3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a working Squawk & Talk in my Fathom. I picked up a spare Squawk & Talk that has original ROM’s from SPECTRUM. It does get 5 flashes on the LED on the bench, but I want to confirm the board works completely, so looking to swap game ROMs and try the spare board in FATHOM.

My FATHOM has no chip in U12. SPECTRUM board does have a chip at U12.

I will correct the jumpers for the game ROMs. What about U12? Should I remove it if I install the board in FATHOM, or does it matter?

Also curious, what would or wouldn’t work if the board was installed in SPECTRUM without the U12?

#2 3 years ago

The chip at U12 is a programmable sound generator. Spectrum must use if for some sound effects.
    You need to remove U12 for Fathom because the Fathom S&T ROMs don't configure U12 and the sound select signals from the MPU board are passed through it. The 5 'EE' jumpers just under U12 must be installed to hardware bypass U12.

See PinWiki for the jumers:
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Squawk_.26_Talk_Sound_Board_.28AS-2518-61.29

#3 3 years ago

As far as I know but I might be wrong, Spectrum also didn't have U12 installed and needed a board with the EE jumpers installed. Or didn't it?

Fathom, Medusa, Centaur and Spectrum didn't have U12 (AY-3-8912). Any more? It is not very well documented in the Bally service manuals.

#4 3 years ago

Embryon also didn't have U12.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

As far as I know but I might be wrong, Spectrum also didn't have U12 installed

Yes, according to Pinwiki, Spectrum doesn't have U12. Since this board is flashing the LED 5 times on power up, maybe the sound ROMs are another game and not Spectrum.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-amp-talk-board-swapping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.