image-765.jpg
image-644.jpg
image-985.jpg
image.jpg
Star Trek.jpg
sttflip.jpg
flipper_button.jpg
image.jpg
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I would agree that the Pro gameplay is 99.99% the same as the LE but I wouldn't say the VUK is the difference, it's actually no difference at all. It returns the ball to the exact place the scoop eject does anyway, it doesn't even need to be there. The one and only one gameplay difference on the LE is the kickback, that's it. So not a big gameplay difference at all on the LE, nothing like the difference between the pro and LE models of AC/DC or Xmen. If you have an expendable 3k then go LE because it is a beautiful machine but the pinball refinery can make your Pro have a lightshow that rivals the LE for sure and you'll still be putting 2k in your pocket.</blockquote

Yes, this lack of any real gameplay difference does make one pause. One kickback and a VUK isn't much to talk about, though the VUK is cool in the way that it works. I am a huge Star Trek fan so I like the additional lighting features, shaker, and cosmetics. I don't think it is worth $3k more, that is for sure.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wrong. They can't make all the inserts color-change. How much is the Refinery bling package anyway? I have to imagine after spending that extra money to pimp a Pro you could have just bought a Premium.

Yes I forgot about the inserts, you're right there. And you are also right about with the refinery package the Pro would be the same price as the Premium but the lightshow on a Refinery edition would be better then the Premium version IMO, with it's lit siderails and backbox kit, awesome.

#103 10 years ago

Yes I forgot about the inserts, you're right there. And you are also right about with the refinery package the Pro would be the same price as the Premium but the lightshow on a Refinery edition would be way better then the Premium version with it's lit siderails and backbox kit, awesome.

No, remember - the Premium playfield is the same as the LE - therefore, it also has full color changing inserts. Refinery cannot duplicate this.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No, remember - the Premium playfield is the same as the LE - therefore, it also has full color changing inserts. Refinery cannot duplicate this.

Yes this is true. Well I hope they eventually do something cool with the colour changing inserts, that would be awesome!

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have to imagine after spending that extra money to pimp a Pro you could have just bought a Premium.

When I purchased Met from them, I specifically asked if he thought I would be better off just buying a Stock Prem vs Met Pro Refinery. He said I would be happier with the Refinery. I am.

Well, I would be REALLY happy if it had more than about 5 things to do!

#106 10 years ago

At work still and feel like a little kid that can't wait to get home to play it some more! Addicting is an understatement. Literally thinking about it today.

#107 10 years ago

So far, I think my fav mode is Klingon Battle, 2nd stage.
Each time you hit a ramp, the corresponding Klingon gets shot on the DMD.
In my opinion, it's this kind of tie-in that needs to be implemented in all the modes.
Of course, it might already be there. I can't really afford to spend much time looking up when playing.
: (

#108 10 years ago

I agree the modes hopefully will get a little more. Compared to more recent releases it's pretty good already though.

#109 10 years ago

The code is great given it's Day 1. If they never updated it, it would be considered "complete" from everything I've seen.
That being said, this pin should go from Great to Incredible with a code update that improves the modes.

#110 10 years ago

Wow! What happened to this thread? CG & Chambahz - enjoy the heck out of your games!

#111 10 years ago

I am. The bones in this game are fantastic. -and that's not something you can improve with code.
Still, if others have played it and aren't blown away, I expect it's modes that play too much alike. And I expect even that will be fixed with time.

#112 10 years ago

I couldn't see how playing this game would leave someone thinking it was not that great. It has EVERYTHING we've been begging for during the past few years. I dont even care for Star Trek but this game is cool. We'll see how I feel a couple weeks from now but so far Extremely good.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I couldn't see how playing this game would leave someone thinking it was not that great. It has EVERYTHING we've been begging for during the past few years. I dont even care for Star Trek but this game is cool. We'll see how I feel a couple weeks from now but so far Extremely good.

You have ST glasses on for sure rose tinted too(JK)
ST Glasses.jpgST Glasses.jpg

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

It has EVERYTHING we've been begging for during the past few years. .

We were begging for higher prices and less mechanical features?

Srsly I agree that the game is fun...but there's a legit reason people have been skeptical.

#115 10 years ago

BTW...for ST LE or for sure Pro buyers check out this Cyber Monday deal

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1200/?pfm=CyberMonday2013_Favorites_9_1200

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

BTW...for ST LE or for sure Pro buyers check out this Cyber Monday deal
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1200/?pfm=CyberMonday2013_Favorites_9_1200

"Beware of imitators! Cheap knock-offs don't include a special circuit to prevent burn-out, without which your projector could die after just a few hours of use!"

-Guess we'll see how much Stern spent on these in a week or two.
; )

#117 10 years ago

Yes this is true. Well I hope they eventually do something cool with the colour changing inserts, that would be awesome!

How exactly are you expecting them to mod the color changers on a Pro?

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

How exactly are you expecting them to mod the color changers on a Pro?

Not expecting anyone to do that for the Pro, I know it is impossible. I was talking about the LE. I hope they do some kick ass programming and make the colour changing inserts something really cool on the LE.

#119 10 years ago

Not expecting anyone to do that for the Pro, I know it is impossible. I was talking about the LE. I hope they do some kick ass programming and make the colour changing inserts something really cool on the LE.

Yeah right now it seems like Stern has phoned-in the RGB inserts... you get the three basic templates: fade, wipe and color change. Not much else I could see...

You can do a lot more with them in the future (if they want to) - I know on WOZ when you hit the witch yellow and red "waves" emanate right from the witch and flow outward across the PF. This kinda opened my eyes to what artistic things you can actually do with RGB LED's.

I'd like to see them do more things like that on ST and future releases.

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah right now it seems like Stern has phoned-in the RGB inserts... you get the three basic templates: fade, wipe and color change. Not much else I could see...

I've got a light show for $59 from Home Depot, with a remote control, Led's, that does every kind of pattern you can think of....Merry xmas!

I might put a strand of lights inside my Woz and Ac/dc.......

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I might put a strand of lights inside my Woz and Ac/dc.......

Funny!

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

It easily bea
ts ACDC in shot selection; many more satisfying shots in ST vs the cookie cutter layout of ACDC; not to mention much deeper code in ST already; I urge you guys to get to the different levels in the modes; each level is more difficult and different. Not to mention 3 different wizard modes.

Don't EVEN compare this to AC/DC. Not even in the same class & wasn't meant to be. Steve R. Would even agree.

#123 10 years ago

I just read this thread and thought I was on rgp

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Don't EVEN compare this to AC/DC. Not even in the same class & wasn't meant to be. Steve R. Would even agree.

I enjoyed playing ST more than AC/DC.... ST is just more fun (nicer too look at also)

Disclaimer: This is my opinion

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I enjoyed playing ST more than AC/DC.... ST is just more fun (nicer too look at also)
Disclaimer: This is my opinion

No & no.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Star Trek trumps AC/DC.

#127 10 years ago

Yes & Yes.

#128 10 years ago

I would keep ST LE over AC DC too. Both great though.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Star Trek trumps AC/DC.

Back in Black and STLE will be great together , no need to pick sides as they are designed by the best in the business bar none !

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Back in Black and STLE will be great together , no need to pick sides as they are designed by the best in the business bar none !

Agreed! No reason to pick sides they are both great games.

#131 10 years ago

I'm just getting his goat!

#132 10 years ago

Hey coasterguy,

in your gameplay so far, have you noticed any time when the two-way kicker *doesn't* put the ball up on the wireform? Does it ever just kick it back towards the top of the LH slingshot like the Pro does?

I played a LE a few days ago, and everytime I hit the scoop, it went up to the wireform....

Thanks,
EV

#133 10 years ago

I have only seen the ball go to the wirsform so far.

#134 10 years ago

I have seen the kickback miss the ball and the ball drain. Have only seen the vuk return ball via wireform in the 20 games or so that I watched/played.

Kickback targets are worth some decent points as the ball bounces around.
Very easy to relight kickback.
Vuk return to flipper and kickback make LE much easier compared to pro.

Not the kind of game play differences that I want to have on an LE.

Not knowing which shot to hit next on the modes bugs me because the game flows well and the game is very fast. Some of this will be learned through more play, but I am unsure if there is a logical shot progression on some of the modes. Like hit left ramp and then left ramp, spinner, left vuk, and warp are lit for next shot. Hitting left ramp over and over on the fly isn't always possible.

One game I completed a level two mode, but no insert was lit afterwards. This after completing all level one modes. Have not been back to arcade yet to play more to see if I can recreate this.

Best game I had was around 107m on stock settings, so got to see a good bit of the game thus far. Had a few 100m games.

#135 10 years ago

It only puts balls on the wireform.
I have also seen a super fast left drain beat the kickback to the punch!

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

It only puts balls on the wireform.
I have also seen a super fast left drain beat the kickback to the punch!

My experience as well with both these.

The vuk is nice for control of the ball, but since it does have the ability to shoot it out as well, why not mix it up.

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

I have seen the kickback miss the ball and the ball drain. Have only seen the vuk return ball via wireform in the 20 games or so that I watched/played.
Kickback targets are worth some decent points as the ball bounces around.
Very easy to relight kickback.
Vuk return to flipper and kickback make LE much easier compared to pro.
Not the kind of game play differences that I want to have on an LE.
Not knowing which shot to hit next on the modes bugs me because the game flows well and the game is very fast. Some of this will be learned through more play, but I am unsure if there is a logical shot progression on some of the modes. Like hit left ramp and then left ramp, spinner, left vuk, and warp are lit for next shot. Hitting left ramp over and over on the fly isn't always possible.
One game I completed a level two mode, but no insert was lit afterwards. This after completing all level one modes. Have not been back to arcade yet to play more to see if I can recreate this.
Best game I had was around 107m on stock settings, so got to see a good bit of the game thus far. Had a few 100m games.

basically you want to hit the lit shield targets during each mode. After a successful shot certain shield targets will be lit to get more points. Enterprise targets will also be lit for combos and double points but only for short time.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My experience as well with both these.
The vuk is nice for control of the ball, but since it does have the ability to shoot it out as well, why not mix it up.

Probably a quick coding fix.

I am just a bit worried that Ritchie said in the Spooky podcast that they still haven't recorded the power pack update. So it could be a while before we get one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from Skulz:

One game I completed a level two mode, but no insert was lit afterwards.

That's because you didn't complete it, you failed it...timed out the mission.

#140 10 years ago

Playing this game some more.... it is incredible.

The dots on the dmd are really great. They totally tell the story and interact. You are battling guys, targeting stuff to snipe them, etc. might be the most interactive dmd game I can think of.

I can see why they needed to go custom dots. movie clips wouldn't have worked.

#141 10 years ago

CG, is yours up for grabs yet?

It's gonna look darn good over here in my arcade...

rd

#142 10 years ago

Quick question for you guys. I was able to get captains chair lit but could not figure out how to start it. Does anyone know how to start it once you get it lit.

Thanks.

#143 10 years ago

Just opened up my STLE, number 321. WOW, what a gorgeous machine, well worth the wait. The blue trim is the nicest I have seen from Stern so far and the LEDs really take the lightshow to the next level. Awesome package all around.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from mpatricksp:

Quick question for you guys. I was able to get captains chair lit but could not figure out how to start it. Does anyone know how to start it once you get it lit.
Thanks.

I believe it's just lit to tell you that for the remainder of that ball, that either ramps, bumpers, or spinner is worth extra.
It's not a wizard mode or anything.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I believe it's just lit to tell you that for the remainder of that ball, that either ramps, bumpers, or spinner is worth extra.

Ok, Thanks was thinking it was another mode.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Wouldn't that mean captain's chair should light up anytime you complete 3 in a row, even on level 1?

What are all wizard modes?
Level 1 complete = KM
Level 2 complete = ?
Level 3 complete = ?

Is there not a super final wizard mode?

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

enjoy! two weeks into wolverine and I was ready to cut my losses. a month into tron I liked it but didn't love it. STLE? I haven't touched TAF or LOTR since I unboxed it! 44 games in 4 days. it kind of makes me wonder whenever someone posts a FS AD that says "under 100 plays" and it's a game they've had for 5 or more years. really?

image.jpg 225 KB

We like to call those people "full of shit". The "it has under 50 plays", is more bullshitted than the HUO statements.

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Wouldn't that mean captain's chair should light up anytime you complete 3 in a row, even on level 1?
What are all wizard modes?
Level 1 complete = KM
Level 2 complete = ?
Level 3 complete = ?
Is there not a super final wizard mode?

Yup. Any 3 in a row or 3 of the same mode (all 3 levels).
No clue about completing all of level 2 or 3.
With the exception of 1 full game and 1 ball of a different game, this pin kicked my ass all night.
So frustrating when you're in the mood for pinball but it's not in the mood for you.

#150 10 years ago

Just had my best game yet 73,093,430 and it was NUTS! I was in a two word titled multi-ball that I didn't have time to read. This games is pure adrenaline and fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-le-is-incredible-out-of-the-box/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.