image-651.jpg
image-585.jpg
image-603.jpg
image-182.jpg
image-725.jpg
image-859.jpg
image-253.jpg
image-832.jpg
There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 9 years ago

Ironically enough, the "U" target on Tron is where this all started. Nothing more frustrating than trying to shoot an already hard shot and having it partially blocked by a target.

#52 9 years ago

There was something available similar many years ago. Although I am not sure what happened to those..

Rob

#53 9 years ago

Great idea and a great looking product as always Tim .

Look forward to seeing which , if not all of my pins they will fit .

Cheers mate .

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Fantastic work dude. This is gonna be one of those "game changers" like the metal leg spacers that started coming on the newer Stern decal'd games....
» YouTube video

Great one...brought a tear to my eyes from the gut busting laughing attacks I was having.

#55 9 years ago

Speaking of Tron, the TRON standups are always on the move.

#56 9 years ago

What would be really cool is if you sold those target backplates too so one wouldn't have to make a separate order from another parts store too.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

What would be really cool is if you sold those target backplates too so one wouldn't have to make a separate order from another parts store too.

If you post a link I will pass these along at my cost.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

85vette (Brad) send me a really cool idea. At least on my new Sterns, the stand up targets tend to move side to side and become misaligned. I took his idea and made what I call a 'splint'. After a very quick disassembly of the target, the 3 parts slide very tightly into the splint. The splint minimizes the movement of the target. It takes less than 10 minutes per target to install.
The problem to be solved here is that the holes in the switch is a plastic tube so not to short out the switch. The tube is bigger than the screw so it moves within the tube. The splint uses the playfield bracket to not allow the switch to move side to side. It is a box design so not to allow flexing.
He is doing testing and I have them installed on Metallica and ACDC. If it works I will compile a list of all the games this goes on.

image.jpg 181 KB

saw one in person, install process & played with it on.
maybe tmezel can make a mod to block that xmen right drain next.

#60 9 years ago

I should make a splint for the larger bracket so there is no unneeded extra cost.

#61 9 years ago

That would be good too. But the older/wider back plate doesn't have the anti-loft curl at the top.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

That would be good too. But the older/wider back plate doesn't have the anti-loft curl at the top.

I will probably need someone to send me one of those.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The U on Tron can block the Quorra and Gem shot

Yes! The worst one I can think of. Mine gets so bad it changes how I shoot Quorra, which makes me suck even when the target is straightened up.

#64 9 years ago

Need to make a smaller footprint for XM.

image-481.jpgimage-481.jpg

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Need to make a smaller footprint for XM.

image-481.jpg 81 KB

It fit mine in the pic above, but zero tolerance between. A smaller foot print would be nice, but hurry up .... I was just playing IM tonight and wished the target blocking the center spinner hadn't been leaning over.

#66 9 years ago

Yea, metallica pick, sparky, and piston targets could all use these... It's an annoying problem and appears to be a great solution! Good job!

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

It fit mine in the pic above, but zero tolerance between. A smaller foot print would be nice, but hurry up .... I was just playing IM tonight and wished the target blocking the center spinner hadn't been leaning over.

These are installed wrong, thats why they don't fit. The bracket fits inside the cube.

#68 9 years ago

haha

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

These are installed wrong, thats why they don't fit. The bracket fits inside the cube.

The installation instructions were lost in transit... I'll fix it later and refit. D'oh!

#70 9 years ago

Was going to say they should fit but it is tight. Couple mils smaller would be perfect.

Btw - I've got a couple more test ones since they don't fit the larger targets yet. I'll bring you one for IM to test. Will only cost you some time on your x-men.

#71 9 years ago

Smaller footprint, trying to get the two piece done before bed.

image-566.jpgimage-566.jpg

#72 9 years ago

Will these work on williams games like tz and dm because I have a few on each game that get out of wack and it is annoying ?

#73 9 years ago

looks like your on a winner - just wondering if the splints are available for the x-men and tron as of yet - plus will you post to australia ?

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Will these work on williams games like tz and dm because I have a few on each game that get out of wack and it is annoying ?

I think those have rivets that hold them which is another issue since you have to be able to mount them via the screws.

Quoted from iDD:

looks like your on a winner - just wondering if the splints are available for the x-men and tron as of yet - plus will you post to australia ?

Close. Tim and I are ironing out the price and just play testing them as much as possible as we don't want a product to go out that doesn't work as designed. Real close on pricing as we are trying to keep them as affordable as possible

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from iDD:

Still getting them tested. We ship worldwide.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

my mini play field targets on ac/dc could use this.

Yes, It screams for this. They get pinned over often on mine and its a PITA

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Yes, It screams for this. They get pinned over often on mine and its a PITA

Here is the two piece design to fit on the larger targets. It will just take a couple of drops of super glue to close the box for strength. I will test it today.

image-412.jpgimage-412.jpg

#78 9 years ago

Testing it for the ACDC lower playfield. A little super glue and two clamps. I got the really cheap clamps at Harbor Frieight.

image-832.jpgimage-832.jpg
#79 9 years ago

The two piece splint seems to work well for the larger targets.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Here is the two piece design to fit on the larger targets. It will just take a couple of drops of super glue to close the box for strength. I will test it today.

image-412.jpg 157 KB

Could you make a snap lock like a quick splice wire connector for Bally/WMS stuff? Just a thought.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Could you make a snap lock like a quick splice wire connector for Bally/WMS stuff? Just a thought.

Send me a pic, I think I know what you are talking about.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I will when I get home.

#83 9 years ago

These are for sale for most new Sterns with the straight backplate, 1/2 inch and larger targets.

http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

These are for sale for most new Sterns with the straight backplate, 1/2 inch and larger targets.
http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

perfect - now just to confirm - xmen-pro & tron - only require the 1 piece splint ?

#85 9 years ago

Sweet, as soon as you get the winkies back in stock I will make an order.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from iDD:

perfect - now just to confirm - xmen-pro & tron - only require the 1 piece splint ?

Yes. I have the one piece on my xmen. Almost certain same type target on tron.

#87 9 years ago

Yes, one piece will work on the Tron "Z", "U" and "E" targets. Wont work on the "S" target. It would need the two piece since it's the larger size target.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Sweet, as soon as you get the winkies back in stock I will make an order.

One piece small splint for these, they are 1/2 inch targets.
image-253.jpgimage-253.jpg
Two piece splint for the larger than 1/2 inch targets.
image-859.jpgimage-859.jpg

#89 9 years ago

Nice work, Tim!

#91 9 years ago

order placed - thankyou

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Something similar to this where it would snap together.
So instead of using superglue, make some kind of snap on connector.

I placed an order today for the splints.

image-725.jpgimage-725.jpg

#93 9 years ago

Xmen is what I was thinking of as well. The left target does the shift thing making Xavior shot even tighter

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Xmen is what I was thinking of as well. The left target does the shift thing making Xavior shot even tighter

I think it is the one piece that fits. If anyone finds one that doesn't fit I need to know so I can make further adjustments. For example, the right target for the Metallica grave markers just fits.

image-182.jpgimage-182.jpg

#95 9 years ago

The left lock target on X-men should work fine with the one piece target as this is the exact target we put on BTW's machine. Should fit both lock targets without a problem. It's a tight fit but it did fit so you should be good.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The left lock target on X-men should work fine with the one piece target as this is the exact target we put on BTW's machine. Should fit both lock targets without a problem. It's a tight fit but it did fit so you should be good.

Here's a pic of the Xavier targets.

image-603.jpgimage-603.jpg

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Once I CORRECTLY installed it, it did fit just fine.

#98 9 years ago

Just wanted to post some install tips on these now that people should be starting to get them delivered.

These splints are super tight. They are designed that way to keep those targets as straight as possible. Because of this some can be a little bit tough to get pushed in but they will go. What I like to do is:
- remove target from playfield
- remove the front and rear bracket of the target
- straighten the stack
- remove the tape on the side of the stack (this will help get them to slide in better)
- push just the stack into the splint (you have to get it started at an angle to get the target itself into the stack). Try to push it in as straight as possible until the bottom of the stack is flush with the bottom of the splint
- push the L bracket back in (the one that mounts to the PF).
- Start the screws back in the stack and splint. This will help get the L bracket and the stack to line up. I screw the screw in all the way until it start to come out past the switch stack.
- Put the backing plate into the splint and screw it in.
- Tighten down the screws for the stack. No need to go super tight like you do without the splint since the splint does all the heavy duty keeping things straight.
- re-install the stack into the PF

It's a real quick process once you've done your first one. My first one probably took 10 mins as I was trying to get my bearings. Now I can get them done in about 2-3 mins. Just installed a couple on a friends machine again this weekend and he walked off to download new code from Sterns website. He came back and I had finished both targets and had the game back ready to play.

#99 9 years ago

Are you going to offer up the STL files for these?
--Scott

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Are you going to offer up the STL files for these?
--Scott

+1 - Would even pay for the file and promise not to resell. Just would like the option of not worrying if I break one installing it or having to wait for shipping.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/standup-target-splints-by-mezelmods/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.