(Topic ID: 190266)

SS Newbie - please help before I have a breakdown!

By 4Max

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by 4Max
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4569 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Regardless of any transistor testing - think about WHY the coil fried??

Yes, it was locked on by a shorted transistor more likely than not.

Replace the transistor when you fit the new coil AND make sure you have the diode mounted on the coil the correct way around or you will be replacing the transistor again.

Also make sure you have ordered a new sleeve for the coil as well. Some come with a new sleeve, some don't.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

I believe that none of the coils on this machine have a diode actually on them, as the diodes are on the board in the back box next to the relevant transistor.
However the new coil arrived today, with a diode!

I assume I should simply remove this diode?

yes, cut it off

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

You should never replace one transistor in a string. The new one will possibly short straight away because of others in the string potentially being faulty.

It is good practice to replace ALL transistors in a DC connected string at the same time BEFORE applying power.

I wouldn't get too hung up on measuring them, meters all give different readings and transistors can often test OK but fault under load or when stressed.

All of these parts are dirt cheap - I just replace them all when in doubt. Sure, use your meter to quickly find a shorted transistor, that's easy - then replace all in that string and you will fix 90% of your issues.

The same as diodes across coils and switches, they are $0.01 each - I don't even bother getting the meter out - just replace them if in doubt.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

Thanks, Homepin.
So I should replace the TIP36, TIP102 and 2N5401 transistors, plus the IN4004 diode all in one go.
There are 5 resistors "involved" that tested ok in situ - do you think these are ok to leave in?
Similarly the 74LS374 TTL chip tested ok in situ (and all other solenoids are ok) - ok to leave this?
thanks in advance!

I would certainly replace all three transistors and the diode at the same time. I wouldn't be too concerned about the resistors but, when the transistors are out, it's pretty easy to run the meter over them just to confirm they read close to the original values.

The 74XXX chip usually fares OK so I wouldn't replace it for a start. In any case, if the 74XXX chip is faulty it might cause the coil to either lock on OR not work at all BUT it is unlikely to take out the transistor string.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

Thanks, Ronald. So I'm starting to understand. Chip goes low to activate solenoid (via transistors). Kind of opposite to what this EM guy would have guessed!
When you say measure with a DMM do you mean in volts mode or diode mode?
Thanks again.

Volts DC - with the meter set to the 20V DC scale (if it has different scales).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Union, MI
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Boards
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ss-newbie-is-this-transistor-toast?tu=Homepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.