(Topic ID: 3287)

How to make my own stand-up target decals?

By jay

13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by glilly-BOA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ma.PNG
BK.PNG
#1 13 years ago

Anyone ever make their own replacement decals for a stand-up target? I can't find a tutorial or anything online and I'm not sure what type of material folks might use for this. I'd prefer something DIY so I don't have to pay $300 for 100 stickers—I only need 6 for a Sorcerer.

#2 13 years ago

The only suggestion I would have on this is to print your own and then:

Use "wing sheeting tape" that is very thin and double sided. I use it on my model RC airplanes. It is a clear ultra sticky tape coated on both sides. You can find it at most hobby stores.

#3 13 years ago

I plan to make some of my on for my machines. I figure any good decal paper, and a tough clear tape/decal over them should hold up pretty well if they don't last for a long enough time, they will easy to duplicate and replace.

#4 13 years ago

I have made drop target decals for my Black Knight and Millionaire. I print the art on single sheet labels and then laminate them with a self adhesive lamination sheet (all available at Wal-Mart or Staples etc...). When I apply them to the target, I also apply a thin layer of spray adhesive to help keep them secured (also available most places).

I actually found a tutorial online somewhere that gave a step by step on the above process. I can't remember where it was though. I haven't used it in a while. The process is very simple, so I don't think you'll need the step-by-step.

The biggest issue is getting the art correct. If you can find a downloadable image, that's best. If you can't, you have to scan an original and clean it up in a image editing software package (had to do that with Black Knight).

Below are the images I used for BK and Millionaire.

BK.PNGBK.PNG Ma.PNGMa.PNG

#5 13 years ago

I do design work and photo retouching for a living so getting the artwork taken care of is really the easiest part for me. I like the idea of laminating as I was thinking that would be necessary to protect the printed label. So what sorta labels are you using and who makes the lamination sheets? I ask because I work for Avery Dennison and we make a ton of this stuff... might be able to grab some sample product from the product managers upstairs. Also, if you're printing on sticky labels, what's the spray adhesive for? Is the label adhesive not strong enough to bond to the target?

Thanks for the help all!

#6 13 years ago

I ask because I work for Avery Dennison ...

Well that could certainly come in handy!

#7 13 years ago

You can print the art onto labels and just cover it with a small piece of Mylar once it's down. For most people, getting the art in a format you can print is the hardest part.

#8 13 years ago

You can print the art onto labels and just cover it with a small piece of Mylar once it's down

Mylar would be best I think.

So what sorta labels are you using and who makes the lamination sheets

I use whatever I can find at the time. 8.5x11 self adhesive lamination sheets is what I prefer. Labels, single sheet (8.5x11) avery or whatever brand I can find that looks good.

G

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stand-up-target-decal-fabrication and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.