Topic poll

“Which is the better Stern Pro model”

• AC/DC 17 votes
    30%
  • Star Trek 39 votes
    70%

(56 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

I have finally narrowed my search down to a NIB Stern pinball. As most will see from my earlier posts I was quite confused about what to buy for my first pin. I have decided on AC/DC Pro or Star Trek Pro. I really want the AC/DC Premium but just cannot justify that kind of money for my first pin. Spending 7K for my first pin concerns me in case the novelty of it wears off.

Which is the better Pro model? Lighting, call outs, gameplay, resale, etc.

#2 10 years ago

You can find it for 6k if that makes a difference for you.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Yes unfortunately by the time I bring it from the USA at 6k I am over 7 with the dollar exchange, shipping and customs brokerage.

#5 10 years ago

The Star Trek Pro is just as fast and intense as AC/DC. My one recommendation would be to add a shaker motor to the ST Pro. It really completes the experience! The lighting and sounds are awesome. My only complaint with ST is the warp ramp shot. The game is so fast that if you miss the shot the ball often bounces wildly. So far no damage or issues as a result, just feels a bit clunky. You'll have a blast either way - you can't lose. Both great fun!!

#6 10 years ago

ST is way better! Ac/DC is good but you will tire of the music unless you are a huge fan. ST is just BAD ASS! Fast and in your face fun

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

You'll have a blast either way - you can't lose. Both great fun!!

Yep. I give a slight edge to AC/DC for gameplay, but you really can't go wrong with either.

AC/DC has about a zillion different choices for strategy. ST has more flow than Niagara Falls. Pick your poison.

#8 10 years ago

IMHO Star Trek is a better Pro than AC/DC, if you're doing the straight Pro to Pro comparison. It's way more full featured compared to the Premium/LE. They're really not very similar games though, so take that out of the equation and buy the one you want to play more.

Buying a pin based on what holds value or whatever isn't the way to go, buy the one you want. AC/DC Pro is still an awesome game. Used ones have sold here for at cheap at $3600, doubtful they're gonna be worth north of $4k any time soon. Star Trek is newer so at least for now will probably be worth more. 6 months from now that could all change.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

Who has NIB ac/dc premiums for 6k? Maybe a Stern plant pick up price?

#10 10 years ago

Don't buy either too much money.. Just buy a T2 instead of AC/DC...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Don't buy either too much money.. Just buy a T2 instead of AC/DC...

Why do you suggest T2 instead of either AC/DC or Star Trek? Other than for the cost factor?

#12 10 years ago

Metallica pro!!!

#13 10 years ago

AC/DC is pretty much the same game. Both have dual ramps and a cannon on the right side. I was playing Metallica tonight and thinking the same thing too, very similar to T2 except they are missing the best part of the game the cannon. Just buy a T2 and play AC/DC music in the background..

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Everyone just copy's the dual ramps that were originally on T2

So, you mean Steve Ritchie copied Steve Ritchie? They do have the same name, that bastard!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

Why do you suggest T2 instead of either AC/DC or Star Trek?

Because he's trolling about AC/DC using the T2 layout (same designer), they're not remotely the same game, just ignore it.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

So, you mean Steve Ritchie copied Steve Ritchie? They do have the same name, that bastard!

Yes, Steve Richie just copy's his old stuff on a newer game.. I was actually referring to Metallica's dual ramps..

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

It is a master copier who not only copies the layout but also the name. Steve Ritchie, if that is your name, you are devious!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

I was playing Metallica tonight and thinking the same thing too, very similar to T2...

Now that you mention it, pretty much every game with a fan layout and an Italian bottom is like T2. This is an outrage!

Quoted from violinfather:

Why do you suggest T2 instead of either AC/DC or Star Trek? Other than for the cost factor?

ST is miles ahead of T2. Also, if this will be your first game, I don't recommend buying a 22 year old game. Restored or otherwise. Learn to do maintenance and repairs on a new machine (if you have the means), then take on an older game when you have more experience.

#19 10 years ago

As someone who has both pros:

I find ACDC pretty ugly to look at, even kind of cheap looking. The LED lighting on ST and general color scheme is awesome for a pro. Even the ship on ST beats the hell out of the plastic non-moving bell on ACDC. I love the warp ramp shot on ST. The "modes" on ST feel a bit more weighty to me.

But the funny thing is, if I could only keep one, it might be ACDC. I never get tired of playing it, because you are always just 10 minutes away from racking up a huge score if you take your chances and don't blow it - I guess it feels like gambling almost. So it wins on gameplay for me, which I guess is the most important thing to me.

In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either, they are both really good games.

#20 10 years ago

Hey,

I'm going to float this out to you. I have only played the AC/DC Premium, which I like a lot, and not the pro. I've also played a Star Trek Pro. I didn't have any problems with it, either, but obviously the premium package on the AC/DC has more to offer. For me, what right now leans me toward AC/DC is that the code is effectively complete, whereas Star Trek isn't. With Stern's newer games, you have to decide if you're willing to spend about $5,000 Canadian on a game where all the features aren't yet enabled. It's why I've sat on my hands regarding Metallica a bit. If you look back across the forum, you'll notice they aren't exactly fast to get code released once a game is out (last update for Metallica was in August). If you're okay with that, then it's somewhat a matter of deciding which theme you like more. If you're not, then buy AC/DC.

Luke

#21 10 years ago

Get ST Pro and AC/DC Premium.

#22 10 years ago

i have both.
ac/dc rules is more complex, very fast pin.
star trek pro is a fast and easy to understand pin and best bang for the buck.

plat both and make a choice.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

Get ST Pro and AC/DC Premium

That is what I did

#24 10 years ago

I had a premium AC/DC and loved it, trade it for a TRON with cash. Bought an AC/DC Pro and love it. While some of the premium features are cool, you're paying a lot of money for ''cool'' and I find the Pro version to honestly be just as fun for a lot less money. I added the captive ball bell, and this has made a huge difference. I love slamming that shot now, it feels solid. Plus there is room for leds and mods, if need be.

The core of the rules/gameplay is the same, and that is what is most important. It feels very polished rules wise and it is deep and complex. So many different ways to score and much of it becomes how much are you willing to lose? More often than not, you will find yourself getting greedy, and you'll blow your whole song jackpot when you drain. Other times, when it's all working, and you get a 2x or 3x playfield multiplier going and your jackpot is hefty and staring you in the face and you NAIL IT FOR HUGE POINTS, it's a stupid awesome feeling.

ST pro is an awesome game too. Very smooth and fun, but the rules and coding just isn't on par yet with AC/DC. Not much really is, it has a pretty unique rule set.

#25 10 years ago

I like the ST theme a lot more...

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I added the captive ball bell, and this has made a huge difference.

I'd love to play with one of those, the "real" bell is the only part of the Premium that I really like more. Well the drop targets too I guess. Lower playfield and diverter are eh.

1 week later
#27 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Copied his layout AND his name?!

That's straight player hating.

#28 10 years ago

Just a thought on possibly saving $$. Edmonton has a playdium. If you could possibly find out where their games come from. eg. Playdium store toronto. They may be able to ship a pin there on their next shipment of sterns. Then you could get either pro for around $5400 even taxes included.

#29 10 years ago

I would recommend finding the pins and playing each if possible before dropping cash on one. Just by playing them yourself will likely help you make a decision that you won't regret.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-pro-versus-acdc-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.