7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tazmans
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have lots of land and very little indoor space. My collection is probably going to keep expanding. I am considering building an outbuilding. Looking for advise and plans. 84 lumber has a bunch of kit buildings that could be a good place to start.

My dream would be a building for 30 games, a pool table, and if possible a bowling lane. But I don't have any idea how much a bowling alley would cost.

Just wondering if anyone has built a building and do you find that it is used? Seems like it would be good for parties but how much time would I spend in it otherwise.

A much cheaper alternative would just build a storage building to store games and then rotate them back to the house every once in a while. Cheaper yes but difficult to move games as I get old.

Thanks for your insight.

#2 7 years ago

We just moved into a bigger house earlier this year. Our original goal was to buy a house on some acreage and then put up a 600-800 sq ft (or more) building for my arcade and home office. I liked the idea of having to "leave" the house to go to work. A little bit of separation from the house seemed like a great idea. But it was cheaper for us to buy a bigger house close to where we were already living so we didn't go through with it. After living in our new house for nine months, I'm kind of regretting not trying harder to find a house on some land so I could do that dedicated gaming space. I'm still going to end up with a 600 sq ft arcade/office once I start my renovation project but it won't be separate from the house.

I too looked into the bowling lane thing. It's extremely cost prohibitive. Like $60,000-$100,000 per lane cost prohibitive. I think the big expense is the pin reset and ball return mechs. I'm pretty sure there is a thread or two on Pinside about that if you search around. I was thinking about doing a puck bowler to get a little of the bowling feel but I think my wife is more interested in a shuffle board table.

Good luck with your decision!

#4 7 years ago

I think the bowling alley thing can be done much cheaper if your timing is right finding a used pair of lanes at an auction as bowling alleys seem to be closing up every where these days. You can probably get them for $1,000 per lane but the big problem is shipping costs which will probably be several times your $1,000 per lane. I've seen smaller bowling alleys in the past giving them away but you need to get the lanes out by a certain date. Space is also an issue as you need like 85 to 90 feet for the 60 foot lane bed. Twenty feet for the approach and room for a pin setter. There is a house in my sub divusion that was built by a family that owned Pontiac dealerships...built adout 15 years ago. They put a new pair of lanes in the basement and the alleys stick twenty feet out of the side of the house. They put a slightly raised patio there where the basement juts past the house

#5 7 years ago

Of course there is another option, a big ball bowler.

#6 7 years ago
    #7 7 years ago

you could always get a big ball bowler with some lane extensions much more cose efficient!

#8 7 years ago

Getting a full apckage of real pinsetters etc, is not expensive. They are a dime a dozen here in Mich.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stand-alone-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.