• 41 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Wamprat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone,
i have a question fo people who had the chance to play all these sterrn games: Star Trek, Game of Thrones and Grostbusters (pro versions).
Im planning to buy one of these, but i don't have a chance to play any of them around here (at least not yet)
I like all 3 themes almost equall so my question is purely about the gameplay. What yould you prefer?
Stop and go games are not my thing so i'm mainly interrested in fast games with good flow and rules deep enough to keeps me interrested for a while. But main thing for me is fluent play (for instance...i had the SST for 2 years and i loved it for its speed and action packed gameplay even though it has pretty shallow and repetitive rules)
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

P.S. There is also secondary question...do you think that new stern's SPIKE system should make any difference when it comes to the final decision?

#2 7 years ago

If you like flow, get a GOT pro. There was a recent thread about TWD/GOT/GB you might want to check out. And you should probably add a poll.

EDIT: You never said if these were pro, premium, or LE models. It does make a difference!

#3 7 years ago

Star Trek. Nothing beats the warp shot.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Star Trek. Nothing beats the warp shot.

When you actually make it (I usually don't).

#5 7 years ago

If you are interested in a fast game with flow I highly recommend ST. It is very fun and the light show is incredible!

#6 7 years ago

I'm going to take GB right out of the running. It's not a flow game, and really, I don't care for it.

The other two are a tougher call and really come down to preference.

Out of those two, I picked GoT over ST, but I do understand how someone else could make the exact opposite choice. They both can have buckets of flow. In GoT I also prefer the Pro model, but again, I can see how others would prefer the Prem and LE.

GoT came out of the gate with a great ruleset. I found it fairly easy to understand, but high scores are tough to get. I feel the game does a good job of telling you your objectives, but there is a constant quest for multipliers. That shot you just made could have been worth 5 times more if you had done it right, but time was low, and you finished the house for a low value. As you get more into it, it just keeps giving.

ST doesn't do as good a job at communicating. It ends up feeling like "hit the lit shot". That's a shame because behind that, there is a logic to which shots are lit next. It's all there, but it fails at communication. It can flow like crazy, but you really need to latch in a bit of next level thinking to it to get the real value. They also have decent sub-wizard modes to get to. The game is good in all 3 versions.

So I think both are good games. Where GB fails is in the design. I don't mind difficult games, but GB felt like it cheats. It has issues for me in the design itself that I felt should have been corrected during the whitewood phase. I know they played it, because it has one of those half lane blockers from Spider-Man. I just didn't think it was fun, and you have two other very fun games. So you don't need to listen to the hype about GB.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you like flow, get a GOT pro. There was a recent thread about TWD/GOT/GB you might want to check out. And you should probably add a poll.
EDIT: You never said if these were pro, premium, or LE models. It does make a difference!

thanks for the reply, its all about PRO versions.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm going to take GB right out of the running. It's not a flow game, and really, I don't care for it.
The other two are a tougher call and really come down to preference.
Out of those two, I picked GoT over ST, but I do understand how someone else could make the exact opposite choice. They both can have buckets of flow. In GoT I also prefer the Pro model, but again, I can see how others would prefer the Prem and LE.
GoT came out of the gate with a great ruleset. I found it fairly easy to understand, but high scores are tough to get. I feel the game does a good job of telling you your objectives, but there is a constant quest for multipliers. That shot you just made could have been worth 5 times more if you had done it right, but time was low, and you finished the house for a low value. As you get more into it, it just keeps giving.
ST doesn't do as good a job at communicating. It ends up feeling like "hit the lit shot". That's a shame because behind that, there is a logic to which shots are lit next. It's all there, but it fails at communication. It can flow like crazy, but you really need to latch in a bit of next level thinking to it to get the real value. They also have decent sub-wizard modes to get to. The game is good in all 3 versions.
So I think both are good games. Where GB fails is in the design. I don't mind difficult games, but GB felt like it cheats. It has issues for me in the design itself that I felt should have been corrected during the whitewood phase. I know they played it, because it has one of those half lane blockers from Spider-Man. I just didn't think it was fun, and you have two other very fun games. So you don't need to listen to the hype about GB.

Thanks for informative reply...especialy for the comment about GB hype, i saw tons of GB gameplay videos but i've felt like there is something wrong with the design just from watching it, but there was also a lot of positive comments about this pin everywhere so i wasn't sure. Now i have a better idea.

#9 7 years ago

I've played all 3...and own a ST pro. GB looks like it is well on its way to being a winner. I liked the way it shot...it felt unique. Lots to do on this game. Assuming it ends up with good code, it's definitely one to consider. It's on my future radar (I personally wouldn't buy now because I'm not interested in being a beta tester for the next ____ months).

I've only played GOT Pro a handful of times, but was really unimpressed. It's not a striking game to look at and feels really stripped-down and empty. Perhaps flat is a better word. Just seems to lack any kind of "pinball magic" or "it" factor. Now, that's just a first impression...the first time I played IM I had a similar impression, but that game is now one of my favorites (and if you're looking for fast and flow, IM is one to consider). At any rate, GOT feels about as fan as fan can get. Code seemed interesting...but, overall, I'd personally skip this one. There's a lot of players out there that love it, though... I don't see it, but apparently there's something there that people like.

ST has been in my home for 2 years...It's a great game. Lots of bling and shots that just seem to line up with the flippers. The third flipper is well used with warp ramp and the lock bank. Theme integration is fantastic...the music, the call outs, the dots...all executed well. There are some great mods on the market to dress the machine up. I think the code is good and allows for interesting game play strategy...have had a ton of fun playing it. Supposedly there's an update coming, but who knows. This game can make you feel like a champion.

If I were buying right now, I'd go for ST. A year from now, ST and GB could potentially be neck-and-neck.

I don't ever see a scenario where GOT lands in my game room.

Good luck, hope you enjoy what you buy!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

When you actually make it (I usually don't).

Takes a lot of practice. I think it comes down more to timing than anything else.

I once made 8 warps in a row. That is the best rush in all of pinball.

#11 7 years ago

Based on your desire for a super fast game I would go with ST pro. The theme integration is great on ST and the rules are pretty deep. I just can't get into GOT Pro due to the weak theme integration (artwork comes across like a generic medieval theme) and the playfield itself seems empty and has a plastic overload feeling to it.

#12 7 years ago

ST Pro was pretty fun for the short time I owned it. I did get a little bored with the rule set though. The warp ramp was an adrenaline rush.

#13 7 years ago

Another vote for ST pro. ST and GoT share the Stevie Richie genes, but I just think ST has fantastic flow, with several very satisfying and relatively easy shots (not all shots are easy though!!). I loved GoT the first time I played it, but the honeymoon did not last long.
GB is not for everyone - you should try it before deciding. Harder, tight shots, unforgiving outlanes...

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Temujin:

Now i have a better idea.

Not necessarily It's better not to take any single individuals opinion - especially on a very new game, that the person may have only played a small number of times and is making an uninformed / too quick opinion on.

I'll use TWD as the perfect example - sooooo many people panned it as awful, but TWD is a game that takes time to appreciate. TWD is one of the best games out there, and has excellent longevity in a collection, but many people didn't like it at all at first. Many people have changed their opinion on TWD and explain their change of mind due to "the rules have changed so much" - but that's not true. Sure, wizard modes got added and a few rule tweaks - but what really happened is that psychologically most people don't want to admit that they were wrong, so they justify their actions/opinions with some other explanation. IE: "I wasn't wrong, it's because the rules sucked before and now they're great", rather than "I judged the game prematurely, and didn't really have enough time on it or understand the rules enough to see how great it is".

#15 7 years ago

I agree with removing GB from the equation if you are looking for flow

I would take ST over GOT

You mentioned deep rules and ST might not be deep in the way TSPP or LOTR are deep but there is plenty of depth and strategy
there are 6 missions that go 3 deep each
tons of strategy on how you want to beat your modes to gain their bonuses
Beat a mission all the 3 times get 1 shot lit for double value the rest of the game
beat 3 in a row to light captains chair and gain a bonus, or try and do a "V" and gain two bonsues
try and beat all level 1 missions to get to kobayashi maru
beat all level 2 missions to get to enterprise amok
beat all level 3 missions get to 5 year mission
stack klingon multiball or vengence multiball with modes
galactic away team shot
combos galore
flow for days
great light show

to me GOT is just light lock, lock ball, stack modes with mb, hit battering ram for 2x,3x etc multiplier, super jackpot... rinse repeat.

#16 7 years ago

I have a ST pro and love it.... GOT does nothing for me and will be buying a GB premium or pro but have not decided which yet

#17 7 years ago

STLE is one of my favorites, mainly because of the warp ramp, but it does lack hard in the rules breadth department. Here's my breakdown regarding the pro versions:

- theme integration: ST hands down.
- sounds: ST, the sound effects and variety of them are amazing.
- lightshow: very minimal slight edge to GOT, but an STLE hands down beats em both.
- call outs: hands down GOT. Some of the best custom speech by Rory McCann (the hound) in a pinball. The dude has a voice for pinball.
- speed: I give this one to GOT PRO. The warp ramp is fast and fun but all other shots on GOT out speed ST's
- flow: this is a wash. 2 of the best flowing pinballs around.
- rules: GOT hands down. Breadth > depth. Having quick objectives and decision making with quick game progression is much better than a game with very long modes.
- fun factor: warp ramp and Klingon multiball are very fun! But not nearly as fun as the super jackpots in blackwater mb, or diverse play of hand of the King, or fun of the WHC+BFW super stack, or multiple many different high scoring possibilities that GOT offers.
- overall thoughts. The diverse scoring potential in GOT mixed in with the fun super jackpots and multiball rules really push it over the top. GOT PRO is like a hybrid of acdc and ST; it's just missing the awesome sound effects and music those other two offer.

If fun factor, diversity, and multiple scoring strategies is what you like, Go GOT. If theme integration and sound euphoria is your thing, go ST.

EDIT: one thing I really dislike about ST PRO is the VUK and left outlane kickback (or lack there of). I'm a big pro convert, and really believe a lot of pros are better than their PREM/LE counterpart (value and gameplay wise), but I'd say ST is the exception. It's LE light show, VUK, and kickback really push the envelope of overall gameplay experience vs the pro.

#18 7 years ago

Alternatively, 2 or 3 solid "Non Top 10" Bally/Williams machines for the price of one NIB Stern.
None are poor machines in terms of design, but GB has yet to show its full potential.
If you cannot personally evaluate any of these titles, accepting the opinions of owners/enthusiasts/collectors is not the most effect means to purchase pinball machines.
Never buy on impulse, buy on your "gut feelings" after playing a game at least 10 or more times.
It saves money and time, prevents disappointment.

#19 7 years ago

ST would be last on the list if you like rules; the rule set for the modes to the game is not good at all and they feel like you are chopping wood for me it may actually be got out of three ghostbusters is great and has a ton of shots but really no flow to it and lots of ball stopping

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

- overall thoughts. The diverse scoring potential in GOT mixed in with the fun super jackpots and multiball rules really push it over the top. GOT PRO is like a hybrid of acdc and ST; it's just missing the awesome sound effects and music those other two offer. .

...and a great artwork.

#21 7 years ago

Another vote here for Star Trek pro.
I think what makes this game so special is how much Paramount cooperated with Stern with providing material for the game.
Its great to hear the real actors voices, the engine sounds, the warps noise and weapons fired. They are the real sounds from the movie.
I love the flow of the game and trying to get to the next level.
The pro model is so fully loaded that you don't mind not having one of the next two model up.

#22 7 years ago

How does everyone like playing all the same repetitive modes all the time in Star Trek ?

#23 7 years ago

ST>GB>GOT

#25 7 years ago

So two things stood out to me in your original post. Gameplay and flow. Like others have said, GB is out of the running since it is not a flow game at all. So it's down to ST and GOT.

Both have incredible flow and great gameplay. I give the nod to GOT in both departments though. Here's why:

Flow: GOT pro will literally play as fast as you want it to. I have yet to have an airball fly off an orbit or ramp in close to 2,000 games. ST pro will play as fast as you want too, however, there is no incentive to do so that I am aware of. Yes, it has a combo feature, but nothing like the GOT combo multipliers. GOT wants you to play balls to the wall and nonstop shooting, and if you make your shots while playing this way, you will be rewarded handsomely.

Gameplay:

I am no expert on ST rules (get with SKB), but I have made it through almost every mode on that game and I find the overall gameplay to be less than GOT. GOT's rule set I know like the back of my hand, so I might be a little bias, but I have way more fun advancing through a game of GOT than ST. GOT just makes you think a hell of a lot more IMO.

All I do during ST is advance towards Kobiashi Maru, and when it's lit, loop the warp ramp until I have double scoring, then start it. I haven't seen many other rewarding ways to attack the game. I have seen that some people attack the modes by beating all three versions of the mode before moving to the next one. That could be cool, but I've never done it.

GOT's gameplay changes for me each time I pick a different house. I have developed a different attack plan for almost every house in the game so that makes it really fun. I also will take different paths to the same end (IT wizard mode), as they present themselves based on my play. Kind of hard to explain so I hope this info helps.

Either way, you will like ST or GOT, but my vote is for GOT Pro.

#26 7 years ago

Got all the way

#27 7 years ago

this thread I started (only with TWD instead of ST since I already have ST)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-pro-v-gb-pro-v-got-pro

#28 7 years ago

in that order.

GOT, fast game, great call out. better theme integration and more choices.
ST Pro, smooth like butter and fast. warp ramp is a plus, unfortunately game play is repetitive.
GB, stop and go game (well, you have the left ramp), a few design flaws. the game looks gorgeous (PF and Cab) but that about it.

#29 7 years ago

Id put ST and GOT about equal, I like both they are fun to play, but both are pretty ugly games though that look and pretty cheap. So far GB is very good, fun and hard obviously its the looker of the bunch. Time will tell with code if its the better player, more stop and go which isnt a bad thing either.

Dont think you could go wrong with any of them.

#30 7 years ago

wow, thanks guys! That's a lot of information to process
One more thing....to get back to my sub-question, do you thing that SPIKE system should make a difference when deciding between ST and GoT?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

ST Pro was pretty fun for the short time I owned it. I did get a little bored with the rule set though. The warp ramp was an adrenaline rush.

I had the loan of a ST Pro for just 2 weeks. That was plenty for me - boy did it get old fast. Just felt like I was playing exactly the same mode over and over and over

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Temujin:

One more thing....to get back to my sub-question, do you thing that SPIKE system should make a difference when deciding between ST and GoT?

No I don't think the system that the game runs on should factor in your decision at all.

#33 7 years ago

ST
GOT

GB

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Temujin:

One thing I will mention *knock on wood * is GOT PRO has been the easiest game for me to maintain. For replacing rubbers, keeping pf clean, tuning & tweaking....very easy to work on. Now for long term reliability, I couldn't tell you - have only had mine 5 mos. but it's been great so far compared to working on my ST or other sterns for that matter.

#35 7 years ago

The individual modes in ST are not the focus in ST. If you are just focused on playing a few level 1 modes per game, I can see that getting old real fast. It's more about which modes you play to advance an award and earning medals. Do you risk going for a shot multiplier or play it safe and go for wizard modes? Fun to mix it up and setup high scoring shots with multipliers and away team modes. Vengeance modes also a lot of fun. Just a great game for those that like flow games with ramps and action gameplay.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The individual modes in ST are not the focus in ST. If you are just focused on playing a few level 1 modes per game, I can see that getting old real fast. It's more about which modes you play to advance an award and earning medals. Do you risk going for a shot multiplier or play it safe and go for wizard modes? Fun to mix it up and setup high scoring shots with multipliers and away team modes. Vengeance modes also a lot of fun. Just a great game for those that like flow games with ramps and action gameplay.

Nailed it. And speaking of vengeance modes; playing vengeance 2 for an extra ball is always an adrenalin rush. With only 2 available extra balls to earn in the game, getting the vengeance 2 one is critical and not always a gimmie. Vengeance 3 is great too as you have a chance to multiply your total score by 10%/20%/40% depending on how you play it.

ST really has a total package but only if you appreciate what the rules have to offer. If you can't see past the basic missions or strategy, then I don't see it doing much for a person - which surprisingly is a lot of people as its the biggest gripe people have on the game. But It really does have some deep strategies.

That said, I still prefer GOTs ruleset over ST and over many sterns for that matter. Reason being...simply put, TONS of scoring opportunities with little setup time needed.

#37 7 years ago

Tough call (between GOT and ST Pro) I've owned both. I had ST for over a year and really enjoyed it. I think the only reason I moved it was because I also own STTNG and only have 4 pins total. So I was looking for a little more variety in such a small collection.

I also love GOT. Everyone is different so for me it breaks down like this:

Flow - ST=GOT
Theme - ST>GOT
Music - ST>GOT
Rules - GOT>ST
Gameplay GOT>ST

In the end it's very, very close for me but I give the edge to GOT for having superior rules which leads to superior gameplay. Probably can't go wrong either way.

BTW - I've considered selling GOT for GB....but the more I've played GB the more that plan is on hold.

#38 7 years ago

That's a really tough call. The good news is, all three are fantastic games. ST is the most "code mature" game of the bunch, but GoT has been showing tons of great momentum lately. I need more time on GoT, but it has a really fun layout and the rules are fun.

Ghostbusters is a whole different beast from the other two. ST and GoT are very flowy games and have a more even score ramp. GB is a bit immature in its code progression (for now), it has less of a constant flow to it, and scoring is more of a grind until you hit certain moments when things can really open up for a bit. Right now it's a great game, but it's got some growing left to do.

The real answer is a long term one...get ST or GoT now, get GB down the line to compliment it.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The real answer is a long term one...get ST or GoT now, get GB down the line to compliment it.

Agree 1000%

#40 7 years ago

Got Pro for me but ST in a Pre and GB's in a year once all the code and fixes are complete.

#41 7 years ago

I'm going with GB, the game is in it's infancy that's for sure but I just can't stop playing it.
I have been making regular trips to the arcade where this is sited. It's worth the 2 hour round trip each time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-vs-got-vs-gb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.