(Topic ID: 101672)

ST Code Discussion - Update Coming Soon???

By Asylum

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 835 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Goonie
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

package.jpg
One-Billion_Dr_Evil-642-380.jpg
image.jpg
WarpC.png
cu.jpg
image-223.jpg
20140830_132112.jpg
image-749.jpg
image.jpg
image-626.jpg
002.JPG
250047-gornheader.jpg
image-649.jpg
Image-0x2008.png
woohoo.jpg
images-443.jpg

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's not fair to blame Urban for his own work?
He's the actor that played Bones in the movie. He knows the character! He should have been able to give plenty of enthusiasm and emotion without direction from a pinball designer.

Actually, I don't think you can. First off, several quotes were provided and the game designers chose what to use, what not to use, and where to use it. Second, Karl is a great actor. But his emotion always shows up on his face. Verbally, he is bland. That's his style. From Cesar on Xena, to Bones in Star Trek, to judge dredd...all his roles express emotion via facial expressions not strong voice.

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Agreed, they spent 8 months on this code update and couldn't even implement the bouders and backbox flashers! I'm enjoying the new update but to be honest I expected much more.

This is my current issue as most of us with an LE paid a lot more money for the added features and they are still not implemented. - This is the reason I feel a PRO is often the better choice in the more bang for your buck category. The LE 's usually have the better light show and also a share of additional issues

Right now with STLE I am fighting an issue where the shaker motor activates the right flippers slightly. I feel this is because they are using the shaker on the 12V line on the LE that is usually left as a 12 or 5 V hookup. If I disconnect my lighted backbox, the issue stops. If I disconnect the shaker, the issue stops.

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Right now with STLE I am fighting an issue where the shaker motor activates the right flippers slightly. I feel this is because they are using the shaker on the 12V line on the LE that is usually left as a 12 or 5 V hookup. If I disconnect my lighted backbox, the issue stops. If I disconnect the shaker, the issue stops.

Do you have the board with the J3 (I believe) ground pins? If not, ask for a board with those ground pins from Stern. I was told a few people were having a problem with the shaker activating the flippers and grounding solved the problem. I haven't had this problem, but when I was installing the shaker in the Pro, I noticed a ground wire that I didn't know where to place. I called Stern and was told about this issue. They said if I ever had a problem to call again, and they would send me the shaker board with the ground pins.

#404 6 years ago

Wow, this is fun! I just got galactic red matter for the first time. I've never purposely aimed at the red matter targets before, but now I was loving doing so. Got them all. I just wish there would have been some call out or animation for getting all of the targets. Still, it was great shooting for something else on the playfield for a change.

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I have the Flipper Fidelity system with the oversized woofer and it does just fine.

John, I've got the FF system with the oversized woofer and an external sub. The FF oversized woofer sounds like crap compared to the external sub and I removed it. Unless I was sent a defective woofer, there is NO comparison...the external sub ROCKS it!

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

has anyone noticed a difference with the balls getting stuck on magnet during vengeance multi ball??? read me says there is a code change that addresses this issue, just wondering if it has helped anybody...

I haven't had a 2nd ball stuck in Vengeance for a while until this update.

#407 6 years ago

He hit the code drop date on the head and he mainly speaks only about ST... combined with his defense of the Karl.

From now on I dub the "Captain_Karl"

#408 6 years ago

Here are my thoughts so far on my ST Pro.

Polish overall is great. I can't even mention everything, but this game was a spectacle before and it is even more so now. In fact, to me, this is the polish update more than anything else. Klingon mb start is freaking awesome. All the new voice adds a lot too, but it is mixed way too loud or weird sounding in some of the clips, they also repeat a lot in some odd situations, like 3 callouts in a row exactly the same.

The away team mechanic sounds neat, and I hit that shot a lot, but I never have ANY idea what it is doing or what shots I should be going for after I hit it. Some sort of more obvious cue for a mechanic like this would be nice.

The pro version of a kick back is fine I guess... but couldn't the shield target lights be used to show the kickback is active instead of overloading the T insert. It just seems like such a ghetto fix to show that without a dedicated insert. I'd rather the shield lights were just both lit solid for when the kickback is active or something like that.

Also a few times when hitting away team while the mode is active, mode is still active after I make away team, but now no shots were lit. Maybe i am missing something, at first I thought maybe it was a NERO hit the black hole thing but it happened in save the enterprise too. I also may have had a similar issue during Kobayashi... but that was so fast and hectic I may have just missed a lit insert or something in that case. I am not 100% sure this wasn't just me not knowing the game well enough in all cases on this.

Overall I really like the update, and I am most happy that they didn't completely overhaul the game because I like the core (and simple) mechanics of it. I want more than anything for this game to be the Star Trek version of No Fear, and it is doing that in a pretty great way so far.

-ben

#409 6 years ago

I'll chime in a little on the Karl urban speech. 90% of his call outs are great! 80% is well integrated. It's the rest that sticks out like a sore thumb so it seems to me that people that don't have much play on the new code focus on the bad rather than the good.

When you own a game for 10 mos then get an update that completely rehashes the call outs and sounds, it'll sound weird at first....really weird.

Bottom line; Karl's call outs and work are superb and well done. "Damn it Jim, don't man handle it!"

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'll chime in a little on the Karl urban speech. 90% of his call outs are great! 80% is well integrated. It's the rest that sticks out like a sore thumb so it seems to me that people that don't have much play on the new code focus on the bad rather than the good.
When you own a game for 10 mos then get an update that completely rehashes the call outs and sounds, it'll sound weird at first....really weird.
Bottom line; Karl's call outs and work are superb and well done. "Damn it Jim, don't man handle it!"

Very well said.... the more time I have on the new code the more I'm liking the call outs.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I would agree. We've heard the original call outs countless times, so the new ones stick out. I do think they can be mixed a little better, but its hard not to have a critical ear for it.

#412 6 years ago

I will agree that they are mostly pretty good. He asked me if I was drunk today. hilarious. but 3 or 4 of them just came out woeful. "Jim, are..you...al..right?", "They're getting closer"..I think everyone knows the offenders by now.

#413 6 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

The pro version of a kick back is fine I guess... but couldn't the shield target lights be used to show the kickback is active instead of overloading the T insert. It just seems like such a ghetto fix to show that without a dedicated insert. I'd rather the shield lights were just both lit solid for when the kickback is active or something like that.

My thoughts exactly! I like everything other than the constantly flashing T.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

My thoughts exactly! I like everything other than the constantly flashing T.

I actually like the flashing T feature and I'm stoked that the pro now has a working kickback.
I'm still exploring and trying to figure out the away team feature on the level 1 missions.

#416 6 years ago

So I no longer think there is a bug with lit shots, I didn't realize the away team was basically altering the mode so much that sometimes it changed to wanting you to just hit roll over lanes at the top sometimes. I noticed there is a voice call out to go to roll overs too when this happened, just hard to hear in the chaos.

-ben

#417 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't know. I suppose you're right, but it just doesn't make sense that Urban would phone it in. I really like him as an actor, and I guess I'd like to believe that he didn't fully understand the context of some of the lines he was reciting. Perhaps part of the problem lies in the fact that the speech was recorded after the fact instead of worked into the game from the beginning.

Well I think that is a good point that you raise about him possibly not understanding the context. That's very possible.

#418 6 years ago

i agree with the context, not sure if somebody directed him on how to do call out.
i'm pretty sure he can do about anything, he is a very good actor.

in the end i'm still very happy with the update, maybe in future updates they can fix some of them.
i'm amazed that after 8 months working on it they still don't have the flashers working or was it really 8 months.

#419 6 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Do you have the board with the J3 (I believe) ground pins? If not, ask for a board with those ground pins from Stern. I was told a few people were having a problem with the shaker activating the flippers and grounding solved the problem. I haven't had this problem, but when I was installing the shaker in the Pro, I noticed a ground wire that I didn't know where to place. I called Stern and was told about this issue. They said if I ever had a problem to call again, and they would send me the shaker board with the ground pins.

Thank you for this. It's good to know there is a solution to this problem.

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My kickback works 95% of the time. I'd appreciate a virtual save for the few times it glitches.

I found a setting to increase the kickback power, so I changed it from 28 to 32 (max) and that gives it more output, but still less than I expected.

Robert

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I actually like the flashing T feature and I'm stoked that the pro now has a working kickback.
I'm still exploring and trying to figure out the away team feature on the level 1 missions.

Yes, the flashing "T" for the kickback is just fine on the Pro. However I never know what to shoot for on the Pro for galactic events. I got galactic lanes and the lanes didn't do anything, didn't light up or un-light, nothing. I achieved other galactic events too and nothing lit up, no real direction on those, on the Pro anyway.

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I found a setting to increase the kickback power, so I changed it from 28 to 32 (max) and that gives it more output, but still less than I expected.
Robert

It's not a question of power, it's just that every once in a while (and it's rare!) the ball manages to shoot past it without it firing. Too fast, I dunno. Point is if the kickback is lit I'm not nudging or anything because I'm counting on the game to do what it's supposed to and save my ball. If by any chance something doesn't work please just fire off the ball save and give me a new one.

Again, Monster Bash, phantom flip, you count on it to work, and if it doesn't the game says "my bad, have your ball back" and you just continue playing.

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

the ball manages to shoot past it without it firing.

OK, this has never happed to me.

Before I increased the power, the ball just barely made it to the AT flipper...I've checked the coil and mechanism, and it seems to be good.

Maybe I was expecting too much. Perhaps the kickback is only to get the ball to the upper flipper to then set you up to hit the warp ramp.

Robert

#424 6 years ago

I've only played a few games, but to me...the game is just more fun now .

Still getting used to the new nuances, and I expect I'll be even happier when I figure out what to do and when.

Robert

#425 6 years ago

I found that taking off the small rubber on the right post in the kicker lane shot the ball up to the right top flipper.

#426 6 years ago

Had a chance to play a bunch of games on the update....it's pretty cool. Hopefully we'll get another layer of polish, but the extra goodies really tie things together nicely. I love that Away Team is SOMETHING now besides just mode start.

The most obvious thing that sticks out to me that needs a little more work:

-The only Away Team/Galactic Event that has a visual cue is the lanes, as they turn dark blue. The other Galactic Events have no cue, so if you miss Admiral Steven's callout, you don't know what you're shooting for. Solution: All Galactic Events need a blue insert cue. They should use the small Enterprise inserts, as those are only lit red for Combos...in a Galactic Event, that insert can be blue (solid or pulsing maybe). In the event of a Combo, it can alternate blue/red (like the Starfleet inserts when events are stacked). For the Pro, a pulsing effect on the Enterprise insert would work.

-LE/Premium flashers NEED in-game light show code! Please! Asteroids, spotlights, speaker panels, backglass, backbox insignias do nothing during gameplay.

Audio issues I'd like to see polished:

-Klingon MB start is awesome, but the voice callouts are getting completely drowned out by all the sound FX. Some audio cleanup here would really help.

-Some processing of the Karl Urban callouts would be nice. I think when he's just talking to you as the player, the voices sound good...in that context, it's like he's your buddy next to you....but some of his voices are supposed to be in the context of a movie scene, and he sounds disconnected. When he yells "KAAAAHN!" it sound pretty cheesy, but if they added some kind of echo effect & fade it would sound much cooler. When you're in Space Jump, it would be nice if it was processed a bit with some sound FX so that he sounded like he was talking to you in your helmet com.

-Still on my wishlist: More sound FX for DMD animation during Level 2 and 3 modes. Example: Klingon 2 - When Uhura gets captured, there are laser blasts flying by but no sound FX for them. There are a lot of "cartoon style" animated segments, which are great...but stuff like that needs sound FX, like a cartoon.

#427 6 years ago
Quoted from Slyce:

I agree, the callouts in PD are the weakest. The rest I'm ok with.

Biggest problem is that his callouts don't match the situation. "Jim, they're right behind us!!" said without a hint of panting, gasping or anything you'd hear from someone who was actually running for their life. Urban is an actor, but perhaps he's not good at voice-acting (like cartoon actors)? Either way, some of the callouts are just bad. Not a big deal.. the worst ones can be eliminated or changed with pinball browser. The overall update is very nice, just need to fix the double scoring and other bugs.

#428 6 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I haven't had a 2nd ball stuck in Vengeance for a while until this update.

I have never had ball stuck but now all the time,I don't even shoot for the ball being held anymore

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When you're in Space Jump, it would be nice if it was processed a bit with some sound FX so that he sounded like he was talking to you in your helmet com.

Ooh, good call, that would help with the immersion a ton, and would be really easy to do.

I think that, combined with speeding up his calls a little without pitch shifting them (again, easy) would do a ton to help his audio feel right. His reads were just a little slow for the pace of the game. I know that's something Thiel did with other game calls already, he talked about that in his presentation in Seattle, so it would fit the rest of the game.

#430 6 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

Adjust the outlane switch to close a little later.. allows the ball to get closer to the kickback before it fires. Penalty is a slightly better chance of very fast balls getting past the kicker.

#431 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I found that taking off the small rubber on the right post in the kicker lane shot the ball up to the right top flipper.

This too... you can also shave the left side off and drop a dab of glue to keep it from rotating the shaved side away from the KB, but removing the rubber definitely helps.

#432 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-Klingon MB start is awesome, but the voice callouts are getting completely drowned out by all the sound FX. Some audio cleanup here would really help.

No, keep it as-is. You don't expect to hear well over the din of battle, right? More realistic the way it is now.

Agree on helmet-voice changes for Urban.

#433 6 years ago

So, from SR's announcement he says: "More than 150 Karl Urban (“Bones”) custom speech calls are now installed,"....has anyone heard that many?

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Had a chance to play a bunch of games on the update....it's pretty cool. Hopefully we'll get another layer of polish, but the extra goodies really tie things together nicely. I love that Away Team is SOMETHING now besides just mode start.
The most obvious thing that sticks out to me that needs a little more work:
-The only Away Team/Galactic Event that has a visual cue is the lanes, as they turn dark blue. The other Galactic Events have no cue, so if you miss Admiral Steven's callout, you don't know what you're shooting for. Solution: All Galactic Events need a blue insert cue. They should use the small Enterprise inserts, as those are only lit red for Combos...in a Galactic Event, that insert can be blue (solid or pulsing maybe). In the event of a Combo, it can alternate blue/red (like the Starfleet inserts when events are stacked). For the Pro, a pulsing effect on the Enterprise insert would work.
-LE/Premium flashers NEED in-game light show code! Please! Asteroids, spotlights, speaker panels, backglass, backbox insignias do nothing during gameplay.
Audio issues I'd like to see polished:
-Some processing of the Karl Urban callouts would be nice. I think when he's just talking to you as the player, the voices sound good...in that context, it's like he's your buddy next to you....but some of his voices are supposed to be in the context of a movie scene, and he sounds disconnected. When he yells "KAAAAHN!" it sound pretty cheesy, but if they added some kind of echo effect & fade it would sound much cooler. When you're in Space Jump, it would be nice if it was processed a bit with some sound FX so that he sounded like he was talking to you in your helmet com.
-Still on my wishlist: More sound FX for DMD animation during Level 2 and 3 modes. Example: Klingon 2 - When Uhura gets captured, there are laser blasts flying by but no sound FX for them. There are a lot of "cartoon style" animated segments, which are great...but stuff like that needs sound FX, like a cartoon.

Some great ideas Greg!

The biggest FIX I'd like to see at this point is make the 2X pf shot actually work. It's been broken since release and still is after a major update?

#435 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

So, from SR's announcement he says: "More than 150 Karl Urban (“Bones”) custom speech calls are now installed,"....has anyone heard that many?

I'm still hearing new callouts on my Metallica. It's fun when Sparky drops some line that you've never heard before even after hundreds of games. I assume some are just set to be more rare. So I highly doubt anyone is going to hear all the new callouts within days of the new code.

#436 6 years ago

He meant Chloe Urban

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

No, keep it as-is. You don't expect to hear well over the din of battle, right? More realistic the way it is now.

That's a BS excuse to justify a poor mix. Why have voices there at all? I can't hear what Kirk & whoever are saying and the beginning of the Klingon voice is even obscured. Should you not hear any dialog in the ST movies because they're in the middle of battle? C'mon.

#438 6 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

He meant Chloe Urban

OMG I was just playing and heard him say "Jack. Pot" exactly like Chloe. GYAH! Just take Urban's jackpot calls out of Klingon MB - The Klingon jackpot callouts rule, that's all ya need there.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a BS excuse to justify a poor mix. Why have voices there at all?

I've found the entire sound mix to be way off in the new code. Many of the voices and callouts are completely drowned out by the sound effects and music, particularly when you first start a new mode. I had to turn speech to -10 in order to get an acceptable balance, and it's still not perfect. This was not the case with the old code. I never adjusted any of the volume controls before, and the mix always sounded fine.

#440 6 years ago

if only stern took more time to get it right....

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yeah like another 9 month. Just kidding....just kidding.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I love the new code but I will never figure out why we the pinball community can find things wrong with the code very quickly and stern can't ,it is like it is not really tested by real enthusiast

#443 6 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

Here are my thoughts so far on my ST Pro.
Polish overall is great. I can't even mention everything, but this game was a spectacle before and it is even more so now. In fact, to me, this is the polish update more than anything else. Klingon mb start is freaking awesome. All the new voice adds a lot too, but it is mixed way too loud or weird sounding in some of the clips, they also repeat a lot in some odd situations, like 3 callouts in a row exactly the same.
The away team mechanic sounds neat, and I hit that shot a lot, but I never have ANY idea what it is doing or what shots I should be going for after I hit it. Some sort of more obvious cue for a mechanic like this would be nice.
Also a few times when hitting away team while the mode is active, mode is still active after I make away team, but now no shots were lit. Maybe i am missing something, at first I thought maybe it was a NERO hit the black hole thing but it happened in save the enterprise too. I also may have had a similar issue during Kobayashi... but that was so fast and hectic I may have just missed a lit insert or something in that case. I am not 100% sure this wasn't just me not knowing the game well enough in all cases on this.
Overall I really like the update, and I am most happy that they didn't completely overhaul the game because I like the core (and simple) mechanics of it. I want more than anything for this game to be the Star Trek version of No Fear, and it is doing that in a pretty great way so far.
-ben

It's because the side ramp is the shot that it seems like no shots are active.

#444 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have never had ball stuck but now all the time,I don't even shoot for the ball being held anymore

I've never once had an issue, before or after the update. Guess there is still some hardware variation affecting this. Sucks that it got worse for you.

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Mine gets stuck but is released with light shaking...

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I love the new code but I will never figure out why we the pinball community can find things wrong with the code very quickly and stern can't ,it is like it is not really tested by real enthusiast

I agree. There are a a few on Pinside that have a keen eye to pick out issues and bugs in a few short days. Don't understand why stern doesn't use them for beta testers. Might be that info could be leaked out and cause chaos. But it would help to prevent criticism and the drumbeat for more coding. Now it seems as if the game needs further polishing. Who knows if this is the final code and game will be left with issues that are needed to be cleaned up.

#447 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I agree. There are a a few on Pinside that have a keen eye to pick out issues and bugs in a few short days. Don't understand why stern doesn't use them for beta testers. Might be that info could be leaked out and cause chaos. But it would help to prevent criticism and the drumbeat for more coding. Now it seems as if the game needs further polishing. Who knows if this is the final code and game will be left with issues that are needed to be cleaned up.

The smart thing would be to have people that wont talk or have them sign something so they wont say anything (I'm talking to you JPOP ) I would love to test the code out before it gets released. Oh wait.....don't we already do that already.

#448 6 years ago

1.5 gameplay footage withg replaced music to be seen at

#449 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

What's funny about that statement is that Stern already has the best debugger I can think of on their payroll. Seriously, is there anyone on the planet more qualified to play and test new code than Lyman?

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

it might be not as good as we all hoped but im happy to have his voice in the game thou

This is well said.

It sounds noticeably different pitch wise to every other call out in game. Yeah it's a bit sad that it's not perfect but it is much improved to not having it. I find it's still a huge improvement and feels a bit more finished then before. Some of the quotes are a big improvement from the old version.

It does go to show you that custom speech is by no means a guarantee of greatness.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 5,899.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside