20200126_140115 (resized).jpg
Spy Hunter - Instruction Card 2.png
Spy Hunter - Instruction Cards.png
IMGP0583 (resized).jpg
IMGP0582 (resized).jpg
IMGP0581 (resized).jpg
sh1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_031024 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Can someone who owns this post a couple close up pics of the flipper(left side)upper and lower.... Under playfield...i need to see the which wires are going to the coils and switches. Thank you.

2 weeks later
#9 8 years ago

Thank you so much, Grnrzr!! Trying to shop mine up a little bit and for some reason after I rebuilt those flips I cannot get the upper left to work...thought maybe I soldered a wire wrong...Thanks again for your time and help.

#10 8 years ago

Next question, I think my mpu is on the fritz....fire up the game and the score just starts going crazy without even playing the game, sound is delayed at times and not all the lights are functioning upon startup until I get into a second or third game upon startup...I either need to fix something on the board or break down and finally buy a Alltek board for it....anyone got any ideas? Thanks again.

2 months later
#14 8 years ago

So I broke down and finally bought a Alltek MPU...just waiting for it to arrive. I tried cleaning the eProm chip, changed the power regulator board to an upgrade, and still getting issues with the game doing it's own thing, so hoping the MPU upgrade does the trick. I just want to get this thing running 100% so I can go back to my Elektra and get that complete, all while I'm slowly swaping out a Solar Ride playfield for a better condition playfield I purchased....too many projects - they need to start cooperating!! LOL

Question I have is....so on my MPU, I only have one eProm chip that is dedicated spy hunter chip...so why is there actually 2 spy hunter chips but I only have one(the label is really faded so I cannot tell what it says) and looking at the picture of the one shown on ipmd it shows the same one chip like mine has...clearification, anybody?

#15 8 years ago

...and additionaly, after following the wires from grnrzr's spy hunter pics of the upper and lower left flipper, my lower playfield flipper works great, but I cannot get the upper left flipper to work....it's like the coil is only getting a little juice, but not enought to pull in the plunger- if I push the plunger manually into the coil while I have the flipper button pressed, the coil will hold the plunger until I let go of the flipper button. I'm stumped, big time because they worked fine before I went and meddled with them!! ugh.

Sight_2016_02_18_213128_894[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213128_894[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213146_268[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213146_268[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213149_153[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213149_153[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213159_310[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213159_310[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213212_389[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213212_389[1]_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#23 8 years ago

Update - replaced the mpu and solenoid driver board with new alltek boards. Everything seems to work great......except that upper left flipper(if you are looking at it from the playfield view). The other 3 flips work great. There seems to be a little juice going to the coil, but not enough, as I have to manually push the metal plunger in, and it stays as long as I hold the flipper button down, but once I release it, it releases like it should. Im stumped. Thought it might have been the black wire, but it's not. Any ideas out there?

#24 8 years ago

Nevermind....I got it!!! Whew. I replaced the new EOS on the upper flipper with the old one, and it works great!! Weird, but I don't care. Now I can finally play some Spy Hunter again.

1 year later
#31 7 years ago

Oh, you got yourself quite a project, there. If you need any assistance let the club know....I check the forum daily and will help you the best I can with any problems you might encounter. I have a extra playfield with some parts attached to it if you are in need of help...Good Luck!!

1 year later
#52 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just went through the manual and didn't see this covered. Can you set this machine to freeplay?

I believe you have to have the Alltek MPU board, to have free play....i don't think there's an option on the original MPU.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I wondered about that. Have to run a crapload of quarters through it so I can build up some credits. Thanks

Just set the credit limit in the settings to be N more per quarter.

1 month later
#78 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I've been cleaning up the Spy Hunter over the last month or so. Removed most of the top of playfield, cleaned plastics, buffed out playfield, touched up at the end of the shooter lane. I have done the ground mods, replaced C23 and C26 caps, and had to repin J3 and J4 due to a burnt pin on J3. Added Comet LED's and the Bally LED boards from them. Tried to fire it up tonight, the game boots, I have sound, no GI, and my solenoids don't work. All fuses test good. I have got to do some troubleshooting. Arrrrgggghhhh.......

check fuses first

1 week later
#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Attached a new lockdown bar bracket and handle as the old one was rusted and crappy looking. Is there supposed to be a return spring on the handle? my machine didn't have one when i got it but i got curious when i spotted the hole drilled in the handle. I've also had a go at a fresh look on the apron playing cards, the surround could be done in other colours but i was thinking something lighter wouldn't be as over powering... Thoughts??
I'm also considering designing some target decals as well but first thing is to get the restore done and dusted

I like those instruction cards!!

3 months later
#111 5 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Does anyone know where I can find a couple new roll over buttons? Bally part # 0017-00042-0681

Are those the buttons in the weapons section?

6 months later
#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Corntaters:

Greetings fellow Pinside members! I'm honored to make this post because I just got the pinball bug last October of 2018; just joined Pinside; and my first pm project I acquired last December of 2018 is a Spy Hunter. (All I can say to the SH naysayers is that I'm glad, and they should be, too, that they didn't pay for my SH.) As a newbie I'm just glad to be learning and to have available the dialogues and camaraderie with other pm hobbyists.
Anyway folks, I need help. This is embarrassing: I feel like the guy in the commercial where he fixes the plumbing, but when he goes to turn on the light switch, water starts to pour out of the ceiling fixture. When I got my SH, everything was working. The real plus is that the backglass is in very good shape, and the pf and cab is in solid, fair shape. The usual superficial refurb of replacing all star posts and rubbers were done, as well as the pf and outer cabinet having been cleaned. Under the hood was a different story with all the OEM. So of course, within the first 2 weeks, my first pm/SH issue arose: left upper flipper stopped working. I hoped it would happen a bit later than sooner. Looking underneath I found the plastic on the cam broken in two. So I bought a pair of rebuild kits and used half of one to fix that upper left. Also bought 4 coils (and new switches) and only used one for that upper left. Now I'm back to having fun and having ad #18 (I think) adjusted to option 3 to enjoy the music b/c I grew up with Peter Gunn, and it wasn't a bad show either. To keep up the fun I decided to replace the lighting board along with the incandescents with LEDs and new LED driver. Also, I bought one plasma pop bumper from Lightedpinballmods for my other game, but it didn't fit (b/c I didn't double-check the clearance needed). So I installed it on the SH, and even there I had to shave down the bumper body to get it to fit under the playglass. But it looks good! Everything is working and I'm having fun playing again and felt good about fixing the flipper.
Not having really learned the game rules yet, e.g., does lighting up the rollovers in the bagatelle really get big scores at the risk of draining down the left? I notice that it also takes some skill to keep the ball from going INTO the bagatelle b/c when it comes down to the pop up, then there's half a chance it'll drain on the left, but only half of that half chance if one takes the time to utilize the plunger skill shot to close the inner outlane. Still learning, experimenting...
Now I'm feeling cocky and in retrospect didn't wait till repair was actually needed: I decided to rebuild the right upper flipper. In doing so I broke a foundational axiom: don't fix it if it ain't broke. I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking as in days of youth that when I'd r & r the headlight lamp, I wouldn't change out the other side even if it went out only a week later, only to maximize its lifespan. Didn't take long for that frugality to get old...and now I may go back. When I lowered the pf, I replaced some of the GI lamps to different colors now that I had them. Now the moment of truth as I turn on the power. Big disappointment. The GI doesn't stay on; it only comes on for the split second when I depress either of the flipper buttons. Even if I keep both buttons depressed, the GI will only blink. In less than a minute, the upper left flipper starts to drop down while button is held...then the upper right flipper starts to chatter/flutter when I hold down the right button. (I will check the EOS for good contact, as others in this forum have suggested. Thank you much.) At this point the only possible explanation to offer which I don't even understand the process, is that I possibly reversed the wiring of the outer 2 of the 3 lugs on the upper, right flipper coil. (I took pics and I had seconds thoughts on how I read my diagram, but haven't yet taken time yet to check the photos for correct wiring.) I even went into an initial, temporary denial of this current loss of proper operation: I thought well this is different, the GI blinks upon flipper button actuation, how unique! Well after a few seconds of this I went into the anger stage and said this looks like crap!
In closing it's apparent I'm no electronics expert, but I've joined Pinside as a grasshopper with open ears and a closed mouth to learn from the learned ones. So I thank you all in advance for any DIY fix-it tips you might offer. Moreover to TheCapn, I really like your LED color choices, esp. on the backglass. To Mancave, I had to put on the shades as the shine on your drop target bank was too brilliant for the unprotected orbs. And both of you have amazing restore on your cab sides. I'm afraid to ask if it was DIYed or shopped out. Either way they look great! The entirety of the SH Club forum (as well as Pinside in general) is fantastic b/c it inspires and helps me to maintain, develop and have fun with my new found hobby. By the way...for the time being, I'm not turning on the light switch as I'm still feeling wet.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2328

Scroll down and download the manual if you don't have one. It will give you plenty of help in fixing and understanding your game. Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-thread?tu=metalkatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.