Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

My 8 Ball Deluxe LE sound was working great. Turned off and on and nothing. No sound at all and only getting the initial flicker (even though quite a solid light).

Changed the 6802 and 6810 - nothing
Checked all ROM's in my burner and all verify ok.

So I decided to bypass the 6810 and moved jumper L to K and the board boots up great! But some of the speech was then totally garbled. Not all just some but worked great before.

So logically speaking the issue is with the 6810. Tried a few more and no joy so figured the old socket must be dodgy. Replaced that socket nd moved jumper K back to L but still no joy!!

Any ideas?

#2 4 years ago

and if the issue is related to the RAM why would now all of a sudden some of the speech be garbled when it worked fine before? My understanding is the only difference now is that I'm using the internal memory of the 6802 instead of the 6810... weird???

#3 4 years ago

More info - when bypassing the 6810.

8 Ball - the eight sounds good but "Ball" is distorted.
9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Ball - are all total garbage!

All other sounds and speech are great. Nice bass sound to them and proper speed on the speech as before...

#4 4 years ago

So possibly to help someone else... My speech issues above basically come in to play with "Player 2" so I guessed it must be something to do with specific data lines.

Even though U7 PIA was passing the boot sequence - I again put another one in and it sorted the garbled speech issue on all Player 2 phrases!

So that's half the mystery solved and the game is working 100% again BUT it still bugs me that when trying the 6810 configuration it won't boot the 1st Flash after putting in a new socket and trying about 6 different new 6810's that pass testing on a spare MPU board...

Thoughts? (I would like to fix that as there is still a fault on the board even though not using that part of the board currently)

#5 4 years ago

Since you're using a 6802 CPU that has inbuilt RAM, is there any reason you're not just keeping the 6810 as a spare for another board?

#6 4 years ago

Hi Quench - it was on the board when I bought the machine and I never touched it as it worked. I have taken it off now for a spare as jumpered now for the 6802 and working.

It still bugs me though that the 6810 won't boot after replacing the socket (pinned out ok) and multiple chips

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from crazi:

Even though U7 PIA was passing the boot sequence - I again put another one in and it sorted the garbled speech issue on all Player 2 phrases!

The PIA tests don't test the actual I/O pins, well the port B pins have no feedback mechanism, the port A pins isn't quite so straight forward. A short externally on a port A pin can cause the PIA test to fail. This sometimes happens on the MPU boards that the PIA tests fail because an external decoupling capacitor on a port A line has some short to ground. The same will not happen on a port B pin.

Quoted from crazi:

It still bugs me though that the 6810 won't boot after replacing the socket (pinned out ok) and multiple chips

You'd probably have to get a scope out to see the activity on all the pins. Some signal might have become weak that the 6810 doesn't like. It may not stand out with a logic probe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-and-talk-1-flash-flicker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.