ST LE - Launches 2 balls on each new ball

By Bobby

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a ST LE that has developed an issue. Upon start up of each ball, 2 balls are being kicked out 80-90% of the time. It loads one and then a second later loads a 2nd into shooter lane. I have checked/insured the switch in the launch lane is being engaged (it knows a ball is there). I have checked diagnostics for ball trough - it shows 4 balls in the trough, then when 1 loads it shows 3 in trough and 1 in lane. Even with this, it still kicks out 2 balls most of the time. Game calls for 4 balls and 4 balls are loaded in machine.

While HUO, I am not the original owner and acquired this a few weeks ago. I made only minor changes on settings. Suggestions to fix or should I try a factory reset or look for an opto problem or ????

Thanks!
Bob

#2 8 years ago

that happened with mine when it was relatively still new. I troubleshooted a few things and then the problem went away, not really sure what the issue was - wish I had an answer for your, but Im going to follow this thread to see what the solution is.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

that happened with mine when it was relatively still new. I troubleshooted a few things and then the problem went away, not really sure what the issue was - wish I had an answer for your, but Im going to follow this thread to see what the solution is.

LOL, I had a similar issue and can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it as it was a while back, other than I think it was a loose connector under the playfied that was making intermittent contact.

#4 8 years ago

Had similar issue with my AC/DC. Try re-seating the plugs to the ball trough...

#5 8 years ago

reflow the solder on the optics

also check if the switch in the trough is registering when the first ball hits it. use the ball not your finger to test the switch.

ive had this issue before and one or both of these two things fixed it

#6 8 years ago

The IDC connectors on each side of the ball trough are notorious for coming loose. One operator told me he zip ties those connectors in place. Could be an intermittent connection caused by vibration when the first ball is kicked out?

#7 8 years ago

Not that this helps, but did see the Mustang pin owned by Ford themselves at an autoshow was launching two balls at the same time as well.

#8 8 years ago

More than likely the Plugs on your ball trough optos. Especially if you have a shaker. With the game off, unplug and plug them back in. One on front board of the ball trough, one on the back of the ball trough. You can get to them easily through the coin door.

ST is notorious for these plugs coming loose. Or intermittant contact. So much that the design was changed after ST on all future titles.

If that doesn't fix it go into switch test and test the trough switches to see if an opto is out.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Not that this helps, but did see the Mustang pin owned by Ford themselves at an autoshow was launching two balls at the same time as well.

Yeah I had to reflow the solder of the ball trough opto on my NIB Mustang LE. I think it was the one that detected the ball just before kicking it out.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks, I'll give those ideas a try. Much appreciated!!

#11 8 years ago

I had that on Avengers & a wire was broken under the shooter lane switch.

#12 8 years ago

FIXED - while I did find opto connectors a little loose, the culprit was a screw in the ball trough near the ball kick out coil. Like I said, I am not the first owner so no telling how long it has been there or where it came from.

I appreciate all of the suggestions!
Bob

#13 8 years ago

That will do it. I've found all kinds of junk in the ball trough. Bulbs, screws, drop target chunks, etc.

I hate it when you have the playfield tipped up and you drop a screw and it goes to the back of the playfield and you can't find it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-le-launches-2-balls-on-each-new-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.