Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EJS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    #1 1 year ago

September 1972, Mabel DeMar with the help of her son, Lloyd Olson, bought S.S. Billiards, located in Hopkins, MN. They opened at 3:00pm 9/20/72 and an hour later their first customer walked in. Ever since, S.S. Billiards has pivoted with the times adding Arcade Games and Pinball to the mix with Pinball being the major draw of the establishment 50 years later.

September 1, we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the longest running Pinball parlour in Minnesota by inviting Lloyd Olson to share stories with us about S.S. Billiards.
    Tune in at 7:15pm THIS THURSDAY to hang with Adam, Bryan and Mark. We'll find out how Lloyd "Launch Those Geese (LTG)" got his nickname and has maintained this staple of classic Minnesota--nay, AMERICAN arcade history! Twitch feed is here: http://rcaderadio.live <--click and follow to get notifications!

LTG : )

#2 1 year ago

Looking forward to it. I’m sure the 50 year story could also make a great book. Rare for any independent business to last that long, let alone an arcade.

#3 1 year ago

Sorry for not knowing but what does the S.S. stand for?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

September 1972, Mabel DeMar with the help of her son, Lloyd Olson, bought S.S. Billiards, located in Hopkins, MN. They opened at 3:00pm 9/20/72 and an hour later their first customer walked in. Ever since, S.S. Billiards has pivoted with the times adding Arcade Games and Pinball to the mix with Pinball being the major draw of the establishment 50 years later.
    September 1, we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the longest running Pinball parlour in Minnesota by inviting Lloyd Olson to share stories with us about S.S. Billiards.
    Tune in at 7:15pm THIS THURSDAY to hang with Adam, Bryan and Mark. We'll find out how Lloyd "Launch Those Geese (LTG)" got his nickname and has maintained this staple of classic Minnesota--nay, AMERICAN arcade history! Twitch feed is here: http://rcaderadio.live <--click and follow to get notifications!

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I want to say Sam Snelling but I could be way off. No idea why that name comes to mind. LTG has mentioned it before but it doesn’t come up often.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Plain S S

Quoted from EJS:

I want to say Sam Snelling

And you would be right. He opened S.S. Billiards in November 1970 when the strip mall opened. He also had S.S. Enterprises, so he asked us to remove the periods after the "S's".

#8 1 year ago

Cheers mate. link works, but i can't sit through more than a minute of those guys.

#9 1 year ago

I don't think the podcast scheduled for today will happen. I haven't heard back from them on setting it up.

#10 1 year ago

Awww….

So, you might as well tell us about your
    nickname LTG.

#12 1 year ago

Enjoyed listening to your stories!

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Enjoyed listening to your stories!

Thank you !

It was fun and to reminisce. September was a big month for me 50 years ago.

#14 1 year ago

I assume we can still catch the replay on Twitch?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I assume we can still catch the replay on Twitch?

I believe Adam will edit it and get the whole show including me up soon.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I believe Adam will edit it and get the whole show including me up soon.

Sounds great keep us updated.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ss-billiards-interview and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.