1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinpal
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220629_185356 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I have a Bally Squawk and talk board which is not working. There is no -5v. So I'm thinking of replacing the -5v regulator. Question I have is: C47 and C48 connect to the -5v regulator. In the manual they are listed as ceramic 0.01uf 25v. On the actual board, they look like resistors...is this just a style of capacitor that I'm not familiar with, or is it a resistor?

20220629_185356 (resized).jpg20220629_185356 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Yes, caps can come in packages that look like resistors.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code#Capacitors

#3 1 year ago

Before replacing it, have you confirmed that the regulator has the proper voltage on the input pin? If it’s correct (and not too much ripple) then it’s probably bad, but it’s also possible that there’s a short or something overloading the -5v supply.

#4 1 year ago

The -5v regulator rarely fails. It’s usually the two 330uf caps in that circuit or the two diodes cr7 and cr8 I think, Which would cause the wrong voltage at pin 1 of the regulator.

#5 1 year ago

Midway made the boards for Bally and relied on an auto insertion robot to stuff the circuit boards. Each machine used a different tool to install different types of components. By the late 70s component manufacturers started packaging components in similar bodies so the parts could all be machine populated without changing tools. While confusing to us humans the robots could tell the difference.

#6 1 year ago

have you looked at the rear of the board for dry solder joints on the headers?

it could be the pic but the left hand pin of the 7905 appears to have a circle in the solder where the leg meets the pad?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

The -5v regulator rarely fails. It’s usually the two 330uf caps in that circuit or the two diodes cr7 and cr8 I think, Which would cause the wrong voltage at pin 1 of the regulator.

As a rookie and desperate solution, I have replaced both 330uF caps, both diodes and the -5V regulator.
    The input voltage is low at -2.4V dc.
    GI voltage is 5.7 V ac at pin 7 on J1...I'm wondering if the problem is with the GI return connection? Or the Earth connection...I will investigate further today

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinpal:

As a rookie and desperate solution, I have replaced both 330uF caps, both diodes and the -5V regulator.
    The input voltage is low at -2.4V dc.
    GI voltage is 5.7 V ac at pin 7 on J1...I'm wondering if the problem is with the GI return connection? Or the Earth connection...I will investigate further today

After a bit of furtling, I have - 5V. Probably a poor connection on a Molex connector on the back box.
    So, now I have all the correct voltages (tp2=5V, tp3=12V, tp4 =-5V)...Unfortunately the squawk and talk LED is locked on. No flicker, just on...
    Any suggestions greatfully recieved with thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-and-talk-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.