Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by Antoshka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

OK, so what's up with stacking? Aside from it being a blast to light up a machine like chinese new year...and the fact that each shot can potentially be worth multiple values....is there any other real benefits? Is there some type of extra payoff you get from stacking multiballs as opposed to playing them one at a time?

#2 9 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of stacking is points.

#3 9 years ago

Depends on what game you are talking about.
    On BSD, stacking is a must.
    Any game you have in mind?

#4 9 years ago

yeah, but does stacking 3 multiballs and shooting the shots give you more points than shooting those same shots while playing the multiballs individually?

is there any added value? sometimes I feel I get more time in a mode when i stack it with a mb, but that might be my imagination.

#5 9 years ago

The games I have the most experience with are LOTR and SM and now CSI...but ive stacked alot of multiballs on a lot of pinball machines.

why is stacking in bsd more important than playing the modes/mbs individually?

#6 9 years ago

in TSPP and TZ I stack for the likelihood of completion of a mode or multiple modes in the given time, additionally when multiball and stacked modes are running your per whack-a-mole hit on each ball is higher then a single ball. aka big points. also if you get a mode completed or bonused or jackpotted etc.. then its BIG POINTS. I like caps so i strive for those BIG POINTS. after all its not a game of who can play with their balls the longest. but who can WIN! (and winning unlike the game of soccer where you can tie, is important dont ya know) so if your not a winner you wouldnt want to stack...

are you a winner?

#7 9 years ago

If you only knew.

#8 9 years ago

In BSD for example, the number of concurrent multiballs determines the number of points for the jackpots; 10M/20M/30M

EDIT: apparently the multiplier also applies to Bats and Rats, for even more ridiculous points. I had not personally noticed that.

#9 9 years ago

BSD gives you 2x on everything when you have 2 MB's going, and 3x when all 3 are going.
    SM is a good example of where you like to stack a mode with a MB to help complete the mode.
    Bonesaw for example, is very good to go into MB with.
    TSPP has a mode timer that resets to ~30 sec. everytime you start another mode, so you can have lots of time and play up to all the modes at once, then start a MB.
    TZ its nice to take some clock mode, or Spiral into MB.
    Every game is different, and so are some players thoughts on what should or shouldn't be stacked.
    -DNO-

#10 9 years ago

I gotta get me a BSD! Anyone selling one in NY Tri-state area?

Yeah, and I guess I knew that mb stacking in MM is pretty key...but to my knowledge, not all games provide added benefit beyond killing two or more birds with one stone. Someone should devise a list with all the games with specific stacking rules that reward a player for playing various modes and MBs simultaneously.

#11 9 years ago

Shots are worth 2, 3, 4 etc for the price of one.

#12 9 years ago

Stacking = points & completion

Miss that loop, no worries as the ramp completed a mode plus rewarded a jackpot.

Stacks & Multiballs reward missed shots

#13 9 years ago

LOTR stacking is kind of important because it's a LOT easier to complete modes in most cases stacked with multiball. Cases in point:

Gandalf vs. Saruman - There is a wandering shot that you must hit at one point. If you have great ball control you can just wait for it to move somewhere you can shoot with a trapped ball and snipe it, or if you're in multiball, just spray-n-pray and you'll probably get it 95% of the time.

Kill the Wargs - It's every shot on the playfield. I think you can see how multiball would help here.

Kill the Witch King - Combo shots are much faster to do with two balls under control on opposite flippers than 1.

Gollum - You start multiball with 4 balls if you stack gollum with multiball. You have an average whole-playfield point increase of 1.5x while Gollum is active. Gollum gives you two balls to shoot ring modes with.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

sometimes I feel I get more time in a mode when i stack it with a mb, but that might be my imagination.

Not your imagination. On virtually every modern Stern, a ball in the pop bumpers will delay or pause any running timer. Even during MB. Often letting a ball intentionally drain during multiball (while the ball saver is running) can be a good idea. On games like TSPP, starting another mode while another mode already running (and multiball) will reset the timer to max. Stacking modes with a multiball is probably generally more profitable than just stacking multiballs. YMWV, of course.

AC/DC has a multiplier similar to BSD, although I haven't haven't had much time on the new software to notice the difference.

8 years later
    #15 86 days ago

On modern Sterns, stacking might be the key to getting a great score!!!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside