(Topic ID: 107995)

ST vs TAF...or what should replace Whirlwind?

By Hougie

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG1984.jpg
gameroom.jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Well my favorite game (Whirlwind) is going to be leaving at some point. I currently have a STLE as a temp trade for WW. While I do like the game, I'm not sure that it's really grabbing me. I can't put a finger on it... I really love linking big combos. I really love nailing the warp ramp repeatedly. There is just something about it that is not screaming classic.

I played TAF several times at Louisville Expo and really liked it. TAF seems to be the obvious replacement for WW due to the designer and layout. For the players that have spent significant time on both, which would fill the shoes of WW best?

#2 9 years ago

TAF is a blast.
very complex, very challenging, fun to mod, looks cool, great music & voice-overs, ...

#3 9 years ago

I think TAF is probably the most obvious replacement for WW and I really enjoyed the games I played on it at expo. I just haven't spent much time playing it.

#4 9 years ago

i have owned TAF for several years. I play it almost every day, and have a dozen pins

#5 9 years ago

ST if you want fast gameplay, I loved TAF when it was in the arcades back in the day but when I bought it a few years back didn't like it at all, feels old and the theme next to ST is sorry to say childish. Not that its a bad game but I would get ST for sure.

#6 9 years ago

I'd have to say TAF all the way.There's a reason it stays in the top 5 All Time Best Pin!

#7 9 years ago

TAF is my favorite game of all time, and it's not just nostalgia talking. If you liked WW, you'll appreciate TAF, it's the spiritual sequel.

And you'll need this:
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-addams-family-pinball-machine/

#8 9 years ago

Both games are keepers in our collection.
I guess Addams Family would win if it came to decision time, but that should never happen.

#9 9 years ago

Whirlwind and TAF are both Pat Lawlor games. Seems like you are a Pat Lawlor fan rather than a Steve Ritchie fan.

#10 9 years ago

TAF all the way- ST is a fun, short-term diversion. I have owned and sold many of my A list games over the years (AFM, IJ, TOM, MB to name a few); but have retained and continue to enjoy TAFG. Such a cool pin which keeps me coming back. At this point, my only preferred W/B is MM. These 2 are likely my all time keepers and are the perfect complement (IMO) to newer Stern titles like MET/ACDC premiums and SM. I certainly don't think this is a childish theme; and once it's customized with LEDs (including front & back led strips) and a color DMD, this pin has an awesome glow and very fun gameplay.

#12 9 years ago

You kidding me, TAF hands down. Way more to do and each mode feels different.

#13 9 years ago

TAF is one of the best games ever.

#14 9 years ago

I own both and would pick TAF. It's just pure fun to me.

#15 9 years ago

Owned both, still have TAF. More variety IMHO.

#16 9 years ago

If you want something along the lines of whirlwind, of course go for TAF. That said I would get bored with it even though I love the theme. It's kind of just seeing how many tours you can go through in a game. St atleast has some depth to go through although the first level modes are kind of a waste.

#17 9 years ago

Any Lawlor pin tick my boxes...

cheers
/mima

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

sorry to say childish.

Taf? Wow,don't get me started on childish themes.There are many titles I wouldn't have,no matter how fantastic they are at depth play rush etc.. If the theme puts me off,i don't want it.

#19 9 years ago

TAF all the way. It's as simple as an all-time classic (it's really the pin the ushered in the DMD era of the last 20+ years) and the pin by which all others are judged. ST isn't terrible, but it's part of a long-line of Stern cookie cutter models over the last 5 years that have no heart or soul.

#20 9 years ago

TAF is awesome. That game is a permanent resident in our game room. There's a lot to do it it to give it a little more pop....I've done more since, but check out my refresh thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pumping-some-new-pop-into-my-taf

#21 9 years ago

I guess I don't need to add a poll, huh? Lol. I think that character and charm is what may be missing in ST. The shots, lighting, and sounds rock though.

What time I did spend on TAF was great. It seems like it could be a keeper. I love Pat's style. The only issues that I had with it were the sound quality of the call outs and the lighting in the back of the playfield. I know that the lighting can be tweaked but the sound is what it is, right? Not a deal breaker by any means, but I did remember the call outs sounding kind of distorted.

#22 9 years ago

Nice thread. Another game to consider Hougie would be Twilight Zone. I am a fanatic of the game. I had my first TZ a year ago then sold it and just bought it back. It is a classic Lawlor pin. There are so many things to do on the game. It always keeps me coming back. The game is very interesting and fun for those who know the rules. The game has character. Anyway just a thought. Can't go wrong with either. Let us know what you decide then post pics. As you know if there are no pics it never happened!

#23 9 years ago

TAF is the greatest creation of mankind.

Ask yourself this - do you enjoy smiling?

#24 9 years ago

I love whirlwind but hated Taf. Glad mine is gone. Find a tz.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

...and the lighting in the back of the playfield.

Mods

#26 9 years ago

Yeah, I'm not worried about lighting. Like you and 27dnast have pointed out that can be fixed easily enough.

I also updated the thread title. I will unfortunately need to move WW along. Just looking for a worthy replacement. Keep the suggestions coming.

#27 9 years ago

Different strokes for different folks, I loved playing TAF and TZ in college they were my favorite games, and grew up playing all Williams games however now owning these newer Sterns honestly I would rather have them in my lineup such as IM, ST, MET, ACDC... Can't go wrong either way thou TAF and ST are both strong titles...

#28 9 years ago

It's hard to tell but TAF seems to have some popularity. If you are looking for a similar replacement, why not Earthshaker? They seem to go together with their similar themes. Funhouse is another great pre-dmd game that screams classic.

#29 9 years ago

did you come up with a price for whirlwind or is it staying with your friend so that you can still play it?

#30 9 years ago

TAF is my fav by far, but I have enjoyed the min play on ST I have had. I just haven't had enough time to decide on the rules. I think it's one of the better playing new sterns.

....but.... TAF is proven gold best ever.

Here is a helpful equation for threads like this:

TAF > X, where X represents any machine other than TAF.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

did you come up with a price for Whirlwind or is it staying with your friend so that you can still play it?

He still has it and is thinking. He will be on vacation through the weekend. I will try to get a firm answer the beginning of next week. Selfishly, I hope that he decides to buy it! Either way I will send you a pm.

#32 9 years ago

It all depends on your play preference and style. Stop and go or fast and furious? I've owned a few TAF over the past 15 years and currently have a gold, but have to say STLE is a better playing game for me. I also own a lot of other Lawlor and Ritchie pins though, so can't go wrong with either. If you prefer lawlors style though, try TZ as others have said. It's TAF on steroids.

#33 9 years ago

If WW is your favorite pin, my vote is to keep it.

If you are no kidding getting rid of it go for TAF.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

If WW is your favorite pin, my vote is to keep it.
If you are no kidding getting rid of it go for TAF.

I would love to but the tornado theme is touchy for my wife... maybe when it is not so fresh with her.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-advice-should-it-stay-or-go-fans-only#post-2000424

#35 9 years ago

Retheme it as a post-apocalyptic game. "Return to your domes!"

#36 9 years ago

taf. keep the ww!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Different strokes for different folks, I loved playing TAF and TZ in college they were my favorite games, and grew up playing all Williams games however now owning these newer Sterns honestly I would rather have them in my lineup such as IM, ST, MET, ACDC... Can't go wrong either way thou TAF and ST are both strong titles...

In some ways, I have to agree with this. The new Stern games are pretty awesome. I absolutely love banging out games on ST and AC/DC.

While I love games on TAF...I think AC/DC is my favorite in-game experience

#38 9 years ago

Metallica and AC/DC are proof that newer Stern games can rock. People that claim that Stern sucks in comparison to 90s B/W need to put a few games on those...but I do love some 90s games. I most likely will nab an Addams. The trick will be timing and finding a reasonably priced game. We shall see.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Metallica and AC/DC are proof that newer Stern games can rock. People that claim that Stern sucks in comparison to 90s B/W need to put a few games on those...but I do love some 90s games. I most likely will nab an Addams. The trick will be timing and finding a reasonably priced game. We shall see.

Stern is lesser quality, but they have been like that since DE. In that though, it doesn't mean that DE->Stern has not made great games. Stern just has a much less win-to-lose ratio than the glory days of WPCs, but there are certainly some new sterns that are some of the best ever made of any era or manufacturer.

Just buy what catches your eye. For each machine, there is someone who hates it to death, and someone who will tell you it's the best thing ever, read any review out there, this aspect is present.

Ask the questions, read the reviews, watch the youtube vids, you'll make informed decisions in the end. But, yeah.... just listen to me on TAF

Best of luck!

#40 9 years ago

I love whirlwind but TAF does nothing for me and I do get some nostalgia from TAF. ST all the way.

#41 9 years ago

WW was my fave game of all time. I sold it to help finance an MB, which was my grail. Love MB but man do I miss WW. If you do decide to sell yous please PM me, as you're in my neck of the woods...

#42 9 years ago

I know a guy with a TAF.

#43 9 years ago

I think you made the right choice out of respect for your wife. Good call there, man.

Go with TAF - it is like a more complex Whirlwind. Definitely a suitable replacement. Star Trek is fun, but TAF suits your needs better, and is frankly the better game.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I love Whirlwind but TAF does nothing for me and I do get some nostalgia from TAF. ST all the way.

This guy has no idea what he is talking about, TAF is the best pin ever. #1 in the history of all pins ever created.

Since it is not in his lineup currently all of the sudden Taxi is a better title. I like to place a pillow on the lock bar when I play Taxi for those mid game naps that seem to sneak up on me.

#45 9 years ago

On a side note to this thread Star Trek is literally amazing. Add the new art and the pro looks great. ***** notice you still must have a TAF in the lineup.

gameroom.jpggameroom.jpg

1 week later
#47 9 years ago

WW in my opinion is a better game than TAF. ST has possibilities with further code. Id keep WW.

#48 9 years ago

Most likely individual taste and circumstances, I like both these and add Spiderman. I looked at all of these today and when it was said and done I bought the new Star Trek Pro. I'm very excited but that doesn't mean I may pick up either of these pins down the road. I play pinball by far the most, but it helps to have your wife's blessing.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Taf? Wow,don't get me started on childish themes.There are many titles I wouldn't have,no matter how fantastic they are at depth play rush etc.. If the theme puts me off,i don't want it.

Listen I loved those movies and really liked the pin in the 90's at the arcades so maybe childish fits more with TFG or SPP but to choose between TAF and ST I'm going with ST every time, TAF has great character and gameplay but feels dated. JMO

#50 9 years ago

ST is so fast and fun for all players. Its really hard to beat the flow and design. If you have friends that are not on Pinside or really not into pinball (like the rest of us) but played as a kid they will all want to play TAF. So in my mind its a toss up. No question ST is the best new Stern pin available. (IMO)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-vs-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.