• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

staple2.jpg
staple1.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So I wanted to change some bulb on the playfield on my Bally 86 and then realised that there's a cable welded to almost every light and then stapled on the wood... it's almost impossible to get the staples out, I tried with screwdriver and vicegrip but it's too hard and I was damagind the wood... so my question is what's the use of this since the lights seems already plugged anyway, can I just cut it or would I need to weld it back ?

staple1.jpgstaple1.jpg staple2.jpgstaple2.jpg

edit: thanks for the quick answer guys! yeah that's a good ide to just bend it to replace bulb, but actually I was also planning to do some touchup acrylic paint and clearcoat the playfield so I'd need to remove everything to make this right... unless I tape every hole before clearcoat but even then if I need to repair some inserts it will be difficult with everything still screwed/plugged in under the playfield

#2 11 years ago

If you have a large enough soldering iron I would remove the solder and replace when putting things back together.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

this could be a pain in the ass! lol

#4 11 years ago

can't you just bend the metal tab to get to the bulb?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

can't you just bend the metal tab to get to the bulb?

mystic is right. You can easily bend these back - change bulb - bend back into position.

LTG

#6 11 years ago

On all those older games that have the ground wire soldered directly to the metal tab I've always bent them back. Usually the ones I've done were 44s though but I dont see why this would be any different. Don't make it too much work, it's just a bulb.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

On all those older games that have the ground wire soldered directly to the metal tab I've always bent them back. Usually the ones I've done were 44s though but I dont see why this would be any different. Don't make it too much work, it's just a bulb.

same here

#8 11 years ago

yeah that's a good ide to just bend it to replace bulb, but actually I was also planning to do some touchup acrylic paint and clearcoat the playfield so I'd need to remove everything to make this right... unless I tape every hole before clearcoat but even then if I need to repair some inserts it will be difficult with everything still screwed/plugged in under the playfield

#9 11 years ago

maybe I could just remove every bulb and then bend them a little so I can tape the underside of every hole to clearcoat?

edit: I mean remove every bulb for those without inserts

#10 11 years ago

The bulbs are under the inserts right? Why would there be holes?

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

not every lights have inserts

#12 11 years ago

so the real question is, is that cable necessary?

#13 11 years ago

You mean the ground cable? Only if you want the lights to turn on and off.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from charlu:

so the real question is, is that cable necessary?

yes that cable is your ground for the lights

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from charlu:

So the real question is, is that cable necessary?

YES! That is the common to every light in the machine. Cutting it and you'll kill the circuit to a lot of bulbs.

If you need to lift the staples, you use a "tack puller" which is commonly used in upholstery work. Here is one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-TL4C-Tack-Puller/dp/B00004Z2MI/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

The "fork" on it is beveled. Tapping the head of the tool with a hammer forces the beveled head of the tack puller under the staple without screwing up the wood.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

General Illumination...... : P

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stapled-bulb-cable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.