the next step. I got the fuse with a fuse holder that had leads coming off of it for easy rear access. So if I ever blew the fuse I wouldnt have to take the machine apart to get at it.

P3141801.JPGP3141801.JPG

#15 11 years ago

Like I said before, the fuse will blow if I hold the flipper down keeping the power on. It does work and the game is much more enjoyable now!

Here is a picture of the machine.

P3141807.JPGP3141807.JPG

#16 11 years ago

this modification costs more than the whole damn machine is worth.

#17 11 years ago

Ha! Well the total cost has been about $25.00 so far........ Its worth that to me

Quoted from CaptainNeo:this modification costs more than the whole damn machine is worth.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This modification costs more than the whole damn machine is worth.

But you're missing the point. It's fun to improve/modify these machines that get no love.

#19 11 years ago

I know what the point is and it is fun to tinker with games to see what you can get it to do.

#20 11 years ago

I have been following this, it's interesting and a good project for anyone who has one of these. What was the other one, Destruction Derby or something? I understand there are quite a few of both, so in the grand scheme of these machines, probably the best and first "mod" that should be done when owning one.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I have been following this, it's interesting and a good project for anyone who has one of these. What was the other one, Destruction Derby or something? I understand there are quite a few of both, so in the grand scheme of these machines, probably the best and first "mod" that should be done when owning one.

The Sentinel/Wonder Wizard/Phillips home pinball machines list:

Star Explorer
Demolition Derby (do not confuse with Brunswick's Demolition Classic)
C.B. Charlie
Flying Aces
Star Raid (rare)

Be sure to see the repair information about these machines at pinwiki.com

EDIT 11-28-2020:

Here's the link to pinwiki:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sentinel_/_Wonder_Wizard

4 weeks later
#22 11 years ago

It would be nice to use the reproduction Stern generation 2 flipper assemblies from Pinball Life.

Stern_repro_flipper_assembly.jpgStern_repro_flipper_assembly.jpg

9 months later
#23 10 years ago

thanks Jonny and Ken. just picked up a "dead" 'flying aces' two days ago (sound, lights, and scoring were ok), one solenoid coil, one bridge rectifier, a few diodes and a power transistor later, it's up and running great. needs a rubber kit and a lightbulb but anyway.. my first impression about these "they need independant flippers!"
no doubt we've all seen the neanderthalish rookie "always push both buttons together yeah" like some weightlifter with a thick accent on a benchpress maybe? simplistic as these playfields are without in-lanes and one outlane on the left side, I still want to (and do) slap the flipper buttons independantly, doesnt work on these things as gotten.
I might go about it a little differently with a solenoid mounted forward center with linkage, because it might pull the ball around on-off path as an advantage or disadvantage, theres enough room and might be simpler too.

1 week later
#25 10 years ago

A suggestion would be to use the Stern reproduction flipper assemblies. Everything you need is already in one assembly.

1 week later
#26 10 years ago

I'd found a new compact williams-bally unit at a reasonable price should be here in a couple days oughtta suffice. might have to play with high current low ohm resistors or a different coil if the flipper power is much unbalanced.
I'd also kinda goofed getting a left side unit, but mirror reassembling it wont be too difficult.

someone somewhere around here had called these machines dumb or stupid, well YES THEY ARE..
simplistic, unsophisticated, but they sure can slam a ball around with brutal force! it might be for putting in a 3.1 amp breaker, a much larger bridge rectifier, and two main power transistors in parallel in for the playfield? stuff I had just kicking around here in old computer and other power supplies. I'd never played a sentinel machine before so I cant really KNOW whether what I'd done has made this machine more energetic, its just a possible guess about that.
gotta love a machine that has so little to ever go wrong, and is usually pretty easily fixed.

the left ball-out drain can be TOO MEAN, the ball would hit the wood rail, stop cold and drop, every time!
popped in a 2-1/2" bounce spring there at about a 5-6 degree angle (3/8 from wall at upper, 3/4 at lower, about 3/8 above the bottom of the left flipout wire and 1/2" below the top of the left slingshot) lets the ball bounce back outta there maybe 30% of the time, I think it adds to the gameplay's adrenaline to have a -chance- for the ball to bounce out and stay in play (I'd sure include a photo here if I could figure out how to attach one!). it looks like it grew there belongs there with the thin wedge of plywood painted black, notched for 2 radio control servo blocks that are the endposts for the bounce spring. theres still 2" wide at the bottom from the backside of the slingshot, where the ball still drains 2/3 the time anyway. is it a "cheat"?.. after playing about two weeks now, last night a friend got the highest score I've seen here so far ever, was 113,800, lots of skill and luck both! these sentinels will roll over back to zero at 200,000 points, I cant imagine that happening in the 3 ball game but will still ask if its a cheat, while at the same time tell about how much more adrenaline FUN it is with the chance of a bounce-out from the left side ball drain. Jonnyfri, you might like this tidbit, the bouncer mounts with two very small screw holes in the side wood, not the playfield, so if-when it's removed, you wouldnt much notice it was ever there.

#27 10 years ago

flipper mechanism arrived and with a little creative persuasion, aka pounding the thick sheetmetal stop tab 180 degrees to flip the main plate from being a left into a right, it works perfect. wiring it up was a little different than I'd expected, the "yellow" wire bottom of left flipper needed a jumper across to the bottom of the right flipper, then the new right side wires up about same as the existing old left one, with its own seperate holding resistor to the switch.
it had to have its own holding resistor, or left-right switches would defy each other and not include it to the circuit.
gameplay definitely improved a bunch, can now use flippers tips independantly to make drain saves sometimes.

it took a little persuasion to make the old flipper bushing fit the flipper plate too, the 3 mounting holes a slightly smaller pattern than the plate, so the bushing holes got drilled barely larger than what was stock. also had to drill a couple holes for the solenoid stop bracket to hold the shorter length solenoid, and shim that bracket a little taller with a couple small washers to match the height because of making a left bracket into a right one, the threaded inserts for the plunger stop being inside instead of outside. even with the extra work making a lefty a righty, maybe an hour or so to get it together and running. the old left flipper without the mechanically linked right one hits a little better now, and the new right one maybe hits a little harder for now until I pop in a better matched coil. easy project.

2 weeks later
#28 10 years ago

-very minor bug.. if the left flipper is held down, the right one wont fire, is really something you just get used to.
once you know to not hold the left down or try to slap the buttons simultaneously it really isnt a problem at all.
for the end of stroke switch I copied what is on the left side with two 10w 40-ohm in parallel for 20-ohms seems to be doing the job keeping the single wound coil from heating up when holding, it really seems the simplest solution.

I sold the Flying Aces, a buddy HAD to have it.. which is OK, I can play it any ol time at his place and I'm picking up a Demolition Derby machine today, I like the paintjob-theme of it more, even though its exactly the same machine. sooo here I go again with the independant flipper mod and I already have the parts to MAKE it happen, converting a slingshot or kicker mechanism into being one for a flipper with a little creative metalworking, easy enough! I'll be putting in the spring bouncer to the left rail ball drain, and covering the "dive bomb alley" wire with small vaccuum hose is better looking, doesnt CLANK when the ball hits it either.

we'd found something else cool helpful to gameplay, 3 coats of wax to the playfield then a coat of armor-all's "tire gel" makes the playfield REALLY slick and slippery (all excess has to be wiped-polished clean of course). same thing did wonders for ball speed in my zizzle PotC (toy!) machine. the stuff hasnt interfered with the ball as part of the electrical contact circuit, but it sure gets around lots faster smoother quieter. sometimes, its just a blur hehe.

the "dumb machine".. my buddy thought so too the first game he played on it, but by 4th game he was hooked.
there is zero strategy unless "keep fast ball in play make points" counts as anything strategic (lmao). simplistic sure doesnt mean they wont get ya with straight up adrenaline, and for that I think Sentinel-WonderWizard's are great!
later today I'll begin to know whether bone stock gameplay is slower and less exciting. the Flying Aces had the main bridge rectifier, a coil, a power transistor and a couple diodes, all dead when I got it. I'd replaced the coil, put in larger rectifier and transistors.. I suspect that may have juiced it up some, but dont know (yet!).

#29 10 years ago

Let's see some more pictures when you get started on this one.

1 week later
#30 10 years ago

oops.. sorry Ken, a) I had the flipper mechanism in and running near instantly this time.. it was either a ball kicker or slingshot mechanism before I tweeked it into being a right flipper mechanism, was really easy to do.
b) I havent figured out how to post pics here, help!!?
I tell the site insert-upload page where it is on my hdd and it wont grab and post, does it need to be hosted elsewhere?
- I really wanted to show a pic of the steep angled 2-1/2" long left drain bounce spring, would have been simpler for others to just see, how it'll keep a ball in play maybe 30% of the time instead of an always guaranteed stop-n-drop.

I'd also put in LED's from a niftyled-dot-com site, pretty reasonable prices, quick shipping, and I wont have the hassle of opening it up to change failed bulbs on a semi regular basis anymore. they're actually a little brighter but somehow seem a little dimmer, and theres a little bit of strobing (ghosting?) when the ball moves really fast.
the static ON bulbs dont flicker in sympathy with the 4 flashing LED's like the old incandescents used to do, which was kinda cool but.. changing failed bulbs often was more a bummer.

buddy just picked up a demolition derby and star explorer. cleaning the pop-caps the red paint washed right off!
pretty sure they just too old and baked, the paint anyway.. wasnt much more than a touch.. poof! we decided heck with it and washed em completely white, star explorer is going to get 4 fast blinking color changing LED's in em oughtta look pretty cool there anyway. looking for couple right flipper mechs or whatever parts to make em work for cheep real soon.. like the hardware that came attached with some used coils just got from ebay sure was nice-easy.

#31 10 years ago

Click "Manually select file(s) to upload". Find the file you want on your computer and click "Open" button.

Now click send post.

Stern repro flipper assembly.jpgStern repro flipper assembly.jpg
2 weeks later
#32 10 years ago

after looking around, the unit I'd used was a for a slingshot. two of the e-bay used coils I'd picked up had mechanisms or brackets attached, sure was handy. the used 900 coil was definitely too hot (powerful) as a flipper, solved with a 10w 3-ohm resistor in series is now about equal to the hit of the stock coil running the left flipper and hasnt popped the circuit breaker since its been put in. hadnt bothered with a holding resistor, no real need for one when you get used to just tapping the flipper buttons when needed, to avoid the left flipper cancelling out action of the new right flipper, if left is held down the right flipper wont respond is something you just get used to on it.

the Star Explorer with the now white pop-caps look great with the 4 RGB fast blinking LED's in em, not quite as bright as I'd liked to see but at 1.60 each no real complaints either.

3 months later
#33 9 years ago

Yo, I'm a total noob to this kind of thing, but star explorer is my one and only pin right now and i'd love to add independent flipper control to it. However, like i said, i'm ridiculously new to pinball maintenance and repair. Any chance one of you guys might like to set up a tutorial for this mod?

Edit: After rereading this thread ive realized it's lready basically a tutorial and i need to stop skimming things. Also, KenLayton is a king among men.

3 months later
#34 9 years ago

Finally ordered up a flipper assembly (pictures above) for the Star Explorer machine after all this time! Looking forward to getting everything up and running. Very cool to see others interested in this project. Its been so long since I've turned this thing inside out I hope I still know what they heck to do.
We will see how this all goes, Ill take some pics and show you how I wired it all up.
Kershawesome, once everything is fresh in my mind and working properly Ill get back to you.

1 week later
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

flipper mechanism arrived and with a little creative persuasion, aka pounding the thick sheetmetal stop tab 180 degrees to flip the main plate from being a left into a right, it works perfect. wiring it up was a little different than I'd expected, the "yellow" wire bottom of left flipper needed a jumper across to the bottom of the right flipper, then the new right side wires up about same as the existing old left one, with its own seperate holding resistor to the switch.
it had to have its own holding resistor, or left-right switches would defy each other and not include it to the circuit.
gameplay definitely improved a bunch, can now use flippers tips independantly to make drain saves sometimes.
it took a little persuasion to make the old flipper bushing fit the flipper plate too, the 3 mounting holes a slightly smaller pattern than the plate, so the bushing holes got drilled barely larger than what was stock. also had to drill a couple holes for the solenoid stop bracket to hold the shorter length solenoid, and shim that bracket a little taller with a couple small washers to match the height because of making a left bracket into a right one, the threaded inserts for the plunger stop being inside instead of outside. even with the extra work making a lefty a righty, maybe an hour or so to get it together and running. the old left flipper without the mechanically linked right one hits a little better now, and the new right one maybe hits a little harder for now until I pop in a better matched coil. easy project.

Well I'm happy I'm not the only one who makes the left to right mistake when ordering parts...........
Did the exact same thing, ordered myself a left flipper when it should have been a right flipper assembly. I haven't received it yet but I spent some time looking at my machine last night thinking of how I could make it work.
zizzlemeplease you wouldn't happen to have an pictures of your reversed flipper assembly would you? Im trying to visualize what you did. I'm very happy you were able to make it work, I'll sleep better tonight. If you could attach pictures or explain in a little more detail what you did that would help me out greatly!

#36 9 years ago

Would you be able to explain in a little more detail how you connected the one flipper solenoid to the other one? I seem to be having a little difficulty figuring this out.

3 months later
#37 9 years ago

Hi Everyone, I just acquired The Sentinel/Wonder Wizard/Phillips Demolition Derby pinball machine. I want to make the flippers independent and contacted a local guy who repairs pinball machines. He said I need to find another solenoid that is the same as the one in the unit if I want to make this conversion inexpensively. Otherwise I would have to buy a pair of matching solenoids to make this happen. Can anyone give me any information on where I might find a matching solenoid and mounting plate or an inexpensive pair of solenoid's for my machine? I am hoping maybe someone may have spare parts from an old non-working machine I could buy.

Thanks for any help in advance.

#38 9 years ago

The original flipper assembly is a classic Stern generation 1 (not reproduced). A classic Stern generation 2 (reproduced and available from Pinball Life) would work, but use a Brunswick # 55-101725 flipper coil instead (available at Marco Specialties) or a Williams SFL-20-300/30-800DC coil.

EDIT:

11-28-2020 updated acceptable coils to use.

#39 9 years ago

Hi Ken,
I tried looking up the Stern Generation 2 at pinball life and came up with nothing. If I can find this does this mean I would need to buy a pair to replace the other solenoid? Also I would have to buy a pair of Gottlieb A-5141 flipper coils?

#40 9 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2411

You probably only need to buy just one flipper assembly.

The reason for having conventional flipper coils is so you can eliminate that silly pain-in-the-ass huge resistor. The Sentinel/Wonder Wizard flipper design uses a regular two terminal coil much the same as a slingshot or pop bumper coil. Those are only designed for momentary (pulse) duty so the resistor gets cut into the circuit by the end-of-stroke switch action. However, if the flipper button is held long enough, you could still burn up the coil. This is the reason I suggest converting to conventional three terminal flipper coils like the Gottlieb A-5141 which operates on 24 volts. Otherwise, you'd have to buy an additional big resistor and duplicate the wiring of the existing flipper setup.

#41 9 years ago

Wouldn't the Gottlieb flipper be a lot more powerful than the other "original" flipper though? If not what other modifications would I need to make? The one's you suggested in earlier posts? "You'll need to swap out bridge rectifier BR401 (provides power to the coils) on the motherboard from the original wimpy 2 amp @ 200 volt one to a 8 amp @ 400 volt one (Radio Shack # 276-1181). This is because operating two flipper coils will draw more current than a single flipper coil would. I would also suggest changing that chintzy 2.1 amp push-to-reset circuit breaker to a conventional fuseholder along with a 2.5 amp slo-blo fuse."

#42 9 years ago

The Gottlieb coil should be a bit more powerful than the original set up. Best choices would be Brunswick flipper coil # 55-101725 (available from Marco Specialties) or Williams # SFL-20-300/30-800DC.

Yes, the other "upgrades" like the bridge rectifier and fuseholder should be performed anyway. They improve reliability.

EDIT 11-28-2020 added other flipper coil numbers to use.

#43 9 years ago

the last couple of these I'd done was with used slingshot mechanisms, creative butchery with a hacksaw to fit. it was just a matter of aligning the coil+plunger at height, angle, throw distance, before locking it in place with screws. I know its a "run what ya brung" -hack-, a 10w 3 ohm resistor got the now flipper mech coil at about balanced the strength to the existing stock one. got 2 used (with coils) slingshot mech and a hole kickout for 10 bucks through fleabay, made them work.

yes real flipper mechs with 3 tap coils and EOS switches is the much nicer arrangement, but the mod can also be done "down-n-dirty" to work out allright. heavier bridge rectifier from an old PC power supply, power transistors too in a pinch (ohm meter test for similar behaviors).

spring-savers..

SUNP0019.JPGSUNP0019.JPG

SUNP0038-ballsave-.JPGSUNP0038-ballsave-.JPG

they bounce the ball back out of the drain roughly 30% of the time, definite adrenaline booster helping the games be a little more fun, not the 100% stop and drop like stock does. these were done with large triangle slivers of wood and RC servo blocks, they can also be done with posts and a band.

#44 9 years ago

again note: with right mech parallel tapped in from left side across, right may not fire if left is being held or buttons hit simultaneously.. you get used to that very quickly, is not really much a problem when you tap left-right or right-left independently, was the point to begin with anyway..

even more recent.. I'd unscrewed the chain hanger for its (cheezy lol) tilt mech and shortened the chain one ball (no cutting needed) to bring the bell more up into the ring. ring got slightly adjusted to center it up, making the stock tilt mech a bit more sensitive. idk, seems fair to me after independent flippers and drain bouncer, try to shake too hard to bounce back out of the left drain = tilt penalty.

sure they're simple machines, I think simple little mods (now 3) helps them be a little more fun.

#45 9 years ago

I am parting out a FLYING ACES, exactly like the STAR EXPLOERER, just different playfield artwork. If anybody needs parts, or would like backup parts, shoot me a PM. I'm guessing some of the parts are a bit weird/unique so I thought somebody would enjoy grabbing these. I would like to do it as a package deal, so whoever is interested would be getting all of the parts from under the playfield and in the head. FYI, board has small crack, and I don't know if it works, so it should be considered as parts only too. Hopefully this parts lot is exactly what somebody is looking for!
--Ed

#46 9 years ago

Ken,
If I bought a flipper assembly for my left flipper off of an identical machine could I use it or would it not work because it's a right flipper assembly?

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by SXViper03: change

2 years later
#47 6 years ago

Howdy Pinsiders... I just acquired a Star Explorer machine cir. 1977 for a very cheap price in good working order. It had been in storage for over 3 years but works perfectly just dirty and needs cleaning. Only problem I can see is that the volume poten. jumps from low to high volume when you turn it and is scratchy. I know the pinball purists think this machine is garbage but it was all I could afford and have space for at the moment. I ordered a new rubber kit for this guy with a new pinball included. Now I want to do the independent flipper mod you have listed above and was wondering if anyone has come up with a simpler mod.. possibly a mechanical mod.. for the left flipper. also if I do the electrical mod above can parts still be ordered from Radio Shack, since all the stores are closed now. I know this is an old thread but it is new to me... Glad to join the team here.... and hope to get some positive feedback on this guy. I also love to tinker.... Thanks all !!!

1 month later
#48 6 years ago

Updating this old thread.

Since most Radio Shack stores have closed, I don't know if the above parts can still be gotten from radioshack.com anymore.

If not, the fuses, fuseholder, and bridge rectifier can be purchased from jameco.com

The flipper assembly is still available at Pinball Life.

1 month later
#49 6 years ago

Howdy..
It kinda funny but the stern pinball assembly http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2411 costs as much as I paid for my whole star explorer.

1 month later
#50 6 years ago

Howdy yall.. Just got around to working on my Star Explorer this week. Old Man winter still has his grip on me..... The volume pot on the back is very scratchy when turned.. and jumps from low to high volume. Thinking about using some type of turner cleaner maybe alcohol. The Transformer also has a loud hum like a ground problem. I replaced all the bulbs. added a rubber kit and glued down the foil contacts. Still thinking about the flipper mod.. Can anyone tell me the voltage of the Stern pinball assembly? Can it pull straight off 110v ? Gotta keep it simple from me to do it... seems like if it could come off the main input power then you would not need to worry about voltage drop in other parts of the table.. Ideas Thanks

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-explorer-1977-modification-for-independent-flipper-action and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.