New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 179012)

Squawk and Talk replacement?

By MtnFrost

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MtnFrost
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sqtkfinf (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I didn't see this in the archives. I know you can buy a complete board set for Bally Machines, that doesn't include the sound board. But you CAN buy a Say-It-Again daughter board. But is there a modern replacement for Squawk and Talk? I have a Centaur without one, so I need to know my options. Thanks

#2 3 years ago

Mypinballs in the UK makes a repo board. I haven't had any personal experience with it however and it's not cheap.

http://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

#3 3 years ago

Well that's expensive! So am I correct no one makes a repro board as readily available as the other replacements?

#4 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-squawk-talk-sound-board-gordons-alive#post-2215922

Sound boards are very difficult to design. There's a lot of signal processing involved, and some of the original audio processing chips are difficult/impossible to obtain, so alternatives need to be explored or reverse engineered.

S&T boards occasionally pop up on ebay, but they don't go cheap, and then on top of that, they will likely need to be repaired. Put all that together, and it would probably add up to being close to the price of the reproduction board anyway.

#5 3 years ago

You're going to love this. So for my Centaur restoration I need a Squawk and Talk board. I've been out of the pinball collecting hobby for almost 7 years now. And today I decided to clear the garage and inventory what little parts and notes I have left from better days. And inside a bally coinbox, wrapped in plastic, in the bottom of a bin, what do I find?

sqtkfinf (resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

Centaur requires a specific squawk and talk one of the connectors is expanded for the extra board. Think it's the 61b hope you lucked out.

#7 3 years ago

I have to look. At the very least I have a board I might be able to trade for the correct one, from someone whose game doesn't use the Say-It-Again daughterboard. Thanks

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I have to look. At the very least I have a board I might be able to trade for the correct one, from someone whose game doesn't use the Say-It-Again daughterboard. Thanks

If you have the wrong board and want to sell it let me know. Ive been looking for on for my Spectrum. It doesn't use the daughterboard.

#9 3 years ago

I have a correct working S & T board for Centaur(J2 has 10 pins) in case you end up needing one.

#10 3 years ago

I probably have several S&T boards but will have to check on the versions.

#11 3 years ago

Thanks all - jj44114 I sent you a PM.

1 week later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

If you have the wrong board and want to sell it let me know. Ive been looking for on for my Spectrum. It doesn't use the daughterboard.

So I wound up buying a board, so mine is up for sale on ebay:

ebay.com link

FYI

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside