(Topic ID: 101672)

ST Code Discussion - Update Coming Soon???

By Asylum

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 835 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goonie
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

package.jpg
One-Billion_Dr_Evil-642-380.jpg
image.jpg
WarpC.png
cu.jpg
image-223.jpg
20140830_132112.jpg
image-749.jpg
image.jpg
image-626.jpg
002.JPG
250047-gornheader.jpg
image-649.jpg
Image-0x2008.png
woohoo.jpg
images-443.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 9 years ago

Great job on Stern's part getting this update out before long holiday weekend! Congrats to the ST owners who've been waiting for this one to drop.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I love how during Prime Directive Bones now says "Jim, they're getting closer". It's a million times better than the generic "They're getting closer Captian, run!" quote that used to be in the game.

Yeah, that sure sounds WAY cooler. What a big change!

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

However, for those of you that did nothing but complain about the rules and how every mode felt "the same" before, I don't see how it's any different now. Yet all those same people seem pretty pleased with the update. Why is that?

Personally, I've been ok with the rules all along. They're not fantastic, but they're not terrible. In this update, it feels like really none of the rules have changed at all. Sure there are some small rule changes like the addition of the shield targets lighting the left outlane on the pro or the setting that use to exist now being defaulted to "ON" where 3 deep gives you a 2x shot for the game. But for the most part nothing has changed. The list is long, Steve Ritchie posted it himself showing he cares, lots of new call outs, no real rule changes, and everyone is happy? Well I'm happy that people are happy. I am happy, too. But it is still confusing.

I haven't played it obviously, but from what I've read in the notes, this is also the impression that I get. I posted a similar question in the ST = Work thread.

I'm sure people are pleased though because there are obviously improvements as you noted. Better call outs, some cool MB effects, warp ramp finally implemented like it should be etc. But yeah, the modes don't appear to have any major changes based on what I've read other than the Galactic Away Team scoring, which I don't understand yet.

Do you know what the GAT scoring does Mark?

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes. For the most part. So after you hit 3 mission shots, away team shot is lit and if you hit it right away you'll get the default amount of points per hit during the galactic mode. But if you have time, hit some more of the mission shots (combos especially), then get the away team shot and your galactic mode score values will be increasingly better. The hardest mode I've found to increase this value is destroy the drill. While modes like Klingon battle and Nero are a but easier to build that galactic scoring.
And if your good, you can save Klingon battle I for when you build warp ramp to 9, then start 3 in a row super ramps, then start Klingon battle, hit 9.1 for double scoring and start Klingon battle galactic event for galactic ramps and cash in!

That sounds pretty cool! That definitely makes the tier 1 modes more interesting than they were. They were completely lacking in risk/reward, now it's there.

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

'Crappy Super Bands' here. I can hit it just fine.

20140830_132112.jpg 148 KB

Had the "crappy Super Bands" on my STLE without issue as well. Have them on most of my pins.

#351 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Biggest let down so far is the Karl Urban speech. Man, he phoned that in big time. It's super obvious he just didn't care about pinball and really bothering to do a strong performance, which is a shame. If I was Ritchie and Stern I'd try a trick out of the Thiel book from earlier in the pin's life, and try speeding up his quotes without pitch shifting them. Might help a lot of they were faster, make up for some of the deadpan, almost lazy sounding speed at which he's reading.

Great summary. The above is very disappointing though. How wrong could we have all been? We all thought that the Urban custom speech would be excellent based on the fact that he's a pretty good actor, *and* he is a pinball player/fan.

I never would have thought his work would be a disappointment. Others seem to agree that it's not as good as we had hoped.

#356 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

It's not great.... but it's not terrible.
I just think he could have got a little more into it.

Yeah, I mean I'm not getting the feeling from anyone that it sucks. Just not as good as hoped.

#362 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I'm to big of a puss to tell this guy I'm not happy with his work...

cu.jpg 10 KB

GREAT movie!

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, we know he is a pinhead and that is the only reason he's in the game. So I wouldn't call them phoned it, but they were likely done with no direction.
He was probably sent a script and it was recorded on-site wherever he was and it was left to him. Probably as simple as that.

The fact that they were done with no direction is not a very good excuse. A good actor doesn't need to be coached on giving a good performance. The best actors tell the director how it should go down!

#366 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Anyone who enjoys the game will BSD happy with the changes.

#378 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The more I play the game with the new code, the more I agree that some of the Bones quotes just don't have the enthusiasm that they should. It's not like Urban doesn't have the ability to convey the proper emotions. The guy is an awesome actor. I agree with the person who said he wasn't given proper direction. When you're shooting a movie, it's the director's job to make sure that they get what they want out of their actors. Whoever was in charge of the sound design on the game needed to do the same thing with Urban's speech. Many of lines were said very calmly, when they needed to convey a sense of urgency and excitement. Someone dropped the ball, and I don't think it's fair to blame Urban.

It's not fair to blame Urban for his own work?

He's the actor that played Bones in the movie. He knows the character! He should have been able to give plenty of enthusiasm and emotion without direction from a pinball designer.

#417 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't know. I suppose you're right, but it just doesn't make sense that Urban would phone it in. I really like him as an actor, and I guess I'd like to believe that he didn't fully understand the context of some of the lines he was reciting. Perhaps part of the problem lies in the fact that the speech was recorded after the fact instead of worked into the game from the beginning.

Well I think that is a good point that you raise about him possibly not understanding the context. That's very possible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-code-is-out?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.