• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by crazi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi All,

So picked up an Eight Ball Champ 1985 yesterday. Have fixed about 20 different faults from playfield, flippers through to the CPU faults etc. The last thing was the sound board (SB). Got it fixed last night to the point where all sounds and speech is working fine but there is a loud hum on the speaker. The SB has had it's capacitors replaced before apart from a couple of 2uf ones.

I put in another SB from my Eight Ball Deluxe LE and the hum is gone so definitely the SB.

I swapped over from the good board the 2uf old caps that hadn't been replaced but no difference.

I have hung the board off the chassis but no difference.

I swapped the 5v transistor (heat sink) as they were different on both boards so just wanted to make sure it wasn't that but no difference.

I re-replaced the large caps but no difference

The speech and sound small Pots are working fine

The door Pot is working fine (cleaned and lubricated anyway) but as the fault is on the SB no real worries here

Volume goes up and down as it should with all pots

Resoldered the header pins and checked the earth connection

But this ?$$!!!£$^&** Hum will not go away.....

Any ideas???

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from crazi:

Volume goes up and down as it should with all pots

Does the volume of the hum go up and down when you adjust the volume pots up and down? It'll tell you if the problem is likely before the amplifier stage or in the amplifier stages.

How much AC voltage are you measuring at test point TP3 on the sound board?

This is where an oscilloscope comes in handy.

#3 5 years ago

Hi Quench

The hum goes up and down when adjusting the "speech" pot - not the sound pot. TP3 i'm getting 14.9v

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from crazi:

The hum goes up and down when adjusting the "speech" pot - not the sound pot.

So when the speech volume is all the down, is the hum eliminated?
How much AC voltage and how much DC voltage do you measure at TP4 on the sound board? TP4 is a -5VDC supply rail used by the speech chip.

Quoted from crazi:

TP3 i'm getting 14.9v

That's DC voltage, how much AC voltage (i.e. ripple/hum) are you measuring on TP3?

#5 5 years ago

When turned down you can still hear it but much lower obviously but it is definitely changed up and down by adjusting the speech pot

TP3 - I'm getting that 14.8 to 14.9 on both AC and DC settings on the meter.

TP4 - -8vdc to -8.3vdc on both AC and DC settings on the meter.

All readings on those test point come up DC even when I change to AC

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from crazi:

TP4 - -8vdc to -8.3vdc on both AC and DC settings on the meter.

You should be getting minus "-5VDC" and about zero volts AC at TP4. There is a -5VDC regulator that removes ripple on the output at TP4 and should result in a steady flat negative voltage (provided the input voltage to the regulator can be sustained below about -7VDC and no AC).

I suspect that "7905" minus 5V regulator at VR2 is faulty. You should check diodes CR7 and CR8 and also that the replacement C37 and C38 capacitors have be installed in the correct orientation.

Quoted from crazi:

TP3 - I'm getting that 14.8 to 14.9 on both AC and DC settings on the meter.

You should be getting about 100mv AC or less.

Are you sure the ground point you're hooking up the black meter probe to is valid? i.e. correctly wired to ground and not floating.

#7 5 years ago

The ground is good - weird.

I'm getting -4.9vdc on my good board so going to swap it over and see as I only have the 7805 positive 5v in stock... Back soon (the caps are good)

#8 5 years ago

That's it sorted! LM7905 buggered.

Cheers Mate - thanks for the help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-amp-talk-loud-humming-over-the-speaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.