• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I put a list of features together for features on a pro vs prem.
It actually seemed somewhat of a good deal to go with the prem for all the features you get.
Although nothing really impacts gameplay, which might be a reason to just get a pro.

If I kept it for a year or more, I speculated what I could sell it for as well. Its not an investment I know, but its part of Im not throwing money down the tubes either.

Pro, buy at around 4550. Sell maybe around 4200, 350$ loss.
Prem, buy at around 6250. Sell maybe around 5700, 550$ loss.

Seems like people love their game. But no input on the prem yet.

#2 10 years ago

I don't think premiums have hit the street yet...but still, $1700 for basically a kickback, lighting, VUK, and star field projector (LOL)? No thanks.

#3 10 years ago

Go Refinery edition ST Pro. The VUK is useless and the starfield projector isn't as good as the refinery's lit apron tied into gameplay IMO. You do get the 60 colour changing LED inserts on the Premium though and although it's not that spectacular now I have a feeling with new updates they will make it amazing. I would still go Refinery Pro though.

#4 10 years ago

I was going to buy the ST Pro for $4550 until I saw the LE.
Man, what a different pin that is. But its $8200!
WHAT?
Sorry Stern, I am not going to give you almost double the price for a few added features.

#5 10 years ago

Pro. All day, and twice on Sunday. Save the $$ for your next pin (or just buy a nice B/C title).

Later,
EV

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Go Refinery edition ST Pro. The VUK is useless and the starfield projector isn't as good as the refinery's lit apron tied into gameplay IMO. You do get the 60 colour changing LED inserts on the Premium though and although it's not that spectacular now I have a feeling with new updates they will make it amazing. I would still go Refinery Pro though.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Have you played an LE yet?

#7 10 years ago

» YouTube video
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Not even close. Premium.

#8 10 years ago

For about 2K more I decided the Premium was not worth it to me. Stock Pro shipped are around $4500 and Stock Premium shipped are around $6500. I was set to go Premium but then they changed the VUK and it no longer would kick ball around warp ramp. Actual physical gameplay differences between the two models is very small with the addition of the VUK. I like the cab and backglass art on the Pro better than the Premium after deciding on a Refinery Pro I am very happy with my decision.

That said, the Premium looks pretty cool to and you get extra features like the basic VUK and many more color changing lights so I can see why some would think the additional $2,000 is worth it.

#9 10 years ago

I agree the Pro is a great bang for your buck, but this is my first NIB, so I'm going all out. The LE's will be gone by the time I'm ready to buy, so Premium it is.

Plus by then, the Premium's will be built better, as they will have a lot of the kinks worked out. Benefits of going last.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Keebler:

Have you played an LE yet?

No I haven't played one yet, I am sure it is mind blowing though. I have watched a lot of videos on it though. I love the pulsating red in the apron of the Refinery edition.

#11 10 years ago

Refinery does nothing for me.

#12 10 years ago

No I haven't played one yet, I am sure it is mind blowing though. I have watched a lot of videos on it though. I love the pulsating red in the apron of the Refinery edition.

You can put that on a Premium. There's nothing that Refinery does that can't be added to a Premium...but you can't add Premium features to a Pro.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can put that on a Premium. There's nothing that Refinery does that can't be added to a Premium...but you can't add Premium features to a Pro.

This is true but the pro is cheaper. So if you like the Premium extras you might as well buy an LE for the extra dough the Refinery add on's will cost.

#14 10 years ago

Hey they are both good games, but they do play a bit differently. The VUK does make a difference in the game if you are a good player, the kickback increases ball times dramatically and allows you to go deeper into the game. Also the return lane will always return your ball to the left flipper nicely for the next shot with again makes the gameplay a little different from the pro. The colour changing LED's, the violent action of vengence, the extra toys... You can go wrong with either purchase IMO... I went LE, premium is a good choice without the bling, bling, Pro is also a good option if you are strapped for cash, can't go wrong here with this machine!!!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Does the premium apron have cut outs in it like the refinery mod? The premium has the "shields" indicators on the apron but I don't know if the triangular areas under them are cut out or solid.

Also does anyone know if the shield indicators on the apron are individaully addressable (ie turn on 1, 2, or 3, etc segments on at a time) or are they all just on or all off?

I saw some pics someone had showing the projector mechanism with the apron removed and it looked like there wasn't an RGB LED under the apron for each segment. It looks like it might just have a couple RGB LEDs that would light all the segments on or off together as one.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Does the premium apron have cut outs in it like the refinery mod? The premium has the "shields" indicators on the apron but I don't know if the triangular areas under them are cut out or solid.

As far I know The triangle inserts on the Premium and LE are just solid and do not light up at all. Only the little shield inserts do, but I could be wrong.

#17 10 years ago

As far I know The triangle inserts on the Premium and LE are just solid and do not light up at all. Only the little shield inserts do, but I could be wrong.

I was guessing the triangular part was solid because with the other rectualr shield cut outs it might be too flimsy if the triangular area was cut out as well.

Anyone see how the apron lights on the LE are used during gameplay? Do they serve any function?

I think the cutouts were added last minute to compensate for the VUK changes. If you look at the initial playfield pics they weren't there originally. If it was a last minute addition then maybe they haven't had time to do much with them programming wise yet.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think the cutouts were added last minute to compensate for the VUK changes. If you look at the initial playfield pics they weren't there originally. If it was a last minute addition then maybe they haven't had time to do much with them programming wise yet.

I haven't seen them do anything during the game yet just in attract mode. Someone in another thread said they do lite up during one of the mini wizard modes but I haven't got that far so I haven't seen it.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from mpatricksp:

I haven't seen them do anything during the game yet just in attract mode. Someone in another thread said they do lite up during one of the mini wizard modes but I haven't got that far so I haven't seen it.

If you have an LE (and assuming you can stop playing it for a few minutes in the next couple of days) can you verify if the apron does or does not have cutouts in the trangular area? Also if there is an individual LED for each each of the smaller rectangular cut outs or is it just a couple LEDs that light all of the segments as a whole.

I'm still on the fence regaridng pro vs prem. I like the light up apron that refinery offers but if the premium light up segments are more interactive with the gameplay that would be another plus for the premium.

I heard the premiums start shipping next week?

#20 10 years ago

I'll get a picture of the apron tonight and get it posted. Not sure about under it as think I would have to take it off to see what the lites are under it but I'll try to determine in atract mode if it looks like each cutout lites on it's own.

#21 10 years ago

Feature differences Pro vs Prem

kickback
lightshow
multi colored insert leds
multi colored GI
vuk
metal service rails
Enterprise model
wireframe ramps
lockdown bar
powdercoated lower arch
ship crash effect
asteroids
Double clearcoat
Different look

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

If you have an LE (and assuming you can stop playing it for a few minutes in the next couple of days) can you verify if the apron does or does not have cutouts in the trangular area? Also if there is an individual LED for each each of the smaller rectangular cut outs or is it just a couple LEDs that light all of the segments as a whole.
I'm still on the fence regaridng pro vs prem. I like the light up apron that refinery offers but if the premium light up segments are more interactive with the gameplay that would be another plus for the premium.
I heard the premiums start shipping next week?

At this point the refinery apron is more interactive with gameplay.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from huo:

Double clearcoat

I know we've gone back and forth a few times on this - but Stern hasn't listed Extra Clear as a feature since Avatar LE. I'm really not sure the clear process is any different between all versions. All of the Prem/LE's I've seen have dimpled/worn same as Pros & require the same mylar/Cliffy/etc protection.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from huo:

kickback
lightshow
multi colored insert leds
multi colored GI
vuk
metal service rails
Enterprise model
wireframe ramps
lockdown bar
powdercoated lower arch
ship crash effect
asteroids
Double clearcoat
Different look

The double clear, colour changing inserts and kickback are the best differences out of this comparison the toys (Enterprise and asteroids) can be bought and added to the Pro for VERY cheap. But I might go Premium just for the extra clear alone if it has it, I don't know if the extra clear was only an LE thing?

#25 10 years ago

Here is the apron, not sure if it answers you question or not. I didn't see them lite individually but they do change colors.

photo 1.jpgphoto 1.jpg photo 2.jpgphoto 2.jpg
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I know we've gone back and forth a few times on this - but Stern hasn't listed Extra Clear as a feature since Avatar LE. I'm really not sure the clear process is any different between all versions. All of the Prem/LE's I've seen have dimpled/worn same as Pros & require the same mylar/Cliffy/etc protection.

I did call 800-kickers at one point and asked about this. They did confirm premiums and le's have double clear coat.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I did call 800-kickers at one point and asked about this. They did confirm premiums and le's have double clear coat.

Sometimes I wonder if they totally know what's going on in that regard ...

Just seems like that's a very good extra to put in the marketing materials - to make people feel like they're getting a bit more for their money - but they don't mention it. Hmmmm.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just seems like that's a very good extra to put in the marketing materials - to make people feel like they're getting a bit more for their money - but they don't mention it. Hmmmm.

Yeah, they should mention it for sure...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-pro-vs-prem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.