20200126_140115 (resized).jpg
Spy Hunter - Instruction Card 2.png
Spy Hunter - Instruction Cards.png
IMGP0583 (resized).jpg
IMGP0582 (resized).jpg
IMGP0581 (resized).jpg
sh1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_031024 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 6 years ago

I plan to do a partial restore on a Spy next year. Nice pf with factory mylar and near perfect back glass. I got new plastics and a new set of cab decals from retro refurbs over seas. We added a checker board pattern for the front of the cab around the coin door that inspired by the side art. At he bottom front will be Spy Hunter wording below the coin door. I rebuilt the flippers before putting it in storage until after my move to a new house. I was also thinking of going with a blue or purple T molding to add some curb appeal.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I didn't see Spy Hunter on his list of cab decals, know if he still has them?

I would email him and ask. IIRC, his name was Pete.

4 weeks later
#73 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Does anyone have a scan of the spinner decal? May just repaint the white on mine, but if I had a scan, I might print one out instead. Thanks

Classic arcades has the decal

2 weeks later
#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Attached a new lockdown bar bracket and handle as the old one was rusted and crappy looking. Is there supposed to be a return spring on the handle? my machine didn't have one when i got it but i got curious when i spotted the hole drilled in the handle. I've also had a go at a fresh look on the apron playing cards, the surround could be done in other colours but i was thinking something lighter wouldn't be as over powering... Thoughts??
I'm also considering designing some target decals as well but first thing is to get the restore done and dusted

None of the Bally games I have seen had a return spring. The Sterns of the same era do have a return spring. Of course you can always throw one on if you want.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Cheers, yeah i just wasn't sure. Seemed to be set up for a spring with that hole in the handle, guess it was just for looks or weight saving

The lockdown receiver looks great, where did you get it?

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

There is one of these for 1400.
Nice bg pf and new mpu board.
Never played this. not sure if it's a deal or not.

I think it is. Good backglass is rare for this game. MPU $200. If it has a nice PF, I would bite. I think Marco has new plastics for this game, just the tops, no clears. I think a guy in Germany sells the clears but are a little thinner than original.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Got a link for this?

He was selling them on ebay but I don't see them listed right now.

3 months later
#118 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

Looks good, but the fluttering might be when the coil fires into position it causes the leaf to vibrate (which is what causes the flutter) Also, you are activating the solenoids with your fingers, and that doesn't mean that they will actually actuate that far upon self power. Try raising the playfield and go into settings play with the flipper buttons and watch the flipper leaf contacts. hold a flipper button down and see what you get. Try applying a little pressure to the leaf against the contact when its powered to see if the fluttering stops. This is more than likely just some minor leaf switch tweaking that needs to be done.

I have noticed sometimes on new EOS switches that when closed had a high resistance. I found that cleaning them up with alcohol seems to help. Must be some kind of residue on the contacts placed on them for protection from oxidation during storage of the manufacturing process? They should be around 2 ohms max.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Yeah i was advised to do that also which i've done to all of the new EOS switches (even the right hand ones which are working fine). I adjusted the gap on the double switch stack on the lower left flipper and even swapped the EOS from the upper left flipper to the right (just to see if the problem swapped to that side) BUT no luck so far, the problem still persists. Bloody frustrating after all the time taken getting the machine back together but hey that's Pinball

Did this problem exist before the rehab? Take a look at the connectors and pins at the solenoid driver. Or any other connectors where the flipper wires go towards the pf or solenoid driver. Try a different solenoid driver, the relay might be bad. Also your left cab flipper switch contacts look kinda close.
BTW, nice job on the coil wrappers!

#121 5 years ago

I just noticed on the 3rd pic down, not sure which flipper, but the tiny coil winding wires look like they're touching each other?

#123 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

When i got the machine the upper left didn't work but it was missing the plastic actuator on the blade so i can't be 100% sure about that coil either. The left cab flipper switch in the pic has the button pressed in i should have mentioned that earlier sorry.

That's the upper right flipper mech which works ok.
I'm a bit stumped at the moment i must say, don't think it's an issue with the EOS switches. Would a bad diode on the coil cause the same issue> basically what's happening is when i hold the left flipper button in the left lower flipper stays up as per normal but the upper left is rapid firing like crazy ( i called it fluttering earlier but that's what i was on about).

Yeah sometimes referred to as machine gunning. My Meteor is doing it on the upper flipper as well but I put in storage before looking at it. It might be a bad diode but unlikely. I do know that the upper flipper get's it power when the secondary (piggy back) EOS closes. So with machine powered down, measure the resistance of the EOS after manually lifting the left lower flipper bat. Make sure 43 volts is getting to the upper flipper.

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Thanks for this!! Between this info and the following i've got it tracked down. After chatting with a local(ish) bloke he mentioned a test to bypass the switch stack on the lower flipper, so basically a piece of wire with an alligator clip each end, ground the non power wire (solo wire on the right of the coil, Left upper = black with yellow stripe) to the ground wire of the cabinet flipper EOS (orange) which fires the coil. This did the machine gunning still so it ruled out the EOS switches on the lower flipper. The next culprit in line was the EOS switch itself on the upper flipper. Now i already knew this was a new switch and had been cleaned, etc so it came back to the coil. I just swapped the coils left to right and the gunning' has switched to the right side..... ergo one stuffed coil

Congrats!

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

It's taken me far longer than i expected but the restore is pretty much over the line now. The play field needs touch ups but i'm not gonna try color matching at the moment. I just wanted to get it up and running again. There's a digit out on the lower left display and a couple of PF led's but they are loose wire issues at the connector. Anyone know if the display and light board connectors use a Pancon .100 tool to crimp in the wires. I have the larger .156 Pancon but not the smaller one.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your game looks stunning? I have new cab art for mine but I can't work on my games since I'm moving and all my pins are in storage until Jan.

IIRC, SH has the IDC type connectors for the score displays. Score displays are .156. IDC are less desirable then the crimp on connectors because of heat tolerance and the inability to replace the connector inside the housing. When I do a full resto, I replace them with Molex brand connectors and housings. In fact I change out all IDC's in the entire game on Bally games. Board connection are mostly .100. On any old Bally/Stern game you want to re-flow the header pins on the score displays if you find an issue. Very common for cold solder joints on these. And then go from there.

Also re-flow the headers on the lamp driver and aux lamp driver since you said it's a connection issue for the non-lit pf lamps, could also be bad scr or transistor on the board. That is unless you replaced those boards with new Allteks? Also if the pf lamps that are not lighting are the ones under the green boards that have the screw in bases often fail to make contact, check those the connectors to those board panels.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Cheers! I've got a 20 pin plug i can use for the display but i've run out of Trifurcon pins, pretty sure it's dodgy wiring on that plug but i'm going to check the header pins first. I have a new Altek lamp driver board so i could run leds on the machine. I have 1 led out on the larger light board and 1 on the smaller upper board, otherwise the rest is fine. Replaced the 2 top flipper coils and she's playing awesome

Yeah SH is an underrated game. Keeps you coming back for more. About the trifurcon pins. I noticed that when I used Trifurons on long connectors like the 20 position, the connector was very difficult to push on and caused the boards to bend too much, especially on score displays. Now I only use them on the high current wires such as power and ground. I think it's overkill to use them on the thinner wires and now I just use the standard 1 sided connectors for those.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I was thinking of a different style connector for some reason but i see what you mean now. I did a little reading and realised that the trifurcon is a modern style of pin so i understand what you mean about the one sided connector now I know a bloke that has some of those original style pins so i will be able to get that sorted very soon. Thanks again!

Glad to help, Yes Trifurcon is derived from tri which means 3, so the connector grabs the square pin on 3 sides as opposed to a single side creating better contact which is fine when the header is short. On a 20 pin, it takes alot of force to push the connector down when you have all trifurcon connectors. Not good for the PCB because it will bend too much.

2 years later
#160 3 years ago

Need help with some switches, I have a complete row not registering. Sling shot, S target, N target, saucer and boop ball. At first I thought is was at the connector, A4J2-12, brown wire common to all switches. I replaced the entire connector with a Molex type. No dice. I have continuity from J2 pin 12 to the all of the PF switches. Removed MPU and saw no cold solder joints and have continuity from the pin to the following resistor. Caps and diodes seem good by testing with VOM. Zero stuck switches in diag. test. All other switches are working.

Besides swapping MPU, any other ideas?

#161 3 years ago

Color poll. I want to powder coat the lock-down bar and side rails. I'm torn between blue or dark red. I have custom made cab decals and added red checker pattern to the boring cab front with a new coin door skin. I want to match the powder color with the T molding.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Loving this lately.
Gotta love a game with no right outlane!
FuckingRightOutlanesEatMyBallsPunkin

LOL I know what you mean!

So here's where old age and poor eye sight take their toll. I put in a known working MPU (two bits board with fixit rom with game selection for all Bally/Stern games). Switch line is working now. So as per Pinwiki, I replaced U10 and 11 with what I thought were new spares that I had. Fired it up and MPU locked on 2nd flash. I took a closer look to make sure I didn't put them in upside down, I didn't but the U11 chip was a 6808. Shit! I put in another 6821 and still the same, so what did I fry? Hopefully not U2 and/or U6 cuz I don't have spares.

#165 3 years ago

I also changed the 6810 U7 chip, still doesn't get passed 2nd flash.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I also changed the 6810 U7 chip, still doesn't get passed 2nd flash.</blockquot

I also changed the 6810 U7 chip, still doesn't get passed 2nd flash.

I don't know how I did this but I screwed up twice. The second time I put a 6808 in the U11 socket. Now that the correct PIA's are in the correct sockets, the MPU now boots and the switch row is now working. It might be time to boost my readers to a +2 FCOL!

2 months later
#167 2 years ago

I'm finally getting around to the Spy Hunter cab. I don't think too many restos have been done on the god awful Bally/Midway cabs. Mostly I think because decals are not readily available?

So I saw some lifting on some edges so I just decided to peel the decals away. It seams that the decal material is different from head to base cab. I start with base cab, pulling the decals off and it only took minutes. No chemicals or sanding. Left behind is a whitish looking layer on the MDF that is free of glue or residue and very smooth except where there is damage to the wood.

The head decals were much thicker and harder to remove but was still able to peel it away, again no chemicals, sanding nor heat gun needed. But no nice finish left behind. Just plain MDF, some glue, not too much. Some of the MDF fibers were pulled away with the decals so I will need to fill that back in. Time elapsed between last 2 pics was 6 minutes.

Any suggestions as to what to use to fill in the rough MDF? Bondo goes on thick and I don't want to spend hours sanding it.

P6120021 (resized).JPGP6120021 (resized).JPGP6120022 (resized).JPGP6120022 (resized).JPGP6120023 (resized).JPGP6120023 (resized).JPGP6120024 (resized).JPGP6120024 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lovef2k.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-thread?tu=lovef2k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.