• Latest reply 9 years ago by c2scanada
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

For those of you who have both in their collection-which is the keeper? I haven't had the chance to play either but I'm interested in both titles. I think ST just had a code update and TWD has not yet. Tell me what you think. Thanks-Joe

#2 9 years ago

ST has wider appeal but there are those that really love the TWD theme. ST is in the top 20 in the rankings. TWD a little further down. That's pretty much the sum of it all.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's pretty much the sum of it all.

One has "finished" code, and one doesn't. That's really the sum of it all for me. Support the games that are coded.

#4 9 years ago

Hey Joe....I've owned both since they each came out NIB. Star Trek is longer-playing and a bit more flowing. It is definitely the more controllable game of the two. The new code makes the game much better as there are more rewards for playing thru each mode. The side ramp is fun to loop over and over and the game has combos galore.

Walking Dead has pretty solid code already and should improve with another update. It has less-controlled play due to primary shots without safe returns (drop targets, well walker, prison, bicycle girl (on LE only)). Multiball stacking is good on TWD, and essential to big scores. The modes can be quite lucrative too. The game has some good flow via the loops and ramps but forces you to make more saves due to the other critical shots. Shorter ball-times on TWD.

This is very close to me but I'll give the edge to TWD, especially knowing more code is on the way. I prefer the "LE" version of both over the pro. If you've played some of the older Sterns, I'd compare ST to Spiderman and TWD to Iron Man.

Joe

#5 9 years ago

I own both. There's no getting around that TWD is unfinished in a big way. Part of the normal release cycle, and we know Lyman is working on it and he rarely disappoints. But today STLE is a tremendous machine.

#6 9 years ago

Hard to judge twd until it's finished. I like it but will not keep if it does not improve a great deal.

#7 9 years ago

I have both and prefer STLE. TWDLE Really needs code IMO. It needs to feel more visceral and deadly. The layout is cool, so I have hope. I think code update is probably not far off.

#8 9 years ago

I have both as well. I liked STLE more before the code update and I really like it more with 1.61. Maybe TWDLE will be more refined with code but STLE is the better shooting game IMO.

#9 9 years ago

I like both games, but it has to be STLE by a mile. Both have great themes, but TWD doesn't utilize it's theme very well and TWDLE is not a great game as it sits. I like the Pro much better as a playing game and that is the general consensus of the players here as well. The left ramp on the LE is terrible and the added LE features of a drop target and spinners for Woodbury are worthless as they stand. The crossbow is heavily under utilized and I could give or take the well walker magnet. Either way, Pro or LE, TWD needs a code update badly anyway, it's missing the two main goals of the game.

STLE just got a great code update and it is really fun to play. It can be a longer playing game with harder to achieve goals that now rewards you when you shoot well. They really did a great job with the last update, hopefully they put that much attention into TWD in the near future too.

#10 9 years ago

I own both, STLE with the latest update is superior. TWDLE with a good code update may be equal.
The LE on both of these is far better than the pro.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like both are solid. I love both themes. I'll go and play both before purchase and hope for a TWD update for all you owners!

#12 9 years ago

Never played TWD, do have a ST Pro and MET Pro (which Lyman programmed). Lyman knocked it out of the park with MET (how long did that take, about a year?), I would suspect that he will eventually do a great job with TWD.

#13 9 years ago

I sold my star trek pro for a twd pro. Have no regret at all
For star trek the LE is of course a lot better than the pro due to the multicolored inserts. But on the walking dead you have to work to score big. Star trek is easier I feel regarding shots.

The Horde is coming that's for sure

#14 9 years ago

STLE . But if the voice overs were better for The Walking Dead it would have caught my attention. I know you can replace the sound for pinball if you are computer savvy . I am not. So STLE gets my vote. Good luck.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like both are solid. I love both themes. I'll go and play both before purchase and hope for a TWD update for all you owners

This is the best plan for sure .

#16 9 years ago

I enjoy playing star trek a lot more

#17 9 years ago

I feel the walking dead just looks ugly, every toy is a different scale, theres a giant head inside a prison, the well walker is not very well sculpted (nor is anything else in it), seems like a very bad use of the property. It also has a photoshop feel tha is unappealing. I know it would never have happened but...I wish they had gone with the Image comics version like they did with Xmen, and kept it black and white like centaur with blood being the only color.

Star Trek LE on the other hand is a work of art, the light show in unmatched by any game, and the translight and armor is gorgeous. Playfield is simple but classy.Sound by Ben Burtt who is the master of sci fi sound

#18 9 years ago

I have strictly played the LE versions of both and much prefer ST over TWD for its free flow, light show, sound, and artwork. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the Walking Dead theme, but I don't care for the feeling I get of its playfield being overcrowded either.

#19 9 years ago

STLE, not even close.

#20 9 years ago

TWD with new code should rival ST easily. It has a much different layout and harder shots.....Wanted to like ST, but too much like AFM, a game in which I always thought was way overrated.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

I haven't had the chance to play either but I'm interested in both titles.

Buying the "wrong" NIB LE is going to cost you $1000 or more when reselling it. So I urge you to find those two pins on location before deciding (Pro versions will be enough to decide if you like the game flow or not). You won't regret the quarters spent that way...

Having said that, my clear preference is for ST (pro) over TWD (pro). Great flow and mature code.
Never saw STLE - but looks beautiful on videos.
Saw TWD LE, but could not play it, looks better than the Pro.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Buying the "wrong" NIB LE is going to cost you $1000 or more when reselling it.

Haha at "Buying a NIB STLE" as I don't think those haven't been avaiable at msrp since its release.

#23 9 years ago

I prefer STLE over TWDLE. STLE has a main interactive toy that does several things and is fun to shoot at. While I'm fine with the prison bash head toy on TWD Pro I think Stern should have made a more elaborate main toy on the LE model considering its price. The prison area on the LE takes up so much space yet does very little versus the ship area in ST LE that does a bunch of things. To be fair the TWDLE does have several other areas with toys (the well walker, drop targets, mechanical ramp) that I think make up for the prison area.

The crossbow toy is pretty cool too on TWDLE. Like others have said the game just really needs a big update to give it a more complete and polished feel.

#24 9 years ago

Have you given any thought to getting the Pro versions of both? You could almost do that for the price of a NIB LE (I am sure you would have to put in some money but you would have 2 pinball machines to play)

I played Star Trek LE exclusively and fell in love with it on location. I got a pro due to financial reasons and was worried I would regret it and have a bunch of "I wish I would have got the LE" but with over 200 games in I honestly haven't missed the LE at all. I don't really miss the extra playfield stuff and once you add a shaker motor it is awesome (get the Cointaker one, it is perfect). I have played Walking Dead LE and Pro and feel the same way. I really don't care for the Crossbow (it honestly ruins the flow of the game and just isn't fun) and the bicycle ramp bash toy just doesn't do it for me either.

They are both awesome games but if you had to pick between the 2 go for the Star Trek. Its an amazing experience, great new code, great shots, great light show (even with the Pro). Its just a fun game that you always want to play one more game of.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

...toy....prison bash head toy...main toy...areas with toys...crossbow toy

There's the Panzer we know and love! 5 "toys" in that post.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I have both as well. I liked STLE more before the code update and I really like it more with 1.61. Maybe TWDLE will be more refined with code but STLE is the better shooting game IMO.

Definitely agree that STLE is the better shooting game.

To me it would be a hard decision. Still not sure I like the layout on TWD, but the LE doesn't seem to have the SDTM drains from the pops at least, and *when* Lyman is done with the code I have little doubt that the rules will be better than ST. I am not, and never will be, a fan of the 18 modes/missions on ST.

So it would be the better layout (ST) vs the pin that will probably wind up with better rules (TWD).

Theme wise, that is also a close one, but zombies/TWD is my top theme. Then again, TWD's theme is not integrated particularly well (will the pin get some improvement in the call outs?). Music on TWD is great, and the dots are probably the best I've seen.

Bottom line: close call, but if you get TWD you'd need to know you will have to have some patience in terms of code being completed.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

One has "finished" code, and one doesn't. That's really the sum of it all for me. Support the games that are coded.

I own both. Both are awesome. TWDLE has that special sumpin' though.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Definitely agree that STLE is the better shooting game.
To me it would be a hard decision. Still not sure I like the layout on TWD, but the LE doesn't seem to have the SDTM drains from the pops at least, and *when* Lyman is done with the code I have little doubt that the rules will be better than ST. I am not, and never will be, a fan of the 18 modes/missions on ST.
So it would be the better layout (ST) vs the pin that will probably wind up with better rules (TWD).
Theme wise, that is also a close one, but zombies/TWD is my top theme. Then again, TWD's theme is not integrated particularly well (will the pin get some improvement in the call outs?). Music on TWD is great, and the dots are probably the best I've seen.
Bottom line: close call, but if you get TWD you'd need to know you will have to have some patience in terms of code being completed.

Aww C'MON ROB! Just buy TWDLE!!! C'mon man!

You've been kicking this can long enough!!

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Aww C'MON ROB! Just buy TWDLE!!! C'mon man!
You've been kicking this can long enough!!

Heh. Can't argue you with there!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

There's the Panzer we know and love! 5 "toys" in that post.

The types of toys in a pin are a big the reason why people are willing to drop $8k on them so yeah I'm going to bring the topic up, lol.

Only 5 toys? Your lucky I wasn't talking about WOZ...would be more

#31 9 years ago

Lyman on TWD......enough said.....

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well, you can and you will, but it's all good.

Dude.

Bro.

I'm still rockin this pin months later. Even without last man standing and horde modes finished yet. ( probably cuz I suck).

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TRUTH!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The types of toys in a pin are a big the reason why people are willing to drop $8k on them so yeah I'm going to bring the topic up, lol.

Not neccassarily. Look at Tron. Some pin PF designs just have that lightning in a bottle thing going on. Borgie happened to catch it twice.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Couldn't agree more. It seems all they did with ST code is throw more points at you but everything seems pretty much the same. Mini wizard modes are predictable and quite boring. Don't have a ton of time on TWD but I'd bet on Lyman to give us great code on a theme I prefer much more over ST. Pretty much committed to buying a TWD premium in the next week or so.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Not neccassarily. Look at Tron. Some pin PF designs just have that lightning in a bottle thing going on. Borgie happened to catch it twice.

I hear ya but Tron pro wasn't $8k when it was released. Heck the LE model wasn't even near $8k at the time. Today a non modded mint Tron pro is what in the $5-$5.5k range ? Would people pay $8k for a remake? No. A game can be super fun but at some point the high prices of NIB pins need to be backed up by features to justify the cost. There is a lot of criticism against Whoa Nellie due to the games high price and what you get for the money.

I think I would feel more comfortable with Stern's higher prices if they released code updates more frequently and put color DMD's in their games. They are making some awesome games but people shouldn't be waiting 6+ months for a code update.

As far as TWDLE and STLE goes I think they are both awesome pins and if I had more room in my basement I would love to have either one. I noticed you own both and some other great pins. Very nice collection!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

When you get ready Rob, let me know. I have a pretty sweet version that Pinball Refinery put together for me.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

When you get ready Rob, let me know. I have a pretty sweet version that Pinball Refinery put together for me.

I will literally die if Rob is not ready.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yep, IM and MET!

#41 9 years ago

lol!

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Lots of examples of pins without a bunch of toys being incredible pins. I'd put AFM on that list as well.

Quoted from underlord:

I will literally die if Rob is not ready.

Promise?

#43 9 years ago

I'd buy it, that'd be the beat theme that hasn't het been done.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd buy it, that'd be the beat theme that hasn't het been done.

I'm kinda surprised no one has made one yet. It looks like a Pixar themed pin has never been made.

#45 9 years ago

You said it, first time I played IM it was also the first time I'd ever seen it, Met pro, AcDc premium, and TFLE. Literally the first time I'd seen any of them, and my wife was waiting in the car so I only had like an hour, at first I didn't seem to think IM was anythig special. But after owning it I can say it stacks up with any of my games as far as gameplay and probably better than most. Funny I view Tron and IM as my two favorites.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Lots of examples of pins without a bunch of toys being incredible pins. I'd put AFM on that list as well.

Promise?

Rob you are in the legal profession, are you not? I will sue you if you make me die. And with today's law structure, it's possible!!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Rob you are in the legal profession, are you not? I will sue you if you make me die. And with today's law structure, it's possible!!

Common law says the dead have no rights!

#48 9 years ago

I have both games twd is a super challenge makes u a better player imo

#49 9 years ago

STLE with the updated code

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 8.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-le-vs-twd-le-input-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.