Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jfesler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Wow, I finally got JD upstairs but that was truly miserable. However, it is doable solo.

In case anyone else is stuck in the same position here is what I did:

1.) I put JD on the landing using a dolly and leaned it onto the stairs
2.) I cut two 2x4's about 4 inches longer than the width of the nearest door opening upstairs and screwed them together
3.) Using a 30' strapped come-a-long, I used the 2x4's braced against the door frame as the top anchor and wrapped the other end around the machine.
4.) Now I slowly ratcheted the machine up the stairs, adjusting as needed to keep it on the right path.
5.) Once at the top it just took a little brute force to get it safely over the edge (I ran out of come-a-long) and a car jack with a piece of 2x12 to jack it up to put the legs on and slide it into place next to POTO...

Now I think I'm going to go take some Aleve...

#2 9 years ago

Your nuts!!!

#3 9 years ago

Somebody please get down there and help our brother out.

#4 9 years ago

It would have been a whole lot easier if you just buy an Escalera. I happen to sell them

[email protected]

#5 9 years ago

holy frigga sacks...moving a wide body alone up or down stairs? no-no! you must have wanted to get a game in ASAP!

enjoy JD

#7 9 years ago

I want to guess that you are under 30 years old? Because us old guys are to lazy to attempt this and know it takes to long to heal from something like this!

#9 9 years ago

I saw an error in your equation, so I fixed it for you.

Stairs + JD + No Help = Escalara

#10 9 years ago

I don't like asking friends and neighbors for help moving new pins to the basement. Sometimes I have to wait months till I can get help from the family.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

I don't like asking friends and neighbors for help moving new pins to the basement. Sometimes I have to wait months till I can get help from the family.

Dude, seriously.
That's why beer and pizza were invented!

#12 9 years ago

There are a bunch of guys around Houston that will give you a hand for some beer. I got some cabinet wear from moving pins around that I could have avoided had I just asked for help.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from TrevixClemson:

However, it is doable solo.

You are my hero!

15 years for excellence.

#14 9 years ago

You need an Escalera my friend.

#15 9 years ago

Good job and yes it's doable, I've done it but I had to go down stairs. I got it from the detatched garage, across the lawn with no dolly, up on to the back steps, in the door to the basement door, got in front of the game, slid it back towards me then slid the game down one step at a time and bracing each step as I went down backwards. When it was down I put the legs on, leveled it and played some games. Would I do it again.....NO FRICKIN WAY!

#16 9 years ago

I did an IJ down a flight of stairs that had a landing partway down. This was the only time I ever came close to losing one. About killed me.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from t2:

I want to guess that you are under 30 years old? Because us old guys are to lazy to attempt this and know it takes to long to heal from something like this!

Good guess. I'm 28.

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

holy frigga sacks...moving a wide body alone up or down stairs? no-no! you must have wanted to get a game in ASAP!
enjoy JD

Actually I wanted to get it up to the game room and apart. Now I need to send off the deadworld motor for repair and find a ramp (pinball spare parts seems to have sold the last two in stock within the last week)

#18 9 years ago

Good guess. I'm 28.

Only 28? I did mine last year, I was 61 and only 160lbs. But going down is a lot easier then going up.

#19 9 years ago

When I went to pickup my first pinball, along with two arcades, the seller soloed one of the arcades while my wife and I lifted the pinball machine up the stairs. He was seriously built like one of those Worlds Strongest Man contestants. I couldn't believe it.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Only 28? I did mine last year, I was 61 and only 160lbs. But going down is a lot easier then going up.

Lol you win. I am less than half your age and a little over double your weight so I probably have an advantage in that brute force category.

#21 9 years ago

Next time just take the head off. Some connectors, couple of bolts. Then you can man handle the head up, slide the pf out of cabinet and take it up stairs, then grunt up the empty body. Had to do it that way for my STTNG, that was delivered to the curb in my old apartment.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

When I went to pickup my first pinball, along with two arcades, the seller soloed one of the arcades while my wife and I lifted the pinball machine up the stairs. He was seriously built like one of those Worlds Strongest Man contestants. I couldn't believe it.

#23 9 years ago

Lol you win. I am less than half your age and a little over double your weight so I probably have an advantage in that brute force category.

Yeah, you would do it down no problem.

#24 9 years ago

I got my TZ into the house alone.......it is absolutely no fun !!

#25 9 years ago

Behind every man trying to move a pin up or down stairs on his own, is a woman standing there saying "your gonna try to move that yourself???"

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Behind every man trying to move a pin up or down stairs on his own, is a woman standing there saying "your gonna try to move that yourself???"

Not in my case, I'm single so I had no one looking on and saying "your a dumb ass for moving that thing by yourself".

#27 9 years ago

Almost passed out moving this pin upstairs. Had to remove the dolly, lift it over the pin and secure it from the pins side on the landing turn. It just wouldn't make the turn. What a friggin beast.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Almost passed out moving this pin upstairs. Had to remove the dolly, lift it over the pin and secure it from the pins side on the landing turn. It just wouldn't make the turn. What a friggin beast.

Your lucky.

#29 9 years ago

I've moved all of my machines into the basement myself. First time wasn't great JD. Next one wasn't too bad JM. 3rd one was easy Baywatch. Last one pretty good although heavy again TZ. Each time my wife stood by ready to take me to the ER in case of any trouble. I must admit when any have to go up I will need another pair of hands no doubt.

#30 9 years ago

That was a very creative situation that you handled quite well. But do yourself and your body a favor by keeping an eye out on ebay for a used Escalera if you do not want to put out the money for a new one. The resale value on them is very good. Batteries are cheap (but you have to get the sealed gel type so they don't leak when on their side).

Just think of how much money you will lose being out of work from an injury, and how much you will pay in medical deductibles etc. if you tear up a shoulder/back moving a game either up or down the stairs. The Escalera pays for itself and saves you all these problems and the pain of moving a game. If you know enough people you can charge them for moving freezers, hot water tanks etc into and out of their basements.

#31 9 years ago

It seems like it would be much safer (for you and the game) to take the game apart before moving. I usually move mine in and out of the basement alone. I take the head off and playfield out. An empty cabinet is relatively easy to dolly up and down. The rest can generally be carried by hand.

For me it's not even the lack of help that's the issue, but the fact that there's less likely to be damage to my house moving them without the heads through tight openings and a 180 on the landing down into the basement.

I haven't owned a widebody, though I did move a Williams Slugfest that had a ridiculously heavy cabinet. That one was a challenge moving it back up on my own.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

There are a bunch of guys around Houston that will give you a hand for some beer. I got some cabinet wear from moving pins around that I could have avoided had I just asked for help

Here's one.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

That was a very creative situation that you handled quite well. But do yourself and your body a favor by keeping an eye out on ebay for a used Escalera if you do not want to put out the money for a new one. The resale value on them is very good. Batteries are cheap (but you have to get the sealed gel type so they don't leak when on their side).
Just think of how much money you will lose being out of work from an injury, and how much you will pay in medical deductibles etc. if you tear up a shoulder/back moving a game either up or down the stairs. The Escalera pays for itself and saves you all these problems and the pain of moving a game. If you know enough people you can charge them for moving freezers, hot water tanks etc into and out of their basements.

Man I'm going to have to hire you. Sounds exactly what I tell folks at the shows I am at demonstrating the Escalera

[email protected]

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Man I'm going to have to hire you. Sounds exactly what I tell folks at the shows I am at demonstrating the Escalera
[email protected]

How much for one of those bad boys? You guys sorta talked me into buying one now.

#35 9 years ago

Call me for pricing. I need to figure out what you need in the way of model and any accessories.

Larry

#36 9 years ago

Buy the Escalera - it's cheaper than moving to a place without stairs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stairs-jd-no-help-not-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.