Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191031_130201_resized (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

I like both kinds of music, country and western.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

One of the misconceptions about EMs in tourneys is that they are often (incorrectly) referred to as "luck boxes". There is a lot of skill required to play an EM well, especially 2" flipper games.

More skill required. It can take hundreds of plays to get the playfield geometry down on earlier two inch flipper games that have a lot of side to side action on the lower part of the playfield with all the different flipper configurations.

Quoted from Dono:

I hear comments at shows about how EMs are bore-fests, and when asking these folks for reasons they feel that way, they typically point to a game or set of games on the show floor that shouldn't be at any show...

To be fair, some of the generic EMs that are on display are borefests no matter how much you high tap them or have them set up.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Totally agree, if you took 100 random EM titles and asked me to list the keepers, I'd list maybe 10-15 tops, maybe less.

I've been thru maybe 100, and the few keepers are mostly Williams 2 inch flipper games from the late 50s to the late 60s.

I went to one show where there was very little representation of those with zero reverse wedgeheads at all. But they had 100s of others.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Gottlieb made some rocking 2", Melody/Sing Along and Hearts and Spades (Spin a Card) are my two favorites.

Glad somebody likes them. Of all the ones I owned, the only one I kept is 1955 Frontiersman.

#39 4 years ago

I keep the ones that look good and get played the most by not just me. I listen to those that come over, and we usually agree.

Many have left in a couple weeks because of less than appealing art or gameplay that doesn't keep people coming back.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

I was a EM Gottlieb snob until I played a couple of working early 70s Bally’s and now I can’t get enough of them

Ballys were what we played in the 70s. Around here, their games always drew the biggest crowds. Gottlieb was when the Ballys and Williams were too busy or broken. Or a charity quarter or dime at the end of the day to change it up a little. The ops knew what we liked though and didn't have a bunch around.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ss-vs-emsome-folks-just-don-t-know?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.