(Topic ID: 287067)

Squeaking left flipper after changing coil sleeve

By Heisfranzkafka

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

The left flipper on my Jokerz has been a little weak after I changed the sleeve. I've cleaned the plunger and filed the end to remove any mushrooming. I'm pretty sure I got it all, but I am still feeling a bit of resistance when I manually engage the plunger. There's also a distinct squeak which I know means things are rubbing together the wrong way, but I can't identify the source. I recorded a short video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u_Sw-53llIDPXKhzjtnAGEkrgwYLhN4X/view?usp=sharing

The video sort of peters out at the end, but I was trying to replicate the squeaking without the coil in place and only sort of made it happen. This is my first pin, so I'm still learning the basics here.

Thanks for your help!

#2 3 years ago

Do you have a good gap with your flipper bat and bushing? There should be a little bit of "knocking" if you pull up and push down fast on the flipper bat (up and down through the playfield, not as a flipper stroke).

#3 3 years ago

There seems to be a good gap when I pull the bat up and down. Compared to the right flipper, the knocking is identical from what I can feel.

#4 3 years ago

I can feel the friction is between the bushing and the flipper shaft. Should I just buy a new bushing?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Heisfranzkafka:

I can feel the friction is between the bushing and the flipper shaft. Should I just buy a new bushing?

If you haven't cleaned the bushing and/or the flipper shaft it could just be glazed-over black crud built up inside the bushing and on the shaft. Also cheap to just replace with new bushings, and the flippers are the most important part of a game.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If you haven't cleaned the bushing and/or the flipper shaft it could just be glazed-over black crud built up inside the bushing and on the shaft. Also cheap to just replace with new bushings, and the flippers are the most important part of a game.

I need to put an order in for some pop bumper parts anyhow. Might as well add bushings to the pile to make the most out of shipping costs. Thanks for the input!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squeaking-left-flipper-after-changing-coil-sleeve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.