• Latest reply 8 years ago by skywalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5500.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello. I just got done installing pinblades with UV light kit. Everything was going fine with the test run until a ball wouldn't eject from the VUK and repeatedly tried but it wouldn't come out (even though it did it a few seconds before. I then turned off the machine and turned it back on to find that none of the coils were working. I hunted down a blown fuse in the back box and replaced it. When I turned the game back on it blew two more fuses and this time there was smoke coming from under the playfield. I inspected it and found that the VUK diverter coil wrapper looked a bit burnt with a gob of goo on it. The shaker motor was also shaking until I turned off the machine the second time around.IMG_5500.JPGIMG_5500.JPG

I changed out the fuses and was going to turn it back on but thought I would try here first.

Has this happened to anybody else and I don't see any shorts near that coil.

Thanks for any and all help on this.

#2 8 years ago

UPDATE. I disconnected the VUK diverter coil and everything went back to normal minus no diverter. I guess I will call Stern on Monday and see if they can send me a replacement coil.

#3 8 years ago

So...you'll need more than just the coil.
Shorted coils (caused by too much heat, caused by firing over and over and over) take out the associated driver board transistor (or FET). You may have two shorted transistors now...one for the VUK and one for the shaker motor. Although, I can't see how the shaker motor became involved in this.

Time to haul out the meter and test the transistor(s).
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#4 8 years ago

The Shaker motor is now operating properly. The game is still totally playable as it now kicks the ball out of the hole just like a Pro model. Any idea on how to test the driver board with the game in its current state?

Thanks

#5 8 years ago

If you find the driver transistor which is powering the vuk, take a look at it. Does it look burnt or something? Even if it looks fine you should test it with a digital multimeter.

#6 8 years ago

What happens if this sort of issue happens with a spike game, cooks a coil or a ball smashes underneath flasher socket & shorts out, sorry for the OT

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/st-ball-stuck-in-vuk-which-caused-blown-fuse-and-smoked-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.