Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 246 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by SlapDrain
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240407_224625896 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240407_224713579 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240407_224949742.PORTRAIT (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    428789038_6996289123815158_5252841268585741782_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_0356 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240222_175113452 (resized).jpg
    Pincrawler Bracket (resized).jpg
    IMG_1244 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9593 (resized).png
    There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 1 year ago

Anybody buy this yet and any reviews would be helpful!

2CF83B11-82C5-4E3B-8E21-8CC534D4FB3A (resized).png2CF83B11-82C5-4E3B-8E21-8CC534D4FB3A (resized).png
    #2 1 year ago

There was a discussion about it somewhere and someone also recorded a video on using it. I forget the official name of it, though. Looks like a amazon 3rd party seller used SEO keyword soup in the product listing.

I think the added height off the floor would make it inconvenient to use.

#3 1 year ago

Post 5732 has a picture. See if other posts after it have any input.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-scooby-doo-hype-thread/page/115#post-7386881

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

I bought this one below. Much less money than what your link shows. So far only done some test pin hauls up stairs but works great. Yes the 5" off the floor is a pain, am in the process of putting standard hands truck nose on instead, involves cutting off brackets.
    Another thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-cheaper-stair-climbing-dolly

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099S16WY5

#5 1 year ago

For what it's worth I know two local pinsiders who both own this model from Amazon which I think now is under $1100. I have seen it in use as well as used it myself to haul pins both up and down a flight of stairs. It worked really well and I found it easier to use than esclaras because you don't have to rebalance the weight at each step ..this design is a lot more stable. I can't speak to the durability differences if you were using this or an escalara every day, but I liked this one and would consider buying it. We did have two people each time to help get the game onto it given the higher clearance however.

#6 1 year ago

I have one of these but do not have the extra handles. Love this thing!! have brought in and out games and has made it super easy. arcades are a little tougher due to them being higher than the top control handle but just wedge your hand in there and you are good. this has been a back and life saver! I got mine from an amazon reseller for $300.

#7 1 year ago

For anyone that has this style of stair climber, how does it do on carpet?

#8 1 year ago

A friend and I picked up a game from waldo34 and he had a pincrawler which is essentially this thing with some mods. He swears by it and I gotta say, watching him use it I was highly impressed by it. When we got back to my buddys and had to move the game down his stairs we were definitely missing it.

#9 1 year ago

I tried this at Pinball Expo 2021 and it was very smooth. The tread gripping multiple steps is nice.

#10 1 year ago

A little cutting, a little grinding, a little painting, drilling and tapping, and I believe this will work much better without the giant 5" off the floor dolly on the front.

I also took off the too short seat belt and bolted on some d-rings to strap too. Tried to figure out how to mount a retractable ratchet strap, but the ones I have were too bulky to fit decently.

Decided to buy an aluminum nose plate instead of making one out of steel, would have liked the back rise a little higher but worked out fine.

Here is the nose plate I bought. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMVGRDC

This will work very well in my upcoming move getting everything out of the basement.

PXL_20230312_200928530 (resized).jpgPXL_20230312_200928530 (resized).jpgPXL_20230312_200935606 (resized).jpgPXL_20230312_200935606 (resized).jpg
    #11 1 year ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

A little cutting, a little grinding, a little painting, drilling and tapping, and I believe this will work much better without the giant 5" off the floor dolly on the front.
    I also took off the too short seat belt and bolted on some d-rings to strap too. Tried to figure out how to mount a retractable ratchet strap, but the ones I have were too bulky to fit decently.
    Decided to buy an aluminum nose plate instead of making one out of steel, would have liked the back rise a little higher but worked out fine.
    Here is the nose plate I bought. amazon.com link »
    This will work very well in my upcoming move getting everything out of the basement.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's awesome! I was thinking of buying one of these (or at least one very similar), and asked the dealer if it would be possible to have a plate like this instead. He claimed that the center of balance would be out of sorts and ~fundamentally wouldn't work, which I didn't quite understand. Have you tested it out?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

That's awesome! I was thinking of buying one of these (or at least one very similar), and asked the dealer if it would be possible to have a plate like this instead. He claimed that the center of balance would be out of sorts and ~fundamentally wouldn't work, which I didn't quite understand. Have you tested it out?

I have not taken it up the stairs yet. will try that out soon and report back.

#13 1 year ago

I shot a couple quick cell phone videos this morning, first one running through the features, second one running it up the stairs with a cab on it. to answer your question joetechbob I didn't have any balance issues at all. Because of the size and placement of the wheels in relation to the tracks, if you attempt to tilt it too far back the tracks with hit the floor and you can't roll it. That point however was beyond where I would normally be using it. The other thing you run into is if you need to go over a bump or door threshold the tracks may hit those as well so may need to run the tracks to get over bumps you would just roll over with a regular hand truck.

Tour of the modded hand truck:

Running it up the stairs:

#14 1 year ago

Nice, that toe plate mod makes it light years more attractive as a viable stair climber. Nice job

#15 1 year ago

I’d like to see it run up a flight of carpeted steps. If for some reason it started to lose traction, can it be tipped up so it would rest on a step?

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

I’d like to see it run up a flight of carpeted steps. If for some reason it started to lose traction, can it be tipped up so it would rest on a step?

I'll have some carpeted stairs at the new house. I'll just be going down them in a couple months, but should be able to test out how they do.

I would think you could tilt it up and get the wheels on a step, but might be an awkward balance position. The wheels do have a locking mechanism on them that would probably help in that situation but likely would need to lock them before starting up, which would then make things awkward at the top of the flight of stairs not being able to roll away without unlocking depending on how much space you have there.

#17 1 year ago

I have one of these. I like mine. Like BorgDog I found I had to make a modification to be more useful.

I was pushing for a plate with the dealer similar to the one BorgDog put on his climber; the dealer said it was not possible Interested in his experience especially since I have found that back wheels when used like a dolly was not the best experience with a heavy pin. Very cool stuff BorgDog interested to hear your experiences using your modded climber.

I bolted a slide plate to bottom to make putting pins on it easier. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B26SZ8K1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

To load games, I put a 4X4 under the pin and then just slide the pin easily on the climber. The pink line below is where I mounted that plate.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #18 1 year ago
    Quoted from uccash:

For anyone that has this style of stair climber, how does it do on carpet?

not one issue at all. I have long pile carpet and its smooth. will actually stop it and make sure I'm lined up good and then go again. have used it on short pile carpet and no damage or issues getting up. I also like the platform that is on there. you just need to tilt the game enough to get up on it. I have a 90 degree turn to get down the stairs and the caster platform makes it a breeze. I would not change it to the nose plate due to the ease of turning into the house.

#19 1 year ago

Wow. Couldn't find anything on this very same hand truck but I recently injured myself and decided to take a chance with it. I wasn't interested in an Escalera due to the higher cost and because every comment praising one seems to have another one that's a horror story. I literally just ordered this and now I stumble upon this thread.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

not one issue at all. I have long pile carpet and its smooth. will actually stop it and make sure I'm lined up good and then go again. have used it on short pile carpet and no damage or issues getting up. I also like the platform that is on there. you just need to tilt the game enough to get up on it. I have a 90 degree turn to get down the stairs and the caster platform makes it a breeze. I would not change it to the nose plate due to the ease of turning into the house.

Good point on the dolly platform for landing turning. Fortunately both my current house and the new one are all straight runs, if I had turns I might have not done the conversation.

#21 1 year ago

I have an escalera I like a lot, but this looks interesting. Anyone know the depth of the unit with a game strapped to it? I have a 90 degree turn and my escalera just barely makes.

Any attachments for it. The big wheel adapter for the escalera makes a big difference.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

I shot a couple quick cell phone videos this morning, first one running through the features, second one running it up the stairs with a cab on it. to answer your question joetechbob I didn't have any balance issues at all. Because of the size and placement of the wheels in relation to the tracks, if you attempt to tilt it too far back the tracks with hit the floor and you can't roll it. That point however was beyond where I would normally be using it. The other thing you run into is if you need to go over a bump or door threshold the tracks may hit those as well so may need to run the tracks to get over bumps you would just roll over with a regular hand truck.
    Tour of the modded hand truck:

Running it up the stairs:

That looks great! When I tried an unmodified one at expo it was way smoother/easier than an Escalera but I just couldn't get past the platform vs toe plate. You look to have struck the perfect balance -- nice work!

#23 1 year ago

I think I'm going to order this cart and toe plate. How hard was it to drill and tap the steel bracket you pointed out in your video? Did you have to use a drill press?

#24 1 year ago

Looks like the best thing sense sliced bread. Getting harder to find a helper with kids leaving the nest this makes it a 1 man operation. 5 stars

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

I think I'm going to order this cart and toe plate. How hard was it to drill and tap the steel bracket you pointed out in your video? Did you have to use a drill press?

I'd love to know how difficult this was as well. Was getting ready to pull the trigger on an Escalera, but have always been concerned about the horror stories. This may be coming along at the perfect time for me.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

It's not hard if you have the tools already, which I did. The only thing I bought was the 5/16" x 3/4" flat head machine screws from my local Ace Hardware. You could probably use a round head screw as well and not have to chamfer the hole in the aluminum plate. Anything longer than 3/4" and you would probably run into the wheel.

I just used a cordless hand drill for all the holes, nothing fancy as grandpa used to say 'we ain't building no piano'

The brackets I cut off with a cut off disc in the angle grinder, then cleaned up with a grinding wheel.

Painted the cut areas with some epoxy paint I had leftover from another project.

I put the aluminum toe plate on about 1/4" thick carboard to raise it up so the cart would lean just a tad forward at rest, and clamped it to the front of the cart where I had cut the brackets off.

I laid the whole thing down on it's back and carefully measured and marked where the holes would go, then drilled a pilot hole through the aluminum and steel with like a 3/16" bit. NOTE: PUT A STEEL RULER OR SOMETHING BEHIND WHERE YOU ARE DRILLING SO YOU DON'T DRILL INTO THE WHEEL.

I then unclamped and drilled out the aluminum with the 5/16" bit for the machine screw to go through, and chamfered the whole with a chamfer bit.

I drilled out the steel to the size specified for the tap, I think 17/64", and tapped it with the tap. AGAIN, PROTECT THE WHEEL.

Then basically bolted it together.

At most a couple hours work spread over 2 days to allow the paint to dry.

#27 1 year ago

Thanks BorgDog

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I got mine from an amazon reseller for $300.

Got a link?

#29 1 year ago

was a guy who sells amazon returns that I found on facebook. he had it for a long time and I just kept watching the price go down and then jumped at it. was a 4 hour drive each way to go pick it up but was well worth it. so, sorry. no link

#30 1 year ago

Ordered the items you linked @borgdog. Will report back how it goes and give a review relative to my Escalera.

These two: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JMVGRDC and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099S16WY5

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tortelvis:

Here it is on carpeted stairs. It really did well.

#32 1 year ago

I have a Wesco stair king but I am very impressed with this.... Looks much easier and smoother. I may purchase one based on more feedback here.
    VERY COOL

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Here it is on carpeted stairs. It really did well.

Did you feel that two people were necessary and how did you get the machine on the actual device, did you guys just lift it onto it?

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Did you feel that two people were necessary and how did you get the machine on the actual device, did you guys just lift it onto it?

One person could easily do it. It was the first time using it so I was just being extra cautious.

#36 1 year ago

Loading the game on dolly is really the only part where a 2nd person was helpful. I put the game on a pallet to raise it up enough to transfer it to the dolly.

Once it’s loaded the stair climber does all the work your only job is to keep it pinned against the stairs. When it’s in motion it will want to move away from the stairs. So we’re talking like 10pounds of pressure to hold it in place.

When I first got it I did a trial run with nothing on it and if you stop half way the tread grips the stair firm.

#37 1 year ago

I got one back in the expo of 21' and have used it ever since. I probably went up and down vehicles and stairs over 50 times now. It impresses me every time and would never go without it again. I have the one from the pinball place called the pincrawler which is just like the one from amazon but was priced better. Highly recommend it. I use it by myself every time. I have done carpet, wood, vinyl floors and stairs with ease. Also mine came with an extra set of tracks which I have never had to touch yet.

Conrad

#39 1 year ago

Just got mine today and it’s an absolute game changer for moving stuff upstairs! Super super easy to use. You def need two people to get on the lip but I just used a thick blanket and slid it on with a little side to side motion no problem at all. I would highly recommend This if you have stair up and down stairs

#40 1 year ago

Im honsetly really scared to use my escalara up and down stairs. For hand trucking machines and using pinball plates, its awesome, maybe this is what I need, do you think outdoor wooden stairs would be fine as long as they are dry?

#41 1 year ago

I bought one of these new, last year for about 1,200 on Ebay to save my back when moving machines up and down the stairs by myself. The four roller wheels are actually very helpful when negotiating the machine to where you need it to go but it takes a little effort to get the machine onto the platform. I usually put it against something solid so it won't move and then tilt the machine back and shimmy it onto the platform and strap it on with a ratcheting strap (the seatbelt they give you really doesn't work very well for pinball machines). I did cut out a piece of wood and fastened it to the platform with brackets because the metal bars offset the machines that have the two long wooden braces on the bottom of them. Also, when bringing a machine down the stairs, I don't pull out the locking mechanism to bring the treads out further from the handtruck, I just leave them in the closed position. I hope this helps!

#42 1 year ago

To toe plate or not to toe plate. That is the question...

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

I got to try out one of these with a platform at expo. Getting a game up on the platform was annoying enough that I decided to buy an escalera from Flip N Out instead, even though the motion of the escalera wasn't nearly as nice. Just didn't feel like screwing around with blankets or whatever do get it up there, and then it seemed destined to mar up the bottom of your game once you did.

Long story short, having a toe plate on this platform is a game changer and as such I anticipate it will cause my escalera to be relegated to the closet

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

My last hand truck with toe plate has damaged flooring in my home while navigating with a machine strapped to it. So I'm leaning towards "not to toe plate."

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

My last hand truck with toe plate has damaged flooring in my home while navigating with a machine strapped to it. So I'm leaning towards "not to toe plate."

Did you slide it? Or what kind of damage? Perhaps one could add felt to the bottom of the toe plate?

#46 1 year ago

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/EMSS-200kg-Load-Electric-Stair-Climbing_1600305768288.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.1600197eLeZGbf&s=p

I really wanna check this one out. That was pointed out above. Larger wheels and tow plate already installed. Looks just like a different package of what’s being talked about and has the same weight rating

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/EMSS-200kg-Load-Electric-Stair-Climbing_1600305768288.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.1600197eLeZGbf&s=p
    I really wanna check this one out. That was pointed out above. Larger wheels and tow plate already installed. Looks just like a different package of what’s being talked about and has the same weight rating

If you do, report in

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

I literally just watched that video! Lol

That one looks really nice, but I didn't see it's weight capacity.

If you have stairs, these things are a life saver and worth their weight in gold. A no brainer buy.

#49 1 year ago

Looks really good and the price is reasonable. Has it been hard tested yet? Like thrown down some stairs lol?

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

Did you slide it? Or what kind of damage? Perhaps one could add felt to the bottom of the toe plate?

I have a high pile carpet square I flip upside down to slide pins on wood. I have often joked about making them and giving it a dumb name like pin slider with how effective it has been.

There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stair-climber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.