image-651.jpg
image-585.jpg
image-603.jpg
image-182.jpg
image-725.jpg
image-859.jpg
image-253.jpg
image-832.jpg
There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

85vette (Brad) send me a really cool idea. At least on my new Sterns, the stand up targets tend to move side to side and become misaligned. I took his idea and made what I call a 'splint'. After a very quick disassembly of the target, the 3 parts slide very tightly into the splint. The splint minimizes the movement of the target. It takes less than 10 minutes per target to install.

The problem to be solved here is that the holes in the switch is a plastic tube so not to short out the switch. The tube is bigger than the screw so it moves within the tube. The splint uses the playfield bracket to not allow the switch to move side to side. It is a box design so not to allow flexing.

He is doing testing and I have them installed on Metallica and ACDC. If it works I will compile a list of all the games this goes on.

http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Nice! Hopefully this will work on the Palantir target on LOTR.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

I will post pictures of the drop target mechanism today so we can figure out what games we can use this.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

+1
This was my first thought....

#5 9 years ago

The left target under whiplash on IM could really use this too.

#6 9 years ago

oh nice!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from TheBaron:

+1

#8 9 years ago

U in ZUSE in Tron, the Cyclops entrance in XMen, and POTC has a few troublesome ones as well.

I will comment more after I see 85vett's, hoping this can be installed without unsoldering the switch.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TheBaron:

Just straighten it out and tighten it down...did this once years ago on my IM and it's still straight as a bullet.

#10 9 years ago

This would be great on the Whiplash targets on IM

#11 9 years ago

Another Brilliant Mod from MezelMods!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

U in ZUSE in Tron, the Cyclops entrance in XMen, and POTC has a few troublesome ones as well.
I will comment more after I see 85vett's, hoping this can be installed without unsoldering the switch.

No unsoldering required for the small targets. I will have a look at TRON.

#13 9 years ago

Here are the pics of the drop target it fits. These are from ACDC, the extra bracket on the top is for the lightning bolts, pay no attention to that.

image-27.jpgimage-27.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Yep, that should fit the palantir target on lotr...

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Just straighten it out and tighten it down...did this once years ago on my IM and it's still straight as a bullet.

Doesn't work on mine. I've straightened and tightened it numerous times and it only takes a few games before it's knocked to the right again.

#16 9 years ago

my mini play field targets on ac/dc could use this.

#17 9 years ago

This is great! Hope it isn't too expensive. Need one for my LOTR.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Mine too, will take it apart today and see what I can do.

#19 9 years ago

For the bigger targets, I will make a two piece splint. It will have to be glued so you don't have to do any soldering. That solder job on those is a mess.

#20 9 years ago

Whiplash targets on IM need something like this, very cool mod

#21 9 years ago

Who's taking my money?

#22 9 years ago

I have to say this is an excellent idea. Many games have this problem.
If you need a tester I would be more than willing to help. I noticed my whitewater green translucent lock targets are starting to do this as well.

#23 9 years ago

I need this badly for tron.

#24 9 years ago

This is so awesome seeing an idea come to light. I took it straight to Tim as I knew he could do it well and in a way to be affordable. Sure hope it works as well as planned. If so, we may be able to say goodbye to crooked targets forever

Big thanks to mezel mods for listening and helping make this come to light.

#25 9 years ago

Clever, youse guys down thar....

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This is so awesome seeing an idea come to light. I took it straight to Tim as I knew he could do it well and in a way to be affordable. Sure hope it works as well as planned. If so, we may be able to say goodbye to crooked targets forever
Big thanks to mezel mods for listening and helping make this come to light.

I'm wide open to test tomorrow if they arrive!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

I need this badly for tron.

Agreed. There's no amount of tightening that will prevent my U target from mucking up the Quorra shot after just a game or two.

#28 9 years ago

Nice, maybe I can finally keep the target next to the snake on Metallica from deflecting the ball to the left outlane! Now I will just need to find a way to keep every other shot in the game from going there. lol

#29 9 years ago

What are we looking at for cost? I need 5, maybe more. My lightning bolt targets don't seem to move for me but the lower playfield sure do.

#31 9 years ago

Here's another picture of the backplate that this works with.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-35.jpgimage-35.jpg

#32 9 years ago

As TMezel said, it does not work with this one:
image.jpgimage.jpg

If you plan to use this with LOTR, you may have to switch the back plate.

#33 9 years ago

85vett was nice enough to bring his first engineering sample over today. After installation, which requires no soldering, just 2-3 minutes of switch assembly, he, labnip, and I proceeded to play the snot out of the game. I don't know how many plays we put on, but it had to be more than 30, and inspection afterwards shows no wear of the splint, and definitely no shifting of the target.

85vett's going to install in a couple other games soon, but as of right now I'm going to order one for each similar stand up target I have.

before.jpgbefore.jpg

after.jpgafter.jpg

#34 9 years ago

note that on this game there is zero space between the switch and the ball lock bracket assembly, but it worked. To the extent that excess plastic could be removed without sacrificing strength it'd be valuable.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

note that on this game there is zero space between the switch and the ball lock bracket assembly, but it worked. To the extent that excess plastic could be removed without sacrificing strength it'd be valuable.

Yep, I could knock a couple of millimeters off of it.

#36 9 years ago

Fantastic work dude. This is gonna be one of those "game changers" like the metal leg spacers that started coming on the newer Stern decal'd games....

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

+1

#38 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing btw. Just so everyone knows, that was a before pic

Very pleased with how well it held the switch. We nailed it a handful of times with that upper right flipper and it stayed put. Real tight fit like it should be.

#39 9 years ago

I am sending more units out for testing, gotta be sure these work.

#40 9 years ago

I got them going on X-men and LOTR, any other small targets that are prone to move?

#41 9 years ago

Iron man Drones, Iron Man Whiplash (if it's the same base), Metallica Pick targets

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

85vett was nice enough to bring his first engineering sample over today. After installation, which requires no soldering, just 2-3 minutes of switch assembly, he, labnip, and I proceeded to play the snot out of the game. I don't know how many plays we put on, but it had to be more than 30, and inspection afterwards shows no wear of the splint, and definitely no shifting of the target.
85vett's going to install in a couple other games soon, but as of right now I'm going to order one for each similar stand up target I have.

after.jpg 97 KB

before.jpg 212 KB

No after pic above the playfield?

#43 9 years ago

Sorry - here is an after pic of the playfield. The left target (by Xavier) is the one that's fixed. This is taken after banging on it during those games. This target is very susceptible given that it is hit in a cross shot from the upper as well as the lower flipper. Note the closer target is off center - it needs one too.

I really can't wait until these get into production - That other Xmen target and all my iron man drones will get the lockdown.

after2.jpgafter2.jpg
#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I got them going on X-men and LOTR, any other small targets that are prone to move?

Pretty much all of them.

Check out my Whiplash target.

image-355.jpgimage-355.jpg
#45 9 years ago

The U on Tron can block the Quorra and Gem shot

image-512.jpgimage-512.jpg
#46 9 years ago

If this ends up been cost effective, I'd seriously cover every single switch it fits. Why not?

if IIRC, POTC had a particularly troubling switch as well. Here is a pic from IPDB - I remember having to shift several of these often when I owned it.

image-37.jpgimage-37.jpg
#47 9 years ago

Dang, Tim... Looks like you better start cranking them out. Keep MrsMezel up all night restarting the printer! I just looked at Glinda on WOZ, she's crooked too. Maybe I should test fit that one as well *cough*

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The U on Tron can block the Quorra and Gem shot

image-512.jpg 255 KB

That's the first target I thought of. It's a really problematic one.

#49 9 years ago

Hi, Don. TPP triple post.

#50 9 years ago

Wondertwin powers ACTIVATE.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/standup-target-splints-by-mezelmods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.