You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

unnamed (resized).jpg
unnamed (23) (resized).jpg
STboardV3 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

just wanted to give a shout out/ thank you to Jeff @geeteoh.com for an amazing product...
Located in Illinois and was a great experience all around!
As it is a somewhat new product(he designs and builds them himself as a side hobby) it allows you to record and play sounds digitally on your machine.
At the moment he has sound banks(which are included) for Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man, Elektra, and Flash Gordon pinball machines. He has started recording the sounds for Fathom, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Centaur pinball machines.

The first board I received worked well...but had a few minor issues(mostly with functionality of some of the components on the PC board itself)
The sounds themselves were recorded cleanly and sounded great(I'm gonna need a new speaker, for sure!)

Jeff told me to hold on to the first board and he sent out a replacement that same day!
Needless to say the second one was perfect!

Separate volume controls for sounds/background, and voice allow you to fine tune the board to whatever sound you would like to hear above the others.
A micro SD card on the board allows you to create new sounds for your machine!

Old board was returned...he offered to pay postage...I said not necessary.
Have not tried to record any sound yet, but will add to post when I do!

I only have older pins that I try to repair and thus keep any upgrades to a minimum.
But my FG is the one I paid the most for and is deserving of a little "bling"!

I highly recommend the Squawk and Talk Replacement Sound Board from Jeff @geeteoh.com!
Reasonably priced, and super aftersales support...I'm happy to support individuals like Jeff who are helping the pinball hobby(especially now) with modern products that keep our pins alive!

Thanks again Jeff!

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (23) (resized).jpgunnamed (23) (resized).jpgSTboardV3 (resized).jpgSTboardV3 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Cool!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Cool!
--

I love how now the sounds don't cut each other out as your playing!
Really cool stuff...

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Randy_G:

I love how now the sounds don't cut each other out as your playing!
Really cool stuff...

I looked at his development thread. Very cool.
I'd love to see a side-by-side between OEM and the repro board, with the same switch closures.
--

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I looked at his development thread. Very cool.
I'd love to see a side-by-side between OEM and the repro board, with the same switch closures.
--

Good idea! I put together a little video comparing the stock Bally Squawk & Talk sound board to my replacement version. The main difference is that the background is not interrupted when a sound or voice comes in. This isn't as noticeable with the normal background sound, but it IS with the Flash Gordon 15 second bonus "alarm" background.

#6 3 years ago

I stumbled on this thread and the replacement S&T board as used in Flash Gordon with custom sounds is great.

I WILL be ordering one for Eight Ball Deluxe when it is available and now I NEED to get a FG again.

Check out this video.

#7 3 years ago

I'm familiar with Pinball Browser. How different is it to insert custom sounds on your board? Is it something you could explain? I assume you don't see a code...

Do you just re-assign sounds with wav files? If so, approximately how many different sounds are on FG? If there are only 10, I could see some sounds getting fairly repetitive...

Just finished re-watching FG and there are so, so many great quotes and sounds that could now be included in this game. Great job on the board!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I'm familiar with Pinball Browser. How different is it to insert custom sounds on your board? Is it something you could explain? I assume you don't see a code...
Do you just re-assign sounds with wav files? If so, approximately how many different sounds are on FG? If there are only 10, I could see some sounds getting fairly repetitive...
Just finished re-watching FG and there are so, so many great quotes and sounds that could now be included in this game. Great job on the board!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

The Flash Gordon machine has 37 different sounds that are commanded from the machine's stock MPU. 2 of these are repeating backgrounds. 15 are voices (phrases). For my board, these are just simple WAV files on a MicroSD card. Pretty easy to change. But you'd want to keep the lengths similar so that the sound card knows what's playing and can shut things off for higher priority sounds (voices for example, are higher priority)

#10 3 years ago

@geeteoh, I just realized your call sign is a takeoff on GTO. Duh.

I love what you've accomplished. Very cool.
How did you create .wav files for the original sounds? Simple audio recording?

I posted this link on one of your YT videos:
https://www.coinopcauldron.com/squalkart.html

I also watched the video where you captured the sound command stream. Very cool.
I though that Clive's document indicated that S&T commands were more complex than simple "bit pattern and strobe" as is used on every other sound board interface. I thought Clive indicated that successive commands are needed to command some sounds.

Does this jive with what you know?

Chris

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

geeteoh, I just realized your call sign is a takeoff on GTO. Duh.
I love what you've accomplished. Very cool.
How did you create .wav files for the original sounds? Simple audio recording?
I posted this link on one of your YT videos:
https://www.coinopcauldron.com/squalkart.html
I also watched the video where you captured the sound command stream. Very cool.
I though that Clive's document indicated that S&T commands were more complex than simple "bit pattern and strobe" as is used on every other sound board interface. I thought Clive indicated that successive commands are needed to command some sounds.
Does this jive with what you know?
Chris

Very good. You're one of the first to figure it out. I have a 1969 GTO. The license plate is "geeteoh".

As far as how I record the sounds... In some of my videos, I show my S&T Tester board (shield for the Arduino Uno). I use this to step through all 256 sound commands with manual button presses. I can save the ones that work (along with their durations). When I got them all, I play them all back and record them into my laptop. I use Audacity with a nicer USB microphone. I then break up the recorded file into individual WAV files.

I looked at the waveforms from the MPU in detail with a logic analyzer. Once the MPU is powered, the only traffic is either solenoid or sound commands. I didn't see anything else.

There might be a couple of special commands (bit patterns) sent from the MPU when upon power up. If they exist, they would set up the volume and if the background is turned off or not. (items from the Audit menu). The background sound is always sent from the MPU even if turned off in the audit menu. So there is SOMETHING telling the S&T board not to play it. I tried to find startup special commands and decode them when I first started working with the S&T. I had no luck finding anything interesting or useful. Once powered though, there definitely aren't any special commands with the exception of sound command 250 which stops the background sound on some machines.

If there are special commands or waveforms, they are optional. My S&T tester only sends out the 8-bit sound commands and it works for four of the games at least (MMPM, Elektra, FG, and EBD). However.... Last week I tried out the Centaur ROMs. I cannot get these to play with my S&T tester. So - maybe this game needs some special boot commands? I'm going to put this in a machine with the Altek MPU set at Centaur to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong with this one.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I'm going to put this in a machine with the Altek MPU set at Centaur to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong with this one.

Good idea. Very interesting!
--

1 week later
#13 3 years ago

geeteoh This is awesome. Is this something that I could use on Embryon? Would be happy to help test/troubleshoot as needed. Cheers!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

geeteoh This is awesome. Is this something that I could use on Embryon? Would be happy to help test/troubleshoot as needed. Cheers!

I may take you up on the offer. I work in Milwaukee during the week. I'll get a set of Embryon ROMs and get the sounds recorded in the coming weeks I need to test it on a real machine to properly get the background sound to start and stop. Each machine does it a little different. There might also be some other things that need alterations.

I'm working with another pinsider right now - Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Vector next!!!!

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I may take you up on the offer. I work in Milwaukee during the week. I'll get a set of Embryon ROMs and get the sounds recorded in the coming weeks I need to test it on a real machine to properly get the background sound to start and stop. Each machine does it a little different. There might also be some other things that need alterations.
I'm working with another pinsider right now - Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Vector next!!!!

Oh cool, yeah please do keep me posted. Happy to help out anytime.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

Just a thought- I was thinking of building a Bally LISY-35 board for no other reason to replace the sound effects in Star Trek.

If you could make a Bally sound board for the early solid state pins that utilized MP3 files for sound I'd be first in line to buy one.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just a thought- I was thinking of building a Bally LISY-35 board for no other reason to replace the sound effects in Star Trek.

If you could make a Bally sound board for the early solid state pins that utilized MP3 files for sound I'd be first in line to buy one.

To do this effectively you'll have to delve into modifying Star Treks game code, especially if you want a background theme playing.

The Squawk and Talk board has it's own processor. It takes the load off the MPU boards processor for generating the sound effects. The MPU board game program just issues a sound/voice effect command and the S&T board then produces it leaving the MPU board processor free to take care of other business.

The early Bally sound boards are just programmable tone generators. The MPU board processor has to control the tone sequence on the fly to create the sound effects. i.e. it doesn't send out a command like the S&T system, rather it has to spit out a bunch of tone controls of variable length to the sound board.

For example, on Vector when you tilt, the MPU board sends out two nibbles for an 8 bit command ($44 hex) to the S&T board and the S&T board then produces the speech "Help Me!". It's simple enough to interpret.

When you tilt Star Trek, the MPU board has to progressively control the tones the sound board creates by sending out this sequence of 5-bit timed tone selection controls to the sound board:
$12, $18, $0F, $11, $17, $0F, $10, $16, $0F, $0E, $15, $0F, $0D, $14, $0F, $0C, $13, $0F, $0B, $12, $0F, $0A, $11, $0F, $09, $10, $0F, $08, $0E, $0F, $07, $0D, $0F, $06, $0C, $0F, $1F

As you can see the sound protocol is totally different and not so easy for simple interpretation.

But maybe geeteoh has some other ideas on how to take shortcuts.

#18 3 years ago

@Quench, you are correct. The code in the MPU would need to be custom in order to even communicate with the S&T. I believe the wiring is all there, just the commands wouldn't be recognized. I could re-write the communication to work - but you wouldn't have much of a custom sound opportunity with the stock MPU code as Quench pointed out.

When I release the next version of my replacement S&T board - with Eight Ball Deluxe, I will have a "Custom" game title available from the DIP switches which can help those making custom MPU code. It'll make it easier than trying to map sounds vs voices vs backgrounds to an existing game. This "custom" title will have them laid out a little more logical. And allow you to use all 255 addresses.

1 year later
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I use Audacity with a nicer USB microphone.

I came across your board due to my S&T for Embryon frying twice now and I'm fed up with it and am totally going to buy one of yours (probably before you even read this).

I do have a question about how you're capturing existing audio. Why not just capture the sound right from the audio output directly from your testing setup rather than the speaker and microphone technique (which are both coloring the actual sound the card is producing)? I should note I have a background in audio engineering, so I think of things like this. In no way could I make what you make

Anyway, thanks for what you do, you'll have my order soon!

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I came across your board due to my S&T for Embryon frying twice now and I'm fed up with it and am totally going to buy one of yours (probably before you even read this).
I do have a question about how you're capturing existing audio. Why not just capture the sound right from the audio output directly from your testing setup rather than the speaker and microphone technique (which are both coloring the actual sound the card is producing)? I should note I have a background in audio engineering, so I think of things like this. In no way could I make what you make
Anyway, thanks for what you do, you'll have my order soon!

In the end, I recorded the sounds two different ways. The speaker/microphone method is in my backup at sound bank 2. The primary sound banks 0 and 1 have a more direct method. There is no low-level audio out at the connectors - just the amplified speaker output. It probably can be attenuated for direct recording but I tapped into the board earlier and got a real clear sound signal to record. Xenon, on the other hand, both recording methods sound very similar.

It's hard to compare stock board sounds to mine - but the voices are either equal or better depending on the condition of the vintage S&T board.

Ron from Joe's Classic Arcades did a video comparing my board to the stock one in an Embryon. Sounds the same to me. Most of the commentors believe mine sounded better.

If you are going to change speakers. Make sure you use an 8-ohm speaker. A 4 ohm one will overheat my board. This one from amazon sounds really good with my board.

https://www.amazon.com/GRS-Full-Range-Speaker-Pioneer-B20FU20-51FW/dp/B004CG38J8/

I have finally gone through all the S&T pinball games. My newest boards have the sound files and settings that support all 15 games (if you include Xenon). The printed manual that comes with each board is 64 pages long and has a section on the details for each of the 15 games. Bally used the S&T in a couple of other games - I have the roms for one - but probably won't release any support for them.

I have turned my attention now to the first Bally electronic sound machines. I'm using what I learned to offer custom plug-and-play sound boards for these machines. Way cool. Very popular. I have Star Trek and KISS done. I'm getting a Lost World this weekend. I want to cover Six Million Dollar Man, Globetrotters, and Supersonic as well. Not interested in creating one for Dolly or Playboy and not sure if I want a Paragon.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

not sure if I want a Paragon.

I have a really terrible desire to own all the Bally wide bodies, so it hurts my heart to hear you question Paragon that way

Really though, this is fantastic. I suppose I was jumping to conclusions assuming you hadn’t done this in the previous year that you’d posted, for that I apologize. This is a fantastic thing you’ve done here, and I greatly look forward to receiving the one I ordered last night.

For a while I desired to keep everything original, but that’s simply not gong to happen and I love being able to improve sound quality wherever possible.

Thanks again for all you do!!

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I have a really terrible desire to own all the Bally wide bodies, so it hurts my heart to hear you question Paragon that way
Really though, this is fantastic. I suppose I was jumping to conclusions assuming you hadn’t done this in the previous year that you’d posted, for that I apologize. This is a fantastic thing you’ve done here, and I greatly look forward to receiving the one I ordered last night.
For a while I desired to keep everything original, but that’s simply not gong to happen and I love being able to improve sound quality wherever possible.
Thanks again for all you do!!

Nothing against the Paragon theme or gameplay. It's just the "wide body" part. Worried about trying to get it out of someone's basement and trying to haul it home. Or moving it around. I have some of my games in my apartment where I work during the week. It's all in my head.

I understand the original vs modified too. My custom boards play a lot of the original sounds along with the custom items. Makes it so much fun to play. I actually now really enjoy these older Ballys and plan to purchase them instead of borrowing them for sound board development as I did with the S&T games.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

Worried about trying to get it out of someone's basement and trying to haul it home. Or moving it around.

I get this completely! All of my games are in my basement currently and it’s a fun time getting them in and out.

That said, I just moved an Attack From Mars remake out and it was a way bigger hassle than Space Invaders was, but that’s due to the head coming off easily, so it weighs less overall than AFM. I had to take the head off of Embryon as well, but since it’s hinged it’s not nearly as easy to do as SI, so that was indeed a bit of a hassle.

I have a set of Pin Skates that I use to shuffle around the 10 or so machines I have down there, but I found out the hard way they don’t work on Bally wide bodies (they work just fine on Gottlieb wide bodies such as the James Bond I have down here)

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I get this completely! All of my games are in my basement currently and it’s a fun time getting them in and out.
That said, I just moved an Attack From Mars remake out and it was a way bigger hassle than Space Invaders was, but that’s due to the head coming off easily, so it weighs less overall than AFM. I had to take the head off of Embryon as well, but since it’s hinged it’s not nearly as easy to do as SI, so that was indeed a bit of a hassle.
I have a set of Pin Skates that I use to shuffle around the 10 or so machines I have down there, but I found out the hard way they don’t work on Bally wide bodies (they work just fine on Gottlieb wide bodies such as the James Bond I have down here)

Pin Skates. I hadn't seen those before. I use four of the little 3-wheel dollies under all my machines. They work good but you can't get the machines close together. Learn new things every day.

3 months later
#25 9 months ago

Too Anybody that has this new board. When playing with original sounds, does the background hum pitch change as you play? Also is the guitar solo sound on the spinners still there after hitting the 4 drop downs?
The original background noise does turn on and off with other noises but the background noise slowly changes too a higher pitch as u play longer giving it a feel of intensity. I wondered if you lose this with the new board.
Love to hear feedback on this from people who have the board and are familiar with it.
Randy_G

#26 9 months ago

Got a fast reply from geeteoh. The sound features I mentioned (guitar solo, and change in background noise pitch) are not included on his board. So some original sound features would be lost if using as a replacement. Something to keep in mind. Still sounds like a really cool product to change things up. Love the idea of having Queen playing in the background as I play.

1 week later
#27 9 months ago

Has anyone using geeteoh's new sound board upgraded the speakers and/or added a subwoofer? Also curious about hooking up a TV sound bar with sub to one of these? I have a Fathom I'd love to rock the house with a sub-woofer installed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
7,995 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-and-talk-replacement-sound-board-for-bally-flash-gordon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.