Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Philk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So now that it's been out for a little bit, what do people think of the long-term lastability of this?

The newness is fading, is this a deep machine that's going to keep you going back for more for a long time to come?
Or this is a flashy blingy thing that you start to walk away from after a while?

I look at AC/DC that still has people going nuts over it a long long while after it's been out..and I look at things like The Avengers that seemingly have faded into almost silence and wonder where this is going to fit.

#2 8 years ago

I love my STLE! I owned ac/dc prem and I much prefer STLE over it even with the code as is. With a bit more polishing on ST code I think this will be a top 10 game (IMHO)

#3 8 years ago

IMHO Right now I don't see a ton of difference in the modes...basically shoot the blinking light a few times for all 6 of them...then start over.

I'm sure that'll change with upcoming updates.

We finally have a OP who put a new Stern on location...thus I'm going support it as much as I can. But the game play got kinda old after 30ish games.

You can basically keep backhanding the left ramp and beat every mode.

Like with Xmen...I actually feel like I'm recruiting the Heros to fight the Villains when I get to the Danger Room. I don't get anything like that with ST.

I haven't played 1.4 yet..not sure what the differences are

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

So now that it's been out for a little bit, what do people think of the long-term lastability of this?
The newness is fading, is this a deep machine that's going to keep you going back for more for a long time to come?
Or this is a flashy blingy thing that you start to walk away from after a while?
I look at AC/DC that still has people going nuts over it a long long while after it's been out..and I look at things like The Avengers that seemingly have faded into almost silence and wonder where this is going to fit.

Personally I don't need a deep machine to keep me coming back. IM keeps me coming back more than any pin out there and it's not deep.

All pins get old after a while but signs are that ST may become a top 10 pin. All depends on the code updates!

#5 8 years ago

It's a keeper. I got one of the first Pro machines and I love playing it. It's such a rush, and so different from my other games. I truly feels like you're doing battle with the Vengance ship during Multiball.

Everyone is different, but I love this one!

#6 8 years ago

Funny, I would have thought there would be more discussion on this!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

IMHO Right now I don't see a ton of difference in the modes...basically shoot the blinking light a few times for all 6 of them...then start over.
I'm sure that'll change with upcoming updates.
We finally have a OP who put a new Stern on location...thus I'm going support it as much as I can. But the game play got kinda old after 30ish games.
Like with Xmen...I actually feel like I'm recruiting the Heros to fight the Villains when I get to the Danger Room. I don't get anything like that with ST.
I haven't played 1.4 yet..not sure what the differences are

I'm 300 plus games in to my STLE. Loving it. The 1st level modes ARE repetitive, no doubt... but the goal is not to simply "complete" them. You can time them out to complete them. To build scores you need to hit a variety of combos. Those scores then come in to play with the first mini wizard mode. Second level is a whole different kettle of fish. Specific shots are required to complete each different mode... I haven't managed it yet 300 games in. I think completing four 2nd level modes is my best to date. 3rd level is timed with specific shot patterns, and they reset if you don't manage them, requiring restarting the mode for possible completion.

This game is already VERY deep, and only getting better.

It's not losing any shine for me. Starting to sparkle actually!! Haha.

The 1.41 code is a lot better than the previous codes. It's getting more subtle, and challenging. 1st modes are a breeze, but if you're just backhanding the left ramp, you're missing the point entirely. Try 1.41, and follow the combos.

Working on 2nd level mode completion, while pursuing Klingon Multiballs, Warp Ramps, Vengeance Battles, Vengeance Multiballs... Is a very fast paced, very deep, very satisfying game thus far.

#8 8 years ago

It's a keeper for me - improved my gameplay no end since I got it. It's a lot of fun all round, not too complex but plenty of shots to master.

#9 8 years ago

i like Klingon battle , you can have the vengeance multiball , the ball return with the saucer will be faster but after the revenge multiball the ball return really fast and furious ! each mode is crazy fun

#10 8 years ago

My skills have improved since I got STLE.
This game is making me a better pinball player!

#11 8 years ago

still loving STLE and I'm well over 100 plays. l'm seeing LOTR and TAF potential RE long term ownership.

#12 8 years ago

100 plays...I currently own 31 pins and it is my favorite pin.

Never had a new pin get 100 games in 1st 2 weeks!!!

WoZLE is getting less play. But I have GI illumination kit coming and that will definitely help make it more playable!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Never had a new pin get 100 games in 1st 2 weeks!!!

Really?

I think we put 100 plays on Tron in the first 2 days we had it, and I know I put at least 100 on AC/DC Prem the 1st week we had it...

#14 8 years ago

Have over 300+ plays on it, I actually find the 1.41 code harder, which to me makes the game more challenging, especially with the risk/reward in taking the 3 in row in either the first three missions or going for 5 missions and getting two awards. I have not even touched my other games since I got the machine which is a bad thing but tells the story on STLE that is a fun machine to play and definately is a keeper in my collection.

I still believe they can do a better job on the L1, L2, L3 as of yet that is not strategy that is worth going for, if they can figure out how to get a 4X shot when completed an L3 mode then that would be another great risk/reward strategy that would be worth going for in the game. The other is the warp ramp, right now way too risky of a shot for what it is worth, if they can figure out those to things this will be a super solid entry...

#15 8 years ago

I'll echo the same sentiments on this game making you a better player. I have 125 plays on my LE in a week and beyond my sore wrists, I can say switching over to my other games is now somewhat depressing, other games are now easier with less speed, dimmer lighted playfields, etc. This game can only improve with the next software release, but as it stands now at 1.41 it definately has staying power.

#16 8 years ago

Coming from someone who isn't a fan of Star Trek at all. Zilch zero.
Played my friends LE and was literally blown away that it's got me back into pinball again.
Heck I'd even consider owning one at some stage and the aesthetics of this machine (LE as that's all I've seen in person) are literally second to none.

#17 8 years ago

It's still the honeymoon phase so hard to tell. That said, last week the code felt stale and repetitive. And while the code needs work, I've been finding new techniques and strategies that have me loving this game.

Code and rules will define this game in the long run. It's off to a great start, but deep games don't always equate to last ability. TRON IM and MET are great examples of not so deep games that have a huge replay factor. Sometimes a deep game can hurt its last ability factor because it becomes more of a work load game than fun.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sometimes a deep game can hurt its last ability factor because it becomes more of a work load game than fun.

See all the people who love TSPP and LOTR and yet walk past them without really wanting to turn them on to start grinding.

I don't know that "deep" is the right word, it can mean so many loaded things. Like if ST really starts doing cool stuff with combos and color coded inserts so that nailing shots in the right order or pattern or on the fly leads to better scoring is that deep? Or just fun?

#19 8 years ago

I think it's a fine game and is a top ten title for me as-is.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Funny, I would have thought there would be more discussion on this!

I thought you were talking about Data East Star Trek. Fun game, but would have been a lot better if they had gotten Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock on board for some of the callouts.

#21 8 years ago

Probably not a keeper for me. I love the game, but I'm not a huge Trekkie and it doesn't fit with my even Dorkier Super Hero collection.
-Wes

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See all the people who love TSPP and LOTR and yet walk past them without really wanting to turn them on to start grinding.
I don't know that "deep" is the right word, it can mean so many loaded things. Like if ST really starts doing cool stuff with combos and color coded inserts so that nailing shots in the right order or pattern or on the fly leads to better scoring is that deep? Or just fun?

Totally agree. There's a fine line between deep and fun. I owned LoTR for 6 1/2 years. Now if I see one, I'm like 'cool LoTR' and just keep walking. If I do happen to stop and hit start, I usually regret it 25 mins later when I'm still playing. Still a classic and top 5 in my book though

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

This game is already VERY deep, and only getting better.
It's not losing any shine for me.

I bet my definition of 'deep' is wrong. I think Star Trek is very 'shallow'. Sure, there are 6 missions, but they are all the same. Start a mission, hit the list shots. Wash, rinse, repeat.

However, I must say I have more fun playing Star Trek than any other game I've ever played. I love the simplistic rules of the game. It is supremely fast but it's very easy to see what needs to be hit at any time. Comboing 5 lit mission shots is a rush. Hitting the Vengence is awesome. Hitting the warp ramp, especially a few times in a row, is exhilarating. Warp 9.9, although a 2-ball MB is anti-climatic, is extremely satisfying (at least that one time that I managed it), but with the extra ball carrot dangling it's impossible to resist the shot. The two Start Mission shots are perfectly placed as rarer and difficult, but required to progress. It all ties in with fantastic sound and animations. For me, Star Trek is a winner and worthy of a Premium/LE edition.

#24 8 years ago

I'm not sure I understand the rules, if you hit all one level 6 modes you get to a mini wizard, but what do you get if you complete a stack of three? It makes more sense to me to complete three in a stack? But what is the pay off for three in a stack?

Also, what are the Multi balls and stacking opportunities? I have not seen any written rules.

#25 8 years ago

This game is a keeper and keeps me coming back for more. It is super fast, silky smooth and brutally hard for a poor player such as myself. The problem I have with it is it is keeping my from playing any of my other games! I finally finished shopping my AFM and played 2 game and meh.. I went back to my STLE. Everything else seems really old and dated. There is just something that keeps me coming back! I have well over 350 games on it and have not slowed down.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not sure I understand the rules, if you hit all one level 6 modes you get to a mini wizard, but what do you get if you complete a stack of three? It makes more sense to me to complete three in a stack? But what is the pay off for three in a stack?
Also, what are the Multi balls and stacking opportunities? I have not seen any written rules.

Completing 3 deep missions awards a shot on the pf worth 2X. The problem is that 2X shot doesn't stack with combo multipliers and the default factory settings have it so if you lose your ball, you lose the 2X shot. Turn feature adjustment #33 to NO (which I recommend) and this reward will carry over ball to ball and make it a more relevant award. The problem is that this 2X shot doesn't stack with a combo multiplier so getting this award to increase other level 1 mission points, hence increasing your KM JPs, is irrelevant.

I don't know if the 2X pf award counts towards super ramps or super spinner - I would think so.

That all said, I have been having fun going 3 deep with destroy the drill which lights the warp ramp 2X shot which is good for the Klingon super JP and if you're good at making consecutive warp shots.

#27 8 years ago

PSH. STLE is going nowhere!! In other words...It's staying in my gameroom FOREVER!!!

#28 8 years ago

I love this thread as I have yet to receive my LE in a trade. 3 weeks left the wait is exciting, something I have had in awhile in pinball. Don't even want to watch videos anymore as I want that initial surprise. Happy most are liking their game and the code sounds pretty good for being early.

#29 8 years ago

Wish I had one as it seems like a pin I would enjoy, and I never really liked Star Trek shows/movies.

#30 8 years ago

I think in a larger collection it will be a keeper. If you can only have one game I like it as well. The only issue I have is long ball times so I prefer Tron and Iron Man. But Star Trek is a top 10 as is. With code updates it will be top 5.

#31 8 years ago

Lets just say, for me, if one had to go AcDc premium, Tron or STLE, AcDc would go first, can't decide between Tron and STLE both great.

Setting aside theme which I don't care for Acdc as much, but just talking about play field, having the cannon is a demerit on acdc. I don't find any demirts on STLE on the playfield (excepting the ST code which hopefully will be getting better).

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from GGG:

I'll echo the same sentiments on this game making you a better player. I have 125 plays on my LE in a week and beyond my sore wrists, I can say switching over to my other games is now somewhat depressing, other games are now easier with less speed, dimmer lighted playfields, etc. This game can only improve with the next software release, but as it stands now at 1.41 it definately has staying power.

ditto! I'm in the process of adding 2 or 3 double spots to many of my games because my Pro has spoiled me with actually being able to see the ball when it's in play.

Disclaimer....I like to play in a dark room and this game was MADE for a dark room.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

I love this thread as I have yet to receive my LE in a trade. 3 weeks left the wait is exciting, something I have had in awhile in pinball. Don't even want to watch videos anymore as I want that initial surprise. Happy most are liking their game and the code sounds pretty good for being early.

Keep that mind set and you will REALLY enjoy your game when it comes. I knew nothing about the game when I put 5 games on a Pro and I knew then I HAD to have one.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

So this was corrected a while ago. You cannot beat the modes making just this shot. After hitting it, it turns off on most modes. Plus the combo meter lights up on the other shots. Basically, if you are doing just this repeatedly on latest Sw, your score will be low and you get nowhere.

#35 8 years ago

Mark, what is the combo meter?

#36 8 years ago

What determines lastability? It's different for everyone.

What Star Trek has in its favor is lots of modes, multiple levels per mode, different ways to approach them resulting in different awards. IMO it's extremely challenging to get thru all Level 1's to get Kobayashi Maru Multiball...it's a satisfying goal to shoot for. On top of that you have the challenge of finishing all the Level 2 and 3's! It's going to take lots of play and practice to get that good - so there are attainable but super challenging goals to keep you coming back.

Anyone who says all the modes are the same hasn't played the Level 2 & 3 variations...that's where they get totally different.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Mark, what is the combo meter?

The red Enterprise arrow inserts are lit when a combo is active...so even if a Starfleet Insignia insert isn't lit, it's to your benefit to hit the combo and then chain it into your lit Starfleet Insignia insert shot.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

it's extremely challenging to get thru all Level 1's to get Kobayashi Maru Multiball...it's a satisfying goal to shoot for

I just got to Kobayashi for the 1st time last night. What a fantastic 2 ball multi-ball with a kick ass light show per shot. Has anyone finished all level 2 or 3 modes yet? man that is one hell of a challenge, but that is what keeps this game fun and rewarding.

#39 8 years ago

Into my 4th day of getting my pre, gotta go..........play.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I just got to Kobayashi for the 1st time last night. What a fantastic 2 ball multi-ball with a kick ass light show per shot. Has anyone finished all level 2 or 3 modes yet? man that is one hell of a challenge, but that is what keeps this game fun and rewarding.

I've finished the Level 3 modes here and there on their own - cuz they're fun to play - but not ALL in one game...ooopph, that's gonna be hard as F!!!! I'm gonna have to set Special to Extra Ball (although I don't even think Special is programmed in yet).

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've finished the Level 3 modes here and there on their own - cuz they're fun to play - but not ALL in one game...ooopph, that's gonna be hard as F!!!!

yep! even doing all the level 2 missions would be hard as F!!! I do like the options when starting a game. what are you going to play for? try for a couple level 3's or go for all level one's or what. That keeps each game fresh.

I also wonder once Kobayashi is complete it wipes the board and now everything starts as a level 2 mission. This makes sense since all level 1 missions have been completed. But if a player has completed a level 2 or 3 mission prior to completing Kobayashi does that progression stay on the mission grid?

#42 8 years ago

How do you start Kobayashi?

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've finished the Level 3 modes here and there on their own - cuz they're fun to play - but not ALL in one game...ooopph, that's gonna be hard as F!!!! I'm gonna have to set Special to Extra Ball (although I don't even think Special is programmed in yet).

I've gotten some specials. No idea how though.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

How do you start Kobayashi?

Complete the 2d grid (all level 1 modes) then shoot vengeance to start.

#45 8 years ago

Thanks Markmon

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The red Enterprise arrow inserts are lit when a combo is active...so even if a Starfleet Insignia insert isn't lit, it's to your benefit to hit the combo and then chain it into your lit Starfleet Insignia insert shot.

What makes these shots interesting, is that there are usually 3 choices for a combo, but one of them is also a second LIT shot in the mode. Chaining together multiple combos that are also lit shots seems to achieve crazy high mode scores. It's common for me to see 1.4-2 Million fora mode total, but for one particularly hot mode I achieved over 6 Million for the mode total. That meant two plus 6 M shots during Kobayashi Multiball. That stuff is pretty exciting IMO

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

What makes these shots interesting, is that there are usually 3 choices for a combo, but one of them is also a second LIT shot in the mode. Chaining together multiple combos that are also lit shots seems to achieve crazy high mode scores. It's common for me to see 1.4-2 Million fora mode total, but for one particularly hot mode I achieved over 6 Million for the mode total. That meant two plus 6 M shots during Kobayashi Multiball. That stuff is pretty exciting IMO

Yeah - the game has a lot of "non obvious" little gems like that...hopefully the Karl Urban update will call attention to some of those things.

#48 8 years ago

Is there more multiballs then Kobayashi and the vengeance? Still not played the game but it sounds hard to get to Kobayashi and i really loves multiballs Vengeance Multiball on LE looks great on youtube!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit:

Is there more multiballs then Kobayashi and the vengeance? Still not played the game but it sounds hard to get to Kobayashi and i really loves multiballs

Klingon mutilball (utilizing the locks), and it also has the 2nd & 3rd tier wizard modes, Enterprise Amok & 5 year mission multiball. Warp ramp spits out a 2nd ball at 9.9 (18 warp ramps) but I haven't gotten there yet haha.

#50 8 years ago

Isnt the Klingon multiball and vengeance the same? Hit the ship until it locks 2 balls and then start it?
Sorry for stupid question but i havent pulled the trigger yet

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!