Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by arzoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Howdy folks - having some trouble with the left cannon opto in our TNG, it's not registering when there's a ball loaded. We suspect it's the receiver and are looking for a way to test & determine this before replacing the part. We've confirmed that the emitter is doing its thing (used a cell phone camera to confirm that it's spitting out light), have tested the traces on both opto boards, tested pins on the backbox and those all look OK. Any suggestions of next steps or of how to narrow the issue down further would be most welcome. Thanks for your help!

1 week later
#2 8 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem - the left cannon GunShooter opto does not register on the switch edge test. Initially I thought it was the receiver opto because shining a light did not trigger the switch. I replaced the receiver opto (new) and that did not solve the problem. Next I checked the CPU board by shorting the matrix pins and that worked fine - so CPU is ok. That leaves the 16 Opto PCB. Interestingly, someone previously replaced the U4 LM339 (it's been socketed).

I also noticed on the opto PCB that some of the J5 wires (running to the CPU) passed close to the large C6 capacitor and when they touched the cap the switches would close. No sure if this caused damage to any of the LM339s?

Here's my question, would a bad LM339 cause a single opto to fail?

Also, is it possible to test the opto receiver by jumping the two leads - would that simulate the switch?

#3 8 years ago

Get a flashlight and shine it into the receiver and see if it registers.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Get a flashlight and shine it into the receiver and see if it registers.

I had tried that but nothing.

I actually figured out my problem (mostly). The original issue was that the left cannon would randomly rotate. I assumed this was an issue with a short in the harness so I ordered a new one. After wiring in the new harness the opto stopped working completely. Next I replaced the opto but still nothing. Turned out the harness I purchase had been wired incorrectly - gray and black opto wires (12v and gnd I think) were reversed! After swapping those wires the opto started working again. But now I'm back to the intermittent cannon rotation. Grrrrr.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-tng-left-cannon-opto-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.