You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

289366_(resized).jpg
289365_(resized).jpg
5225739bef7455d405ea0d8f9dc76d0214508167_(resized).jpg
SAM_Main_&_vacuum_tubes_(resized).jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

I'm thinking about picking up a ST premium but I have heard mix reviews about the finality of the code. Can any current owners weigh in? Love the flow of the game but code can make a great layout unreal (SM).

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I'm thinking about picking up a ST premium but I have heard mix reviews about the finality of the code. Can any current owners weigh in? Love the flow of the game but code can make a great layout unreal (SM).

Star Trek LE owner here and I think the code is great. My machine will never leave my collection.

#3 8 years ago

Yup. Great code on the game. Awesome sound. Fun Dots. Insane light show. It's a great pin.

#4 8 years ago

The code has really come a long way. There are still a few bugs here and there, but nothing major. It's a very fun game!

#5 8 years ago

Even better with the game music swap out with the soundtrack.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Star Trek LE owner here and I think the code is great. My machine will never leave my collection.

Ditto.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

Even better with the game music swap out with the soundtrack.

How does one go about swapping the music to the real movie soundtrack? Love my st premium, and think that the original score from the pin is great.... But the soundtrack from the movie is just awesome.

#8 8 years ago

If there is one thing I can say, it won't be the code that lets you down. I can see the mission structure of it getting tiresome for some people. Its easy to get in a rut by trying to progress through the game the exact same way every time.

I intentionally mix it up with the modes after catching myself doing that.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

If there is one thing I can say, it won't be the code that lets you down. I can see the mission structure of it getting tiresome for some people. Its easy to get in a rut by trying to progress through the game the exact same way every time.
I intentionally mix it up with the modes after catching myself doing that.

Or don't move to the next mode until you've completed all three levels.

#10 8 years ago

Well the debate for me is to either buy this now or wait for the Star Wars LE. With the current pricing structure, I would be surprised if the LE went for less than 9-10k especially if they put a LCD screen in there. I hate the idea of not being able to play something before buying it, but I don't want to miss out like I did on GB LE. I had a chance to play a premium at a collector's house and it felt great. I enjoyed the pro as well but those lights on the premium really pop. I wanted to ask the question because I didn't want to be in the same boat as the Wrestlemania people were for a while.

Question for the better players. Did you find it difficult to get to the five year mission? If you were able to achieve it, did you lose interest in the game? The brilliance of a game like SM is after you achieve super hero, the playfield gets insanely valuable. I know this isn't Lyman but I enjoy Dwight's code since I'm thrilled with my GoT. I figured he doesn't have much time to spend on ST with GB coming out.

Last question is simple. Is this a spike or SAM system? Thank you for the feedback.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Well the debate for me is to either buy this now or wait for the Star Wars LE. With the current pricing structure, I would be surprised if the LE went for less than 9-10k especially if they put a LCD screen in there. I hate the idea of not being able to play something before buying it, but I don't want to miss out like I did on GB LE. I had a chance to play a premium at a collector's house and it felt great. I enjoyed the pro as well but those lights on the premium really pop. I wanted to ask the question because I didn't want to be in the same boat as the Wrestlemania people were for a while.
Question for the better players. Did you find it difficult to get to the five year mission? If you were able to achieve it, did you lose interest in the game? The brilliance of a game like SM is after you achieve super hero, the playfield gets insanely valuable. I know this isn't Lyman but I enjoy Dwight's code since I'm thrilled with my GoT. I figured he doesn't have much time to spend on ST with GB coming out.
Last question is simple. Is this a spike or SAM system? Thank you for the feedback.

Star Trek is SAM

why do you have to have a LE? Going premium is he same game and you have plenty of time to find one and play one just like you did with ST. That way you can get SW with no regrets assuming you like it.

#12 8 years ago

ST code has a few bugs but overall good. I'm a decent player and still have not got to the 2nd wizard mode. Level1 missions are easy because they are timer based. Level2 and 3 missions require you to make specific shots and some have timers. Completing all those missions requires a lot of shots and not easy. Like the others said, it's still fun to play the missions in different ways and go for different scoring opportunities. Medals add a lot of fun and can really pay off in points. I really like the away team alternative modes and vengeance modes. Hitting certain combos like the left orbit to warp is extremely satisfying. I've had my pro for over a year. Not sure it is a keeper but not selling it anytime soon. Great game for all types of players.

#13 8 years ago

I have owned ST pro for 18 months and still love the game, lights, music, call outs etc, I only wish I could play better.

I have only gotten to the first wizard mode, not even close to getting to the second let alone the third.

#14 8 years ago

The code is solid - but it took forever to get there.
I wouldn't wait on an un-announced Star Wars machine - as a lot can happen if it's even a "fact".

I'd like to say you'd get your cash back if you needed to sell it; but capt kirk has a STLE forsale for more than a month... and it doesn't appear to be moving. :S

I personally don't care; because like others have said.... my STLE is here to stay.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

How does one go about swapping the music to the real movie soundtrack? Love my st premium, and think that the original score from the pin is great.... But the soundtrack from the movie is just awesome.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-all-music-replaced-with-music-from-movie-video

#16 8 years ago

I would buy a Star Trek premium over an unknown Star Wars machine.

Reason why I say that, is because Star Trek is a known entity with pretty much complete code.

We don't know yet how star wars will be.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Well the debate for me is to either buy this now or wait for the Star Wars LE. With the current pricing structure, I would be surprised if the LE went for less than 9-10k especially if they put a LCD screen in there.

No reason an LCD will raise the price. We've already been paying for all the R&D and new in-house animators over the past few years. The screen itself will cost Stern less than DMDs. The artists are already being paid. Use of actual movie footage will mean less custom art for the artists to animate. I predict zero price hike due to display. Remember, we already have JJP selling widebody games with a 27 inch screen for $8500...Stern will have a smaller screen, probably with less content...no friggin' way their games will be $9-10k.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No reason an LCD will raise the price. We've already been paying for all the R&D and new in-house animators over the past few years. The screen itself will cost Stern less than DMDs. The artists are already being paid. Use of actual movie footage will mean less custom art for the artists to animate. I predict zero price hike due to display. Remember, we already have JJP selling widebody games with a 27 inch screen for $8500...Stern will have a smaller screen, probably with less content...no friggin' way their games will be $9-10k.

This is capitalism man, just because we have paid for it doesn't mean they are going to cut us a break. As long as people keep buying, prices will continue to increase.

I bought the LE for GoT for the artwork. I guess I'm anticipating that Star Wars will be great considering the name and who is behind it. I can't see Disney letting anything get out without it being of the highest quality... then again there was EuroDisney

#19 8 years ago

great machine, I have the LE - may never sell it...

#20 8 years ago

For a long time I thought ST code was its Achillies heel and I didn't play it much and I listed my STLE for sale, but as GB was announced my pending sale fell through and I decided to keep it. Well boy I'm really loving the pin now. I've gotten better and gotten farther into the code and the more I play it the more I like it.

I think it's got a lot of facets with both the medals and the Galact Away Team to shake up the modes. Each mode can be attacked for more points and more medals which help later down the road as well.

It's not on the level of Met code but it's quite good IMO

#21 8 years ago

Star Trek is a great machine... Have a premium and love the game.... Different ways to play and the flow is great for combos. I love hitting the warp ramp over and over... Been able to get 5 in a row once I adjusted the ramp. May never leave the lineup.

#22 8 years ago

Just a few more points, the code is deep and wide, I don't expect to see all the modes in one game ever, but I'm enjoying playing different segments. And you can change up your strategy.

I won't say it's as good as my other deep gsme Tspp but I'm having a lot more fun as I get deeper. The level 1 modes are so-so but adding the GAT modes and shooting for more medals adds a lot to level 1. The higher modes are better/harder do that's good.

Not sure I like the two MB modes that much but Klingon Multiball is sure fun with the laser and black out mod.

Love the color changing inserts on the LE/premium.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This is capitalism man, just because we have paid for it doesn't mean they are going to cut us a break. As long as people keep buying, prices will continue to increase.

I think there's a breaking point when it comes to mainstream releases. 9k-10k NIB pins just won't sell, IMO. Anyway - I doubt I'll be buying any more NIB post GB...can't think of any themes that haven't been done that would make me bite. So - for your sake, I hope you don't get price boned on future games.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think there's a breaking point when it comes to mainstream releases. 9k-10k NIB pins just won't sell, IMO. Anyway - I doubt I'll be buying any more NIB post GB...can't think of any themes that haven't been done that would make me bite. So - for your sake, I hope you don't get price boned on future games.

Couldn't agree more. As much as I love Aerosmith, I don't love them enough to pay $8k for an LE. Star Wars at $8-$9k, I'll go in for the LE, cause it's Star Wars. Outside of that, there aren't any more dream themes left (at least for me).

#25 8 years ago

ST is a really fun game. No buyers remorse here either.

#26 8 years ago

As the ST code went through three versions for me, the games have been more enjoyable and challenging. The game already had great flow and besides, who doesn't like shooting the Vengence ship?

#27 8 years ago

Loooks like they have pros and premiums on the line now..... Went with the pro myself. GREAT GAME

#28 8 years ago

With regard to finality, there is supposed to be at least one more (probably final) update. However, don't expect it soon.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Did you find it difficult to get to the five year mission?

What's the "five year mission"?

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

What's the "five year mission"?

Level 3 wizard mode for getting through and completing all 18 modes. Kobiyashi Maru is Level 1 (First 6 modes), and Enterprise Amok is Level 2 (First 12 modes).

#31 8 years ago

The 5yr mission is the time it'll take stern to release that final code.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Level 3 wizard mode for getting through and completing all 18 modes. Kobiyashi Maru is Level 1 (First 6 modes), and Enterprise Amok is Level 2 (First 12 modes).

Thanks. I'm actually familiar with what it is, but was just being sarcastic given the OP's question of whether it was difficult to get to.

FWIW, I've personally found it to be very difficult (as in yet to be gotten close to after many many games played).

#33 8 years ago

I've never gotten close to Five Year Mission, and only ever reach Enterprise Amok once.

#34 8 years ago

I love me some ST! Code is great and the game is a blast especially with upgraded speakers and volume turned up.

In the 2+ years that I owned it, I never got to 5 Year Mission but was 1 mission away once. It's one of those games that getting 5 Year Mission is tough! Enterprise amok is really tough to get to also, but it's possible. Kobayashi is the real achievable mini wizard mode and its fun trying to get as many medals as you can before starting it.

You're going to be waiting a long time if you go for a star wars. I'd pick up ST now then wait and see when Star wars is released and even wait a few months after its release before deciding to sell ST and get star wars.

I miss my STLE that's for sure. And STLE is one of, if not the best LE all around compared to its other versions.

Quoted from Zitt:

The code is solid - but it took forever to get there.
I wouldn't wait on an un-announced Star Wars machine - as a lot can happen if it's even a "fact".
I'd like to say you'd get your cash back if you needed to sell it; but capt kirk has a STLE forsale for more than a month... and it doesn't appear to be moving. :S
I personally don't care; because like others have said.... my STLE is here to stay.

I think that's cause he's selling a premium, not an LE, and trying to get close to an LE price for it with one price drop of $100. He's in no rush to sell obviously.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think that's cause he's selling a premium, not an LE, and trying to get close to an LE price for it with one price drop of $100. He's in no rush to sell obviously.

It can't help that Stern is now (apparently expectedly) making ST Premiums again either.

#36 8 years ago

Even with a new run, I bet there will still be less ST premiums out there than LE's. They made more STLE's than any other LE before or since (800).

#37 8 years ago

Is there any drawback to this being on a SAM system and not spike? I appreciate all of the feedback so far. Leaning towards buying this soon.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Even with a new run, I bet there will still be less ST premiums out there than LE's. They made more STLE's than any other LE before or since (800).

Isn't this something like the 4th or 5th run? You have to figure the minimum would be 150 or so to make it worth their while, and presumably earlier runs of Premiums were larger?

Also I'm guessing these will sell out fairly quickly, both due to the increasing popularity of the title, and the fact that the new film drops in July. The rebooted franchise has done exceptionally well at the box office, and I'd expect them to make more machines after this run, unless the license is expiring.

#39 8 years ago

Hooray for the new run of premiums! Can someone hook me up with the alternate audio package so I'm ready to go when mine arrives in a month?

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Is there any drawback to this being on a SAM system and not spike? I appreciate all of the feedback so far. Leaning towards buying this soon.

Drawback? Like what? There will never be a ST on Spike so it is what it is.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

No, I'm glad it's SAM, tons of machines on SAM. Spike is already on it's way out after just a few machines. (Disclaimer, new MPU may still be very Spikey though)

#42 7 years ago

One further thing ... I kind of wonder if the 'final' code update will include any new stuff from the 3rd film in the franchise. They're obviously not going to do another completely different Star Trek machine so soon for the 3rd and 4th films, and if they're keeping the license it might make sense.

#43 7 years ago

I just don't foresee any kind of game-changing code update coming for ST. Perhaps a bug fix here or there...but that's about it. The game and it's intended code are solid and final.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

One further thing ... I kind of wonder if the 'final' code update will include any new stuff from the 3rd film in the franchise. They're obviously not going to do another completely different Star Trek machine so soon for the 3rd and 4th films, and if they're keeping the license it might make sense.

That will never happen. It has never happened in the past (Pirates, Iron Man, Avengers). There's no benefit for Stern to rewrite an old game with new content. The game is the game with the content it was designed around....the end. Amy code updates to an old game will be bug fixes or enhancements the programmer wanted.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Drawback? Like what? There will never be a ST on Spike so it is what it is.

Yea I know. Asking from a maintenance standpoint. My only machine is spike so I am not familiar with SAM.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Yea I know. Asking from a maintenance standpoint. My only machine is spike so I am not familiar with SAM.

SAMs have been working well for 10 years. My first SAM game was FGY in '07 and it's never needed one repair. As far as I remember, any repairs I've had to Simon a SAM game was something non-SAM related like a diode or wire coming loose.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Just be sure to check all the vacuum tubes each month and you should be fine.

SAM_Main_&_vacuum_tubes_(resized).jpgSAM_Main_&_vacuum_tubes_(resized).jpg

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Just be sure to check all the vacuum tubes each month and you should be fine.

SAM_Main_&_vacuum_tubes_(resized).jpg

I appreciated this humor, well played sir.

#49 7 years ago

I don't own one, but we play one in leagues each week, so I have hundreds of games on it. I would definitely recommend it and have no problems with the state of the code. The last update really added some cool stuff.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Isn't this something like the 4th or 5th run? You have to figure the minimum would be 150 or so to make it worth their while, and presumably earlier runs of Premiums were larger?

I honestly have no idea. It was pure speculation on my part. Have they really done that many runs of premiums?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.