5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Kugelhagelfisch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0805.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Out of the fifteen plus years I have been collecting pinball machines I have had most of the A and B title Solid State machines, now I am proud to say that I am 80% EM. I am not saying that I dislike Solid States games by any means but right now I feel EM machines even with their simplicity are so much more.

I just had to say it out loud..

#2 5 years ago

I am a pinball slut, I like games from all eras

#3 5 years ago

What games did you go through from then to now?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from burnt_finger:

Out of the fifteen plus years I have been collecting pinball machines I have had most of the A and B title Solid State machines, now I am proud to say that I am 80% EM. I am not saying that I dislike Solid States games by any means but right now I feel EM machines even with their simplicity are so much more.
    I just had to say it out loud..

I am with you. I have sold off most of my DMD pins and will be picking up 1-2 EMs in a few weeks. I've kept: WOZLE, ToM, BoP, Centaur
    I've sold: METLE, SM, MB, SS, IJ, WH2O and cancelled my order on MMRLE

I'm just to the point of wanting more of a variety. I enjoy pins from the 60's to current. They all have their own charm.

#5 5 years ago

Out of the fifteen plus years I have been collecting pinball machines I have had most of the A and B title Solid State machines, now I am proud to say that I am 80% EM.

Just curious if there was a trigger moment behind the SS to EM switch. Did you see someones collection, did you play a game or two or get one for free, was there one particular game that hooked you?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

Just curious if there was a trigger moment behind the SS to EM switch. Did you see someones collection, did you play a game or two or get one for free, was there one particular game that hooked you?

Yes, Inquiring EM minds want to know.

Ken

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

No trigger moment, I think what started it was boredom. I started with 2001 then went to North Star and after cleaning it up and having it play like a clock I just couldn't believe how much fun it was, there will "probably" always be Solid State machines in my collection unless I need to fund a must have EM.

Also this is probably over a course of two years it just didn't happen overnight attached was my gateway drug to EM's

IMG_0805.JPG
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I enjoy pins from the 60's to current. They all have their own charm.

Designers of EMs and early SS placed now-mundane pinball features, like pop bumpers, ball locks/saucers, Vari-targets, and drop targets proudly front and center on machines. Contrast that with modern designs where they do their best to hide those same features behind plastics, ramps, light shows, and in the case if drop targets, optional and out of the way. I like modern games as much as anyone else, but older designs feel much simpler and purer of an experience.

Edit: Plus they're cheaper.

#9 5 years ago

And he has an awesome big ball bowler too! Top notch! Can't wait to play the games!
    Joe

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I like games from all eras

I'm with you, Pete.

#11 5 years ago

attached was my gateway drug to EM's

I love that backglass! The mini-skirt on the ice-drift cracks me up every time! ...never played the game, though. Any good?

Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I love that backglass! The mini-skirt on the ice-drift cracks me up every time! ...never played the game, though. Any good?
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    http://www.ElephantEater.com

I think it’s a fantastic playing game, but like all of pinball it is a personal preference.

Quoted from jodini:

And he has an awesome big ball bowler too! Top notch! Can't wait to play the games!
    Joe

Thanks Joe, and thanks for helping carry the new five down to the basement!! I hope to have everything done by Christmas and you will be more than welcome to try them all out.

#13 5 years ago

Most modern DMD games do not have "on playfield" specials;
    On PF Specials were the staple of E/Ms;
    giving the player that almost got it thrill,
    and desire to want to play the pin again, to conquer the game.
    Even winning a replay on an EM by almost reaching the replay score threshold
    is much more tangible on an EM, than on any DMD.
    With DMDs you get a gazillion points without really knowing how you achieved them.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Most modern DMD games do not have "on playfield" specials;
    On PF Specials were the staple of E/Ms;
    giving the player that almost got it thrill,
    and desire to want to play the pin again, to conquer the game.
    Even winning a replay on an EM by almost reaching the replay score threshold
    is much more tangible on an EM, than on any DMD.
    With DMDs you get a gazillion points without really knowing how you achieved them.

Ball control is entirely different also. I couldn't name you an EM with shots that feed back to the flipper while most modern games or at least many have them.
    DMDs give you a lot of control to the flipper with a big focus on shot precision while EMs are more about ball controll when you don't have the ball on the flipper.

I think my second pin will be an EM. Maybe a woodrail or something with 3 inch flippers in an unusual layout. You just don't get layouts like that of Spanish Eyes from a new pin. Passing the ball from one flipper to the other must feel amazing on that pin!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 230.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 139.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9.00
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 49.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside