image-651.jpg
image-585.jpg
image-603.jpg
image-182.jpg
image-725.jpg
image-859.jpg
image-253.jpg
image-832.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tmezel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

85vette (Brad) send me a really cool idea. At least on my new Sterns, the stand up targets tend to move side to side and become misaligned. I took his idea and made what I call a 'splint'. After a very quick disassembly of the target, the 3 parts slide very tightly into the splint. The splint minimizes the movement of the target. It takes less than 10 minutes per target to install.

The problem to be solved here is that the holes in the switch is a plastic tube so not to short out the switch. The tube is bigger than the screw so it moves within the tube. The splint uses the playfield bracket to not allow the switch to move side to side. It is a box design so not to allow flexing.

He is doing testing and I have them installed on Metallica and ACDC. If it works I will compile a list of all the games this goes on.

http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

Nice! Hopefully this will work on the Palantir target on LOTR.

I will post pictures of the drop target mechanism today so we can figure out what games we can use this.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

U in ZUSE in Tron, the Cyclops entrance in XMen, and POTC has a few troublesome ones as well.
I will comment more after I see 85vett's, hoping this can be installed without unsoldering the switch.

No unsoldering required for the small targets. I will have a look at TRON.

#13 9 years ago

Here are the pics of the drop target it fits. These are from ACDC, the extra bracket on the top is for the lightning bolts, pay no attention to that.

image-27.jpgimage-27.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

my mini play field targets on ac/dc could use this.

Mine too, will take it apart today and see what I can do.

#19 9 years ago

For the bigger targets, I will make a two piece splint. It will have to be glued so you don't have to do any soldering. That solder job on those is a mess.

#31 9 years ago

Here's another picture of the backplate that this works with.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-35.jpgimage-35.jpg

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

note that on this game there is zero space between the switch and the ball lock bracket assembly, but it worked. To the extent that excess plastic could be removed without sacrificing strength it'd be valuable.

Yep, I could knock a couple of millimeters off of it.

#39 9 years ago

I am sending more units out for testing, gotta be sure these work.

#40 9 years ago

I got them going on X-men and LOTR, any other small targets that are prone to move?

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

What would be really cool is if you sold those target backplates too so one wouldn't have to make a separate order from another parts store too.

If you post a link I will pass these along at my cost.

#60 9 years ago

I should make a splint for the larger bracket so there is no unneeded extra cost.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

That would be good too. But the older/wider back plate doesn't have the anti-loft curl at the top.

I will probably need someone to send me one of those.

#64 9 years ago

Need to make a smaller footprint for XM.

image-481.jpgimage-481.jpg

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

It fit mine in the pic above, but zero tolerance between. A smaller foot print would be nice, but hurry up .... I was just playing IM tonight and wished the target blocking the center spinner hadn't been leaning over.

These are installed wrong, thats why they don't fit. The bracket fits inside the cube.

#71 9 years ago

Smaller footprint, trying to get the two piece done before bed.

image-566.jpgimage-566.jpg

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from iDD:

looks like your on a winner - just wondering if the splints are available for the x-men and tron as of yet - plus will you post to australia ?

Still getting them tested. We ship worldwide.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Yes, It screams for this. They get pinned over often on mine and its a PITA

Here is the two piece design to fit on the larger targets. It will just take a couple of drops of super glue to close the box for strength. I will test it today.

image-412.jpgimage-412.jpg

#78 9 years ago

Testing it for the ACDC lower playfield. A little super glue and two clamps. I got the really cheap clamps at Harbor Frieight.

image-832.jpgimage-832.jpg
#79 9 years ago

The two piece splint seems to work well for the larger targets.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Could you make a snap lock like a quick splice wire connector for Bally/WMS stuff? Just a thought.

Send me a pic, I think I know what you are talking about.

#83 9 years ago

These are for sale for most new Sterns with the straight backplate, 1/2 inch and larger targets.

http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Sweet, as soon as you get the winkies back in stock I will make an order.

One piece small splint for these, they are 1/2 inch targets.
image-253.jpgimage-253.jpg
Two piece splint for the larger than 1/2 inch targets.
image-859.jpgimage-859.jpg

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Xmen is what I was thinking of as well. The left target does the shift thing making Xavior shot even tighter

I think it is the one piece that fits. If anyone finds one that doesn't fit I need to know so I can make further adjustments. For example, the right target for the Metallica grave markers just fits.

image-182.jpgimage-182.jpg

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The left lock target on X-men should work fine with the one piece target as this is the exact target we put on BTW's machine. Should fit both lock targets without a problem. It's a tight fit but it did fit so you should be good.

Here's a pic of the Xavier targets.

image-603.jpgimage-603.jpg

1 week later
#110 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Ironically enough, the "U" target on Tron is where this all started. Nothing more frustrating than trying to shoot an already hard shot and having it partially blocked by a target.

Don installed and I supervised the fix on our buddy's U target last night. It's amazing how these thing can lean.

#111 9 years ago

Anybody want to guess what these are? I just made a bunch with some colors I had laying around. I will start throwing these in with some of our new orders to see if they work.

image-585.jpgimage-585.jpg

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nut covers?
call them 'tiny sacs'

Nope, but funny.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Spotlight anti-rotation?

Yep, I know some folks may use loc-tite, but I thought I could whip something up. It works by self threading just like the locknuts and has increased surface area for more grab area. A simple hand twist test shows a significant difference to me.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

And maybe a new mod for you???
I can see some wanting push on nut covers to make hardware even get bling

Nobody likes exposed nuts, see the innovation thread from Kristin. (insert jokes here)

1 week later
#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Just ordered some clear ones for Metallica.
I also ordered some of those 5cm led strips, it says wiring not included, what do I need to get to get these to work? Thanks

I'm still putting about 3-4 inches of wire on all of them so you can just solder extra length wire on them to attach to whatever you want that is 12v.

1 week later
#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I'll need to get some for my Metallica. Just put them on the bottom and screw the post down? Are these needed for the other spot lights on the game or just the slingshot? I noticed you don't have anything securing the spotlight wires. Are you creating anything for this? I used some things I got from shapeways, but sure there can be better options.

I usually just cut the tie wrap off, let see if I can come up with something cool.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Will these work on a Bally/Williams? I'd love to splint the narrow target on my Earthshaker that blocks the scoop.

I have not taken a look at these yet. I will eventually. It seems the Stern machines are the most problematic.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

That little tip helped.did not realize everything was so tight. Does this look correct? Thanks for yor help..

Your L metal bracket does not look to have caught the screws, it should be flush up to the leaf switch.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Ok thanks. Got it. Second splint was done a lot faster know that I've done one. The flat tip really moves things along.

Typically after the first one, the rest go much quicker.

1 month later
#150 9 years ago

I bought that bracket and will get a splint designed for it. Just gotta carve some time out for it.

10 months later
#163 8 years ago

The bracket needs to look like this to work.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tmezel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/standup-target-splints-by-mezelmods?tu=tmezel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.