Topic Stats

• 175 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by shaub
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 31 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160706_064621_(resized).jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
20140916_143937.jpg
20140916_140354.jpg
20140916_140507.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-651.jpg
image-585.jpg
image-603.jpg
image-182.jpg
image-725.jpg
image-859.jpg
image-253.jpg
image-832.jpg

There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 5 years ago

Curious if either of you two asked for the files for any of his other 3d printed mods.

#102 5 years ago

It can't hurt to ask. Worst he can say is no.

#103 5 years ago

Does anyone know how many of each target splint I will need for my Metallica pro that is being delivered soon? I would like to order some before the pin shows up. Thanks!

#104 5 years ago

Installed these on Xmen and it's a world of difference the magneto targets on mine were always drifting to block cyclops and Xavier shots. The big ones work well on IM whiplash targets also! I joined mine using jb weld and zip ties until the weld dried. Good job mezel mods

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Prosedsp:

Does anyone know how many of each target splint I will need for my Metallica pro that is being delivered soon? I would like to order some before the pin shows up. Thanks!

4 is ideal. There are two pic targets on the left side (buy the drop targets) and 2 by the right ramp. I wouldn't see much of a need on the fuel targets.

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

4 is ideal. There are two pic targets on the left side (buy the drop targets) and 2 by the right ramp. I wouldn't see much of a need on the fuel targets.

Would that be 4 of the one-piece small splints, or 4 of the two-piece splints? Thanks!

#107 5 years ago

4 of the one piece. Those are all the skinny targets.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

4 of the one piece. Those are all the skinny targets.

My Sparky standup target likes to move around two. So maybe 5? Anyone know if that'd be a one-piece or two-piece? I'm at work and can't go look under the playfield.

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Ironically enough, the "U" target on Tron is where this all started. Nothing more frustrating than trying to shoot an already hard shot and having it partially blocked by a target.

Don installed and I supervised the fix on our buddy's U target last night. It's amazing how these thing can lean.

#111 5 years ago

Anybody want to guess what these are? I just made a bunch with some colors I had laying around. I will start throwing these in with some of our new orders to see if they work.

image-585.jpg

#112 5 years ago

nut covers?

call them 'tiny sacs'

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nut covers?
call them 'tiny sacs'

Nope, but funny.

#114 5 years ago

Spotlight anti-rotation?

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

nut covers?
call them 'tiny sacs'

Think "longer"

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Nope, but funny.

And maybe a new mod for you???

I can see some wanting push on nut covers to make hardware even get bling

#117 5 years ago

Caps for the leg bolts?

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Spotlight anti-rotation?

Yep, I know some folks may use loc-tite, but I thought I could whip something up. It works by self threading just like the locknuts and has increased surface area for more grab area. A simple hand twist test shows a significant difference to me.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

And maybe a new mod for you???
I can see some wanting push on nut covers to make hardware even get bling

Nobody likes exposed nuts, see the innovation thread from Kristin. (insert jokes here)

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Yep, I know some folks may use loc-tite, but I thought I could whip something up. It works by self threading just like the locknuts and has increased surface area for more grab area. A simple hand twist test shows a significant difference to me.

Sweet!

#121 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Woo-hoo! And I have a custom piece in your shop now... hope I get a spotlight rotationator in my box!!!

#123 5 years ago

Thats brilliant. I'm always hesitant to get too aggressive cranking down the hex posts on the slings... thus my spots tend to drift. This should resolve it. Nice work.

#124 5 years ago

Just ordered a pair for my X-Men

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Hex holder...

image-651.jpg 222 KB

Sign me up!

#126 5 years ago

TMezel:
I installed the ones you sent me tonight (three singles). The target on LOTR is a large target, but I simply took the stack apart, took out the target part (not soldered), put the stack into your splint and put the large piece back in through the other end.

One note that I mentioned to you before is that some targets on DE and Stern machines have the following back bracket and will not fit in the single as it is today (probably the same case with the double). I will post pics of where I had to file out the back part a bit to get the holes in the bracket to align with the splint.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1672

#127 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Hex holder...

image-651.jpg 222 KB

I'll need to get some for my metallica. Just put them on the bottom and screw the post down? Are these needed for the other spot lights on the game or just the slingshot? I noticed you don't have anything securing the spotlight wires. Are you creating anything for this? I used some things I got from shapeways, but sure there can be better options.

#128 5 years ago

Just ordered some clear ones for metallica.
I also ordered some of those 5cm led strips, it says wiring not included, what do I need to get to get these to work? Thanks

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Hex holder...

image-651.jpg 222 KB

I always figured they come loose because of the top screw. I have never had the issue, though I know many people do.

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I always figured they come loose because of the top screw. I have never had the issue, though I know many people do.

top screw holds the spotlight, the hex post screws down on the stud. Vibrations make the spotlights move from the slings.

#131 5 years ago

Bookmarked for reference.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Just ordered some clear ones for Metallica.
I also ordered some of those 5cm led strips, it says wiring not included, what do I need to get to get these to work? Thanks

I'm still putting about 3-4 inches of wire on all of them so you can just solder extra length wire on them to attach to whatever you want that is 12v.

#133 5 years ago

Put my splints on X-Men yesterday. Easy to install and work great!

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I'll need to get some for my Metallica. Just put them on the bottom and screw the post down? Are these needed for the other spot lights on the game or just the slingshot? I noticed you don't have anything securing the spotlight wires. Are you creating anything for this? I used some things I got from shapeways, but sure there can be better options.

I usually just cut the tie wrap off, let see if I can come up with something cool.

#135 5 years ago

Will these work on a Bally/Williams? I'd love to splint the narrow target on my Earthshaker that blocks the scoop.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Will these work on a Bally/Williams? I'd love to splint the narrow target on my Earthshaker that blocks the scoop.

I have not taken a look at these yet. I will eventually. It seems the Stern machines are the most problematic.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I usually just cut the tie wrap off, let see if I can come up with something cool.

A Pinsider from Australia came up with these wire tie nuts that same shape as the posts. Very neat and clean. I would actually like to get some more. I have to try and find his contact info.
image.jpg

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:I'll need to get some for my Metallica. Just put them on the bottom and screw the post down? Are these needed for the other spot lights on the game or just the slingshot? I noticed you don't have anything securing the spotlight wires. Are you creating anything for this? I used some things I got from shapeways, but sure there can be better options.

#138 5 years ago

Pinsider was Swinks. He is am modder like Tim.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Just wanted to post some install tips on these now that people should be starting to get them delivered.
These splints are super tight. They are designed that way to keep those targets as straight as possible. Because of this some can be a little bit tough to get pushed in but they will go. What I like to do is:
- remove target from playfield
- remove the front and rear bracket of the target
- straighten the stack
- remove the tape on the side of the stack (this will help get them to slide in better)
- push just the stack into the splint (you have to get it started at an angle to get the target itself into the stack). Try to push it in as straight as possible until the bottom of the stack is flush with the bottom of the splint
- push the L bracket back in (the one that mounts to the PF).
- Start the screws back in the stack and splint. This will help get the L bracket and the stack to line up. I screw the screw in all the way until it start to come out past the switch stack.
- Put the backing plate into the splint and screw it in.
- Tighten down the screws for the stack. No need to go super tight like you do without the splint since the splint does all the heavy duty keeping things straight.
- re-install the stack into the PF
It's a real quick process once you've done your first one. My first one probably took 10 mins as I was trying to get my bearings. Now I can get them done in about 2-3 mins. Just installed a couple on a friends machine again this weekend and he walked off to download new code from Sterns website. He came back and I had finished both targets and had the game back ready to play.

Backing plate will not fit in splint with stack and L bracket installed. What am I doing wrong?

#141 5 years ago

take a flat head screw driver and make sure the stack is pushed all the way towards the L-bracket. It's a super tight fit and if it's not right up against the L bracket it wont slide in.

#142 5 years ago

Ok I'll try. It also makes it difficult that backing plate is not flat edge.

#143 5 years ago

That little tip helped.did not realize everything was so tight. Does this look correct? Thanks for yor help.

image.jpg
#144 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

That little tip helped.did not realize everything was so tight. Does this look correct? Thanks for yor help.

image.jpg 173 KB

Looks good to me! All pieces should go through the splint.

#145 5 years ago

Looks perfect.

#146 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

That little tip helped.did not realize everything was so tight. Does this look correct? Thanks for yor help..

Your L metal bracket does not look to have caught the screws, it should be flush up to the leaf switch.

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Your L metal bracket does not look to have caught the screws, it should be flush up to the leaf switch.

Ok thanks. Got it. Second splint was done a lot faster know that I've done one. The flat tip really moves things along.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Ok thanks. Got it. Second splint was done a lot faster know that I've done one. The flat tip really moves things along.

Typically after the first one, the rest go much quicker.

1 month later
#149 5 years ago

Here are some images of the one I modded for LOTR and the other two on my X-MEN.

20140916_140507.jpg
20140916_140354.jpg
20140916_143937.jpg

#150 5 years ago

I bought that bracket and will get a splint designed for it. Just gotta carve some time out for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, OH
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside