(Topic ID: 101672)

ST Code Discussion - Update Coming Soon???

By Asylum

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 835 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Goonie
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

package.jpg
One-Billion_Dr_Evil-642-380.jpg
image.jpg
WarpC.png
cu.jpg
image-223.jpg
20140830_132112.jpg
image-749.jpg
image.jpg
image-626.jpg
002.JPG
250047-gornheader.jpg
image-649.jpg
Image-0x2008.png
woohoo.jpg
images-443.jpg
There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
#451 9 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I love the new code but I will never figure out why we the pinball community can find things wrong with the code very quickly and stern can't ,it is like it is not really tested by real enthusiast

But Steve personally tes....oh never mind.

#452 9 years ago

Sure you could have Lyman debug everything coming out of Stern, in which case he'll have no time left to actually design anything.

#453 9 years ago

I started a new thread focused specifically on Galactic modes, if anyone is interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-st-150-code-galactic-modes#post-1870341

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The other Galactic Events have no cue, so if you miss Admiral Steven's callout, you don't know what you're shooting for.

On the pro, relevant inserts are flashing, all others are out.

#455 9 years ago

Can anyone explain the Klingon multiball rules? I know it counts down the number of jackpots remaining as you hit them (red shots), and then comes the Super Jackpot, right? Is that a specific shot, or any of them? I've heard people mention a Double Super Jackpot; how do you get that?

I'm not a great multiball player so I usually just go for anything red, as a combo if possible. But it can be tough to notice everything and it'd be nice to know what I'm going for a bit more.

Has any of it changed in the code (aside from higher point values for supers, I think)?

#456 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

On the pro, relevant inserts are flashing, all others are out.

I haven't seen this on the Pro. I got galactic lanes and the lanes did nothing.

#457 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I haven't seen this on the Pro. I got galactic lanes and the lanes did nothing.

When you say lanes, you're talking about the rollover lanes at the top? Because that's what it is for Prime Directive.

I think I've heard "lanes" used to mean basically any shot that carries the ball before (ramp, orbit, or side lane like the left lane on ST).

#458 9 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

1.5 gameplay footage withg replaced music

Mod 'em if ya got 'em!

#459 9 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

When you say lanes, you're talking about the rollover lanes at the top? Because that's what it is for Prime Directive.
I think I've heard "lanes" used to mean basically any shot that carries the ball before (ramp, orbit, or side lane like the left lane on ST).

Yes I mean the roll over lanes at the top. I shoot the ball into the AT shot and it calls out a galactic event (sometimes) then it shoots the ball out of the shooter lane automatically barley giving me time to see what to shoot for for that galactic event. But I look and look and I don't see anything flashing on the playfield for the galactic event to shoot for?

#460 9 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

Klingon mb start is freaking awesome.

The pro version of a kick back is fine I guess... but couldn't the shield target lights be used to show the kickback is active instead of overloading the T insert.
-ben

+1's for both of these, make the Shield lights pulsate for example. Could this be modded with Pinball Browser?

#461 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a BS excuse to justify a poor mix. Why have voices there at all? I can't hear what Kirk & whoever are saying and the beginning of the Klingon voice is even obscured. Should you not hear any dialog in the ST movies because they're in the middle of battle? C'mon.

There are plenty of ST movie scenes with dialouge obscured by battle sounds. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's appropriate for the scene they were trying to create - a surprise attack by Klingons.

#462 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yes I mean the roll over lanes at the top. I shoot the ball into the AT shot and it calls out a galactic event (sometimes) then it shoots the ball out of the shooter lane automatically barley giving me time to see what to shoot for for that galactic event. But I look and look and I don't see anything flashing on the playfield for the galactic event to shoot for?

G lanes is toplanes. On the pro they all flash together at a medium pace.
G Ramps is left and right Ramps. The inserts flash Red and alternate as you hit them. Other inserts are out.
G Red matter is the red matter inserts all flashing together at a medium pace.
G Warp ramp the warp insert flashes green. Other inserts are out.
G vengeance, the vengeance insert flashes yellow. Other inserts are out.
G Spinner, both the left eject and left orbit flash aqua. Other inserts are out.

And on each mode the galactic event is the same each time, so before long you won't have to hear the callout anyway.

#463 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

G Ramps is left and right Ramps. The inserts flash Red and alternate as you hit them. Other inserts are out.
G Spinner, both the left eject and left orbit flash aqua. Other inserts are out.
And on each mode the galactic event is the same each time, so before long you won't have to hear the callout anyway.

Sweet, THANKS! Mine definitely doesn't do that. I should reinstall the software but verify this time.

#464 9 years ago

Just had a real good 100 million + game on my STLE. It is a tremendous pinball. To those at Stern reading the criticism: Thanks for creating such a great game. I think the game is basically "there" and just needs that little bit of polish.

#465 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

There are plenty of ST movie scenes with dialouge obscured by battle sounds. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's appropriate for the scene they were trying to create - a surprise attack by Klingons.

You're just being opposite for the sake of it. You don't program DIALOG into a pinball machine and then obscure it on purpose. The editing/levels are off. There's an art to audio, and in this instance...it's not artful.

#466 9 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

So 99.9% think Stern messed up and your in the 0.1% that thinks its intentional. I'm going to go ahead and say Stern will correct this and they did mess up. This is the reason we shoulds not just get one big update, but several smaller ones. The more in the update, the larger the chance of not finding bugs.

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

1.5 gameplay footage withg replaced music to be seen at
» YouTube video

Cool, I like all your Mod's except the one that turns the Vengeance saucer into a UFO but that's OK, just not for me.
I still cant understand how STERN can make a Star Trek pinball machine based on both of the new Star Trek movies and not have the MAIN STAR TREK MOVIE TITLE TRACK somewhere in the game. I know I can add it myself but I should not have too, it should be included. It defines the new Star Trek.
Other than that and all the bugs still in the game, their on the right track and I think Karl did a great job on the call outs, it's a pinball game guy's, not the next feature film.

#468 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Had a chance to play a bunch of games on the update....it's pretty cool. Hopefully we'll get another layer of polish, but the extra goodies really tie things together nicely. I love that Away Team is SOMETHING now besides just mode start.
The most obvious thing that sticks out to me that needs a little more work:
-The only Away Team/Galactic Event that has a visual cue is the lanes, as they turn dark blue. The other Galactic Events have no cue, so if you miss Admiral Steven's callout, you don't know what you're shooting for. Solution: All Galactic Events need a blue insert cue. They should use the small Enterprise inserts, as those are only lit red for Combos...in a Galactic Event, that insert can be blue (solid or pulsing maybe). In the event of a Combo, it can alternate blue/red (like the Starfleet inserts when events are stacked). For the Pro, a pulsing effect on the Enterprise insert would work.
-LE/Premium flashers NEED in-game light show code! Please! Asteroids, spotlights, speaker panels, backglass, backbox insignias do nothing during gameplay.
Audio issues I'd like to see polished:
-Klingon MB start is awesome, but the voice callouts are getting completely drowned out by all the sound FX. Some audio cleanup here would really help.
-Some processing of the Karl Urban callouts would be nice. I think when he's just talking to you as the player, the voices sound good...in that context, it's like he's your buddy next to you....but some of his voices are supposed to be in the context of a movie scene, and he sounds disconnected. When he yells "KAAAAHN!" it sound pretty cheesy, but if they added some kind of echo effect & fade it would sound much cooler. When you're in Space Jump, it would be nice if it was processed a bit with some sound FX so that he sounded like he was talking to you in your helmet com.
-Still on my wishlist: More sound FX for DMD animation during Level 2 and 3 modes. Example: Klingon 2 - When Uhura gets captured, there are laser blasts flying by but no sound FX for them. There are a lot of "cartoon style" animated segments, which are great...but stuff like that needs sound FX, like a cartoon.

All great points. However, I'm pretty sure his KAAAAHN call out is SUPPOSED to sound cheesy! He's mocking it from the movies.

#469 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

So 99.9% think Stern messed up and your in the 0.1% that thinks its intentional. I'm going to go ahead and say Stern will correct this and they did mess up. This is the reason we shoulds not just get one big update, but several smaller ones. The more in the update, the larger the chance of not finding bugs.

People are complaining about the levels of Bones new speech, not this particular clip; only Greg has mentioned it specifically.

It's no big deal, since if they do change it, those who like the original can just replace it from the old ROM using pinballbrowser. In that regard, it might be better to redo it so both versions are available.

#470 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

All great points. However, I'm pretty sure his KAAAAHN call out is SUPPOSED to sound cheesy! He's mocking it from the movies.

I agree. Made me laugh.

#471 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I started a new thread focused specifically on Galactic modes, if anyone is interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-st-150-code-galactic-modes#post-1870341

I was curious exactly how is Galactic mode started ?

#472 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was curious exactly how is the Galactic mode started ?

3 mission shots lights AT. Shoot AT and you have started the galactic mode that is attached to the mode you are in.

#473 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's a BS excuse to justify a poor mix. Why have voices there at all? I can't hear what Kirk & whoever are saying and the beginning of the Klingon voice is even obscured. Should you not hear any dialog in the ST movies because they're in the middle of battle? C'mon.

Ducking. Pretty standard stuff for audio mixes. The frequency range of the voice is heavily compressed in the background mix to allow the dialog to come through.

#474 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

SO HELPFUL.

#475 9 years ago

Was able to spend some significant time this afternoon with the new code. Very impressed! The new warp rules make those shots extremely valuable especially during multi ball. The 2X Scoring is also a game changer and definitely adds a lot of strategy into the game and whether or not you want to get greedy. My buddy was able to get his super ramps from the warp up to 8M per shot (2M base with double scoring and combo). The Galactic modes are a great new feature and being able to start them during multi ball is awesome. Found that the spinner mode is very valuable, while Nero targets should only be started during multi ball because they are dangerous.

Like how the virtual ball save works during multi ball as well.

Another interesting strategy is to do all three tiered missions at once and then get a shot doubled for the rest of the game. Klingon Battle is fairly easy to get through all three levels.

I did have a few questions that I was hoping someone would be able to answer...

1. Can you get 4X scoring going if you get Warp 9.1 and 9.9 going within 40 seconds? Came close this afternoon, but wasn't able to tell if I was getting 4X value.

2. Does double scoring (from Warp ramps) work during Kobiyashi Maru multi ball? Felt like I wasn't getting double value when I tried to cash that in. Did the KM multi ball ruleset change?

#476 9 years ago

As I mentioned before, they messed up the sound mix. It helps if you lower the speech volume setting. I have mine at -10, and it seems way better balanced now.

#477 9 years ago

FYI -10 is actually louder, not quieter. Maybe that's what you meant by lowered. Why they did it that way is beyond me, it confuses so many people.

#478 9 years ago

Well had a good game(not great but good). 179 million. Got 28 warps and the good news is the second time you get 9.1 it is double score again. Maybe that was mentioned already. Lovin this game.

#479 9 years ago

What do you guys have your sling power at? 32 was too hard, I moved it to 16 and seemed too soft?

#480 9 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

1.5 gameplay footage withg replaced music to be seen at
» YouTube video

I sure do LOVE!! your vid Rench and LOVE!! the music. Fantastic job on a great looking and a great sounding game.

Fellow Pro owner.

#481 9 years ago

Just put up 120 million. I am happy.

#482 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

FYI -10 is actually louder, not quieter. Maybe that's what you meant by lowered. Why they did it that way is beyond me, it confuses so many people.

Yes, it's very confusing. I wanted to increase the speech volume relative to the other sounds, so I lowered the setting from 0 to -10.

#483 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Just had a real good 100 million + game on my STLE. It is a tremendous pinball. To those at Stern reading the criticism: Thanks for creating such a great game. I think the game is basically "there" and just needs that little bit of polish.

Completely agree. The minor bits of criticism in this thread shouldn't get in the way of the reality that this is a really great update that made a fun pin even more fun.

#484 9 years ago

Just nailed a 13M galactic vengeance shot! Was pretty bad ass. Got a 22M Klingon battle too. 173mil final, not my best on the new code, but hit HS#1 and Getting closer to Amok. Going for it now!

#485 9 years ago

Well I didn't make it to amok, but I did get a 15M warp 9.9 vengeance scoring - score!

#486 9 years ago

Just had a chance to spend some quality time with my STLE and I gotta say this is a great update yes the sounds are sometimes out, but now I'm understanding the rules alot more and its a whole lotta fun. With abit of a polish down the track this game will be a GREAT title and up there with the best(my opium only)

#487 9 years ago

I agree, this is a much better game now. The bugs and polish stuff are definitely important, and I think it's good that we speak up about them, but that shouldn't take away from the big improvements in any way. Just needs a little cleaning up to get that shine going is all.

#488 9 years ago

There's really only three things that irk me about this update; 1. No pf indicator for when double scoring is active - apron lights on the LE? Flashers pulse on the pro? 2. 2X pf multipliers don't seem to work all the time nor does double scoring work in multiball (or it gets abolished and lost in the code). 3. Need a timer indicator on the of for missions. Again, use apron lights for the LE and flashers pulse for the pro. And/or give a 10 second count down call out.

#489 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

There's really only three things that irk me about this update; 1. No pf indicator for when double scoring is active - apron lights on the LE? Flashers pulse on the pro? 2. 2X pf multipliers don't seem to work all the time nor does double scoring work in multiball (or it gets abolished and lost in the code). 3. Need a timer indicator on the of for missions. Again, use apron lights for the LE and flashers pulse for the pro. And/or give a 10 second count down call out.

Pop bumpers and Bonus are pretty much worthless for as much time as the ball spends in there. Still don't know what the 'pops score 200,000' award does because they certainly do not score that much.

#490 9 years ago

True!

#491 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure that the top red and yellow flashers pulse while double scoring is active?

#492 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

I'm pretty sure that the top red and yellow flashers pulse while double scoring is active?

Yup. I get that on my Pro

#493 9 years ago

Regarding comments that Karl "phoned in". I see a more likely explanation. If you saw the Facebook update showing Ritchie doing voice recordings, you can see it's not exactly a recording studio. With the microphone in such close proximity, it's pretty easy to overload it. Put another way, Karl could not scream into the mic as he is often so good at doing to express urgency. That is the one thing common to all of the Karl callouts - they were all done with a moderate voice level. That's pretty limiting to an actor in an action movie.

Obviously the movie quotes had no such limitation.

#494 9 years ago

It really doesn't matter at this point why some of Karl's callouts sound as they do, they are a done deal. It's not like they're going to get him to do a second batch. So at this point the issue is to fix them up to sound their best, or drop and replace the worst offenders.

#495 9 years ago

Yes it's a done deal. But I doubt you would get a different result if Stern got Karl in for a second recording session with JJ Abrams in the room. The problem seems to be the recording facilities, not the actor.

#496 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

3. Need a timer indicator on the of for missions.

As the timer is running out, the inserts begin to flash faster.

#497 9 years ago

Shot doublers ***SPOILER ALERT*** for those who haven't got there yet.

Nailed the 20mil vengeance shot with double play field going and combo to finish vengeanceMB. So sweet. Put up many hours on this beauty today and it is just getting better.

I think there are big points available early if you get a shot doubler going and then go back into a tier1 mode with a galactic award based on that doubler. So much fun. My humble congrats to the team for pulling this off. Not that they care what I think. But now, finally now I believe moving out SM for ST was the right decision.

And all this new stuff is even before you take your tier1 results through to later rounds for the big payoff. There are going to be some huge scores posted by the good players soon. (Not me, lol).
Anyway, doublers are linked to modes, not like Spidey where you double what you hit first.
KB - LR
PD - LE
SJ - RL
StE - RR
N - LL
DtD - WR

Sadly for me, I was hoping the vengeance would be one of the doubled shots and was going to go for that 40mil shot. Doesn't look like I can do that now.

#498 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Shot doublers ***SPOILER ALERT*** for those who haven't got there yet.
Nailed the 20mil vengeance shot with double play field going and combo to finish vengeanceMB. So sweet. Put up many hours on this beauty today and it is just getting better.
I think there are big points available early if you get a shot doubler going and then go back into a tier1 mode with a galactic award based on that doubler. So much fun. My humble congrats to the team for pulling this off. Not that they care what I think. But now, finally now I believe moving out SM for ST was the right decision.
And all this new stuff is even before you take your tier1 results through to later rounds for the big payoff. There are going to be some huge scores posted by the good players soon. (Not me, lol).
Anyway, doublers are linked to modes, not like Spidey where you double what you hit first.
KB - LR
PD - LE
SJ - RL
StE - RR
N - LL
DtD - WR
Sadly for me, I was hoping the vengeance would be one of the doubled shots and was going to go for that 40mil shot. Doesn't look like I can do that now.

Sadly, the doubler for finishing a mission's 3rd tier does NOT work with the combo doubler. It should, IMHO, but it doesn't.

#499 9 years ago

Well that, sir, just ain't fair. And I reckon could be classed as a bug. Maybe. It's so inconsistent with the philosophy of this machine being all about combos.

#500 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Well that, sir, just ain't fair. And I reckon could be classed as a bug. Maybe. It's so inconsistent with the philosophy of this machine being all about combos.

Agreed. And it's been known, and documented, for quite a few code revs. Not just the new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-code-is-out/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.