7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinkid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Greeting,

Working on a S&T sound board that I had working with an ATX supply with the original Eight Ball Deluxe ROM's.

I have installed new MMPM ROMs and changed the jumpers.

Now the board boots on the test rig but I now only get 4 clean flashes then on the 5th light up the LED locks on.
    With the led locked on pressing the test button causes the speaker to click.

Any suggestions greatly accepted and does anyone know of an online resource listing detailed process of trouble shooting for these boards ?

The S&T is a revision D.

Thanks,

Guy

#2 7 years ago

One rule of electronics repair is to always suspect previous work. Recheck jumpers and verify ROMs if you can. May need to put it back the way it was to prove it still works, then try again with a new set of verified ROMs?

#3 7 years ago

Does a locked on 5th flash indicate a fail at 5th or something else?

#4 7 years ago

The fifth flash deals with U8 speech chip being initialized by the sound CPU. The U8 speech chip sends an ACKnowledged message back to the CPU through PIA U7. The CPU pings the speech chip 9X, looking for the ACK each time.

Sounds like it is getting to the initialization step but failing to pass.

#5 7 years ago

Ok, I went back to original eight ball ROMs and jumpers and the board gives the 5 expected flashes and plays samples. I guess I can therefore assume board is still good.

Did the jumpers again for MMPM and the 5th led light up locks on.

Is anyone able to check my Jumper settings. The board is an AS-2518-61D and the Roms are 2732 in U4 and U5.

Im using default jumpers: L, H, FF, DD, N. This matched the board setup and requirements.

MMPM ROM jumpers: C, E, F, P, R, T, V, X, Z, BB.

#6 7 years ago

Solved it.

I looked up the possible jumper options for 'Eight Ball Deluxe' and noticed that one option had Q, U and Y connected.

After hunting I found they had zero ohm resistors in them that obscured the text and disguised the jumper areas as part of the permanent circuit. Doh.

After removing them the MMPM setup works.

#7 7 years ago

Cool. Stop talking and start chalking!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-talk-led-locked-on-5th-flash?hl=moonbus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.