8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4690.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

So how the hell is a resistor used to affect timing anyway?
Is it used to change how long it takes for a capacitor to charge or something?

Yes, the resistor along with C51 form the oscillator for the 5220.

If subbing with a trim pot, I would use a 100K resistor in series with a 50K trim pot. That should give you enough variance around the original 130K without going too far out of range of the oscillator. It could actually be the value of C51 that has drifted out of spec as it is only 10 pfd.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Something else interesting... my board (it is a -61) has an empty socket at U10.
Everything I've read says there should be a DAC there, but maybe that is only on some boards?

My spare, dusty board is a -61a and it also has an empty socket at U10 (just noticed that yesterday!). I just ordered a couple off ebay to populate my spare board.

There are three sources for sound on the S&T. One is through the AY-3-8912 Programmable Sound Generator (PSG), This where simple tone and white noise related sounds as well as music can be produced (Think Early 80's Video Games). The TMS5200 for speech. And the DAC for complex noises/SFX.

FWIW, the board was from a Flash Gordon and the Date code on the TMS5200 is 8048. I have not tested the board yet (waiting for the AD558).

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Huh. I would have expected higher ohms to produce slower speech.

I agree if it is running an R/C clock network. It might be used for a VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator).

But I am thinking he installed a 500K trim pot and turned it down quite a bit.

I am having a hard time understanding the 240K (early run) vs 130K (later run) aspect. It makes me think they really had to tune the boards to various batches of TI chips. I know we noticed subtle differences from game to game when they were brand new but never anything too far out of pitch, I seem to recall it being mentioned on RGP years ago that the chips currently on the market could be rejects that failed to meet TI's specs at the time. So, before discarding a newly purchased 5200 that seems dead, I would certainly try the trim pot thing to see if it will respond to other R9 values.

I fired up my spare FG S&T in my Centaur this morning. With the 8048 date code and 130K R9, it sounded just like Flash should. I just couldn't tell if there were sounds missing (still missing the AD558) by just batting the ball around a bit.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Was thinking about this more. Wouldn't different resistor value be used to accommodate a lower/higher sample frequency? Maybe the different resistor value is because of difference in the sample rate of the source data stored on the ROM for some games.
Kind of like a 45 RPM record versus a 78 RPM record. You can have the same song on both records but they only sound correct if played at the correct speed.
Just an uniformed guess though.

Makes Sense but if that were the case, it would be necessary to change the resistor when changing game roms as the sampling rate would reflect the data stored in the ROMs and being sent to the TI chip.

Is it documented anywhere if the 240K matches up with a particular title? My FG S&T uses the 130K as do my Centaur and Eight Ball Deluxe.

#44 8 years ago

I suppose that is possible . However, my Spare S&T is a -61a and has an original EFG serial number sticker on it so I can't be sure about R9 on a straight -61 ( I can't find any reference to it on the net).

I wonder where games like Midnight Marauders (Midway Gun Game), and Discs of Tron fell in the R&D sequence for use of S&T sound? And the YouTube videos show MM stole a lot of sounds from Space Invaders Pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-talk-occasional-garbled-voice-problem-a-solution?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.