• Latest reply 2 years ago by gripwhip
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5E956FED-6E85-4DDB-A2E3-DB65EA4F80CD (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Trying to get this SS to work correctly for Leaper/Frog #3. It registers fine using the switch test using my finger. A slow ball will also register the hit. A regular "fast" hit from the flipper does not register. I have replaced the switch and get exactly the same results. The metal tab that pops up the frog looks the same as the other ones. Any ideas?

#2 2 years ago

Mine does the same but it’s on leaper #2. I have not replaced the switch and assembly yet but it’s sounds like you did and it didn’t help. I’d be curious to know a solution as well.

#3 2 years ago

I'm unsure what an "SS Leaper frog" is but if it's a switch in an SS era machine then try putting a small cap across the switch - 0.05~0.1 should do the trick.

#4 2 years ago

I have the same but with all three leapers. Slow or normally fast hits always registers, fast hits is more or less random if they register or not. Work flawlessly in switch test manually pressing them.

It's annoying when you have the leaper mania mode or what's it called and hits are ignored. Also make the game feel wonky when the frog goes up in the air but no audible callout.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

I'm unsure what an "SS Leaper frog" is but if it's a switch in an SS era machine then try putting a small cap across the switch - 0.05~0.1 should do the trick.

Is that to prolong the switch pulse so the cpu will have time to recognize the hit?

We talking about 50 to 100uF here?

#6 2 years ago

I am glad this is not just me. I will try opening up the switch more, but I would think that the new one would have solved that issue.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

This was my thought as well. I’m not sure about this era Bally’s, but Bally’s from the 80s all had caps on the stand up targets and other potential troublesome switches to make sure fast hits would register. Connect one leg on the lug downstream of the diode and the other leg on the other lug on the opposite side of the switch.

#8 2 years ago

BTW, they don’t make the original switch anymore. I had to use a different one and cut off the back support with the foam for it to even “work”.

#9 2 years ago

Something like this?

5E956FED-6E85-4DDB-A2E3-DB65EA4F80CD (resized).jpeg5E956FED-6E85-4DDB-A2E3-DB65EA4F80CD (resized).jpeg
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Something like this?
[quoted image]

Hard to see the placement from your pic, but yes that type of cap.

#11 2 years ago

Yeah, that was from the net. I will try the gap first.

#12 2 years ago

Usually switch caps don't work on WMS switch matrices, but I haven't tried it personally on WPC switches - the earlier games (system 7) it causes the switch to 'repeat'.

#13 2 years ago

Well I tried to increase the gap, no luck. Made it worse in the sense light hits to it do not register. Tried less gap. I guess too close. It then stayed close. So I am back to where I started. I just wonder if I somehow adjusted the metal flap in front of the switch that makes the frog jump, but not sure what to do.

#14 2 years ago

Yes, a ceramic disc cap of about 0.1uf - it is a non polarised cap so can be soldered on in either direction.

The one in that pic is 503 = 0.05uf (same as the nominal 0.047)

I don't see how it could harm anything and it just might help?

#16 2 years ago

I hope someone come up with a fix. Please report back if the capacitors fixed it or not.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

Yes, a ceramic disc cap of about 0.1uf - it is a non polarised cap so can be soldered on in either direction.
The one in that pic is 503 = 0.05uf (same as the nominal 0.047)
I don't see how it could harm anything and it just might help?

I am going to order one. I don't have any. Tell me again which legs of the switch to connect it. The leg with no diode and the positive or negative side of the leg with diode?

I am also going to try to add a small piece of foam between the metal tab and switch to see if that slows things down enough for it to register.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Trying to get this SS to work correctly for Leaper/Frog #3. It registers fine using the switch test using my finger. A slow ball will also register the hit. A regular "fast" hit from the flipper does not register. I have replaced the switch and get exactly the same results. The metal tab that pops up the frog looks the same as the other ones. Any ideas?

What game Rom are you running? 1.5 Fixed bad switch logic on Leaper targets.

#19 2 years ago

I wish it would be that easy. I would just burn a new ROM. I am running 1.5.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

£ 39.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 249.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ss-leaper-3-not-registering-fast-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.