20200126_140115 (resized).jpg
Spy Hunter - Instruction Card 2.png
Spy Hunter - Instruction Cards.png
IMGP0583 (resized).jpg
IMGP0582 (resized).jpg
IMGP0581 (resized).jpg
sh1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_031024 (resized).jpg
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 years ago

Just went through the manual and didn't see this covered. Can you set this machine to freeplay?

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just went through the manual and didn't see this covered. Can you set this machine to freeplay?

I believe you have to have the Alltek MPU board, to have free play....i don't think there's an option on the original MPU.

#53 6 years ago

I wondered about that. Have to run a crapload of quarters through it so I can build up some credits. Thanks

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I wondered about that. Have to run a crapload of quarters through it so I can build up some credits. Thanks

Just set the credit limit in the settings to be N more per quarter.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Pinwiki has a few methods: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Setting_Free_Play

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I had to open the door and flick a thing on the other side of the door that would load credits. I believe I could do it up to a max of 40 before it would stop.

Then play, reload as needed.

#57 6 years ago

I have my replay set low, it will award a credit even on ball 1 of play. That's been the easiest way for me.
-Mike

#58 6 years ago

^ What he said. It can be set as low as 10K. So, basically a good skill shot can award you a free credit - giving you the FREE PLAY ability.

#59 6 years ago

I got it up and running tonight. I set the ball count to 3 and the credit/coin ratio at 14/1. Ran a quarter through three times and now have 40 credits. Not the concern I thought it might be. Thanks for the pointers. Have done nothing more with cleaning than spraying the playfield with Simple Green and a quick wipe. I think it should clean up pretty well. I have to fix the top right of the backbox where the t-moulding fits, and the front cabinet leg mounting area. Going to follow Vid1900's fiberglass resin method to repair. Pretty confident it will work well.

#60 6 years ago

I have one burnt pin on one connector on my High Power board in the backbox. Someone had soldered one wire onto the back of the board to bypass the one pin. I would like to replace the connector one the wires and the board. What size pin connectors are they in the backbox? They looking smaller than what is used on my Rollergames. These are like a needle compared to a larger pin. Thanks in advance.

#61 6 years ago

Getting there with the resto on my cab. All the yellow was faded to white and a lot of the black was scratched and bits missing. I've got a nice set of shiny new rails to go on also when i'm done with touching up the artwork.

DSC03519 (resized).JPGDSC03519 (resized).JPG

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

These are like a needle compared to a larger pin.

From Big-Daddy if you want to make it all new.
ebay.com link: Bally AS 2518 18 Stern TA 100 Power Supply Connector repair kit pinball
-Mike

#63 6 years ago

Awesome, thank you Mike for the link. Mancave, what are you using to touch up the artwork? I thought mine initially was in better shape as far as fading, but after looking at other's pictures, I realize both sides of my cab are faded to some extent.

#64 6 years ago

Okay, I'm a little confused. Connector J3 is definately smaller than connector J5 as far as pin size. J3 is the connector that has the burnt pin. What size connector and board portion does J3 use? .62, .1, .156?

20180419_210510 (resized).jpg20180419_210510 (resized).jpg

20180419_210534 (resized).jpg20180419_210534 (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago

J3 is .100 and J5 is .156.
-Mike

#66 6 years ago

Thank you Mike. I knew they were different sizes, and figured J5 was .156, but needed to confirm. Now I know what I need.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Mancave, what are you using to touch up the artwork?

The black is just straight satin black enamel house paint although i found it was a bit too matt to match the existing cab decals so i added a small tin of Humbrol Gloss enamel model paint and it worked out pretty much exact. The yellow is also Humbrol model paint...Number 99 Lemon yellow which was a really nice match to the original yellow (going off pics that is). The red i had to do some colour matching back and forth until i got fairly close to what was still there. I'm basically just masking up sections and using my Aztek model airbrush for the small work and a regular sized spray gun for the black. It's sure not perfect but better than what it was The blue is going to be the difficult part to match cause it's several gradations of colour.
Attached is the cab before pic.

DSC03392 (resized).JPGDSC03392 (resized).JPG

#68 6 years ago

I redid the art for my game...

Spy Hunter Cabinet side art VERSION 3.0 (resized).pngSpy Hunter Cabinet side art VERSION 3.0 (resized).png

#69 6 years ago

I plan to do a partial restore on a Spy next year. Nice pf with factory mylar and near perfect back glass. I got new plastics and a new set of cab decals from retro refurbs over seas. We added a checker board pattern for the front of the cab around the coin door that inspired by the side art. At he bottom front will be Spy Hunter wording below the coin door. I rebuilt the flippers before putting it in storage until after my move to a new house. I was also thinking of going with a blue or purple T molding to add some curb appeal.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I plan to do a partial restore on a Spy next year. Nice pf with factory mylar and near perfect back glass. I got new plastics and a new set of cab decals from retro refurbs over seas. We added a checker board pattern for the front of the cab around the coin door that inspired by the side art. At he bottom front will be Spy Hunter wording below the coin door. I rebuilt the flippers before putting it in storage until after my move to a new house. I was also thinking of going with a blue or purple T molding to add some curb appeal.

I didn't see Spy Hunter on his list of cab decals, know if he still has them?

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

I didn't see Spy Hunter on his list of cab decals, know if he still has them?

I would email him and ask. IIRC, his name was Pete.

4 weeks later
#72 5 years ago

Does anyone have a scan of the spinner decal? May just repaint the white on mine, but if I had a scan, I might print one out instead. Thanks

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Does anyone have a scan of the spinner decal? May just repaint the white on mine, but if I had a scan, I might print one out instead. Thanks

Classic arcades has the decal

#74 5 years ago

I won't try to buy anything from classic arcades again. The last time I tried to buy stickers from them, they never sent them, and I had to get PayPal involved to dispute it and get refunded.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I won't try to buy anything from classic arcades again. The last time I tried to buy stickers from them, they never sent them, and I had to get PayPal involved to dispute it and get refunded.

DITTO!

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

This mob have them also.
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/game-specific-items/spy-hunter-spinner-decals.html

#77 5 years ago

I've been cleaning up the Spy Hunter over the last month or so. Removed most of the top of playfield, cleaned plastics, buffed out playfield, touched up at the end of the shooter lane. I have done the ground mods, replaced C23 and C26 caps, and had to repin J3 and J4 due to a burnt pin on J3. Added Comet LED's and the Bally LED boards from them. Tried to fire it up tonight, the game boots, I have sound, no GI, and my solenoids don't work. All fuses test good. I have got to do some troubleshooting. Arrrrgggghhhh.......

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I've been cleaning up the Spy Hunter over the last month or so. Removed most of the top of playfield, cleaned plastics, buffed out playfield, touched up at the end of the shooter lane. I have done the ground mods, replaced C23 and C26 caps, and had to repin J3 and J4 due to a burnt pin on J3. Added Comet LED's and the Bally LED boards from them. Tried to fire it up tonight, the game boots, I have sound, no GI, and my solenoids don't work. All fuses test good. I have got to do some troubleshooting. Arrrrgggghhhh.......

check fuses first

#79 5 years ago

I have bought hundreds of things from Jeff at Classic Arcades...he has tracking available on everything he sells...so I would think it would be easy to get a tracking number to see what happened. I remember he sent one thing priority mail to me...and it took 5 days to arrive and he is just 100 minutes away from us! Other things arrive the next day...but the tracking number showed they were shipped right out. Todd

#80 5 years ago

Getting a bit closer to finishing the restore on my machine MMM nice shiny rails

DSC03571 (resized).JPGDSC03571 (resized).JPG
DSC03572 (resized).JPGDSC03572 (resized).JPG

DSC03573 (resized).JPGDSC03573 (resized).JPG

#81 5 years ago

Very sharp looking. I took a quick peek this morning at mine before work and what do you know. I found an unplugged connector under the playfield that I hadn't seen prior. Hooked it back up and things work. Gotta tweak a couple switches and lights but we are up an running.

#82 5 years ago

I'm a little confused. I had my playfield out and on my rotisserie to clean and inspect. Noticed several of these green capacitors have one lead broken off. I figured that I bumped several of them before attaching the playfield to the rotissierie so I have resoldered them back on. Now that my playfield is reinstalled, I just noticed several more that are broken off on other switches. Enough of them to make me wonder if someone intentionally broke the lead. Any thoughts? I think every switch that they were resoldered to works properly.

20180527_142740 (resized).jpg20180527_142740 (resized).jpg

20180527_142659 (resized).jpg20180527_142659 (resized).jpg

#83 5 years ago

The caps were there to help the mpu with the signal from the switches. Sometimes when switches only randomly work this method of adding a cap helps.
-Mike

#84 5 years ago

So regardless, I should resolder them back on. Probably just a coincidence that a bunch were broken. Thank you.

#85 5 years ago

Those caps were cut for a reason, don't reconnect them. As they age they dry out and begin to fail which causes a bunch of issues like phantom switch hits or pops firing. The game will work fine without them. You can buy replacements for about $0.15 each from great plains or other sources if you want to keep the game original.

#86 5 years ago

Ok. They definitely look like they were cut. I will make sure they are all cut. Thx

1 week later
#87 5 years ago

Attached a new lockdown bar bracket and handle as the old one was rusted and crappy looking. Is there supposed to be a return spring on the handle? my machine didn't have one when i got it but i got curious when i spotted the hole drilled in the handle. I've also had a go at a fresh look on the apron playing cards, the surround could be done in other colours but i was thinking something lighter wouldn't be as over powering... Thoughts??
I'm also considering designing some target decals as well but first thing is to get the restore done and dusted

DSC03580 (resized).JPGDSC03580 (resized).JPGDSC03582 (resized).JPGDSC03582 (resized).JPGDSC03583 (resized).JPGDSC03583 (resized).JPG
#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Attached a new lockdown bar bracket and handle as the old one was rusted and crappy looking. Is there supposed to be a return spring on the handle? my machine didn't have one when i got it but i got curious when i spotted the hole drilled in the handle. I've also had a go at a fresh look on the apron playing cards, the surround could be done in other colours but i was thinking something lighter wouldn't be as over powering... Thoughts??
I'm also considering designing some target decals as well but first thing is to get the restore done and dusted

I like those instruction cards!!

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

None of the Bally games I have seen had a return spring. The Sterns of the same era do have a return spring. Of course you can always throw one on if you want.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

None of the Bally games I have seen had a return spring. The Sterns of the same era do have a return spring. Of course you can always throw one on if you want

Cheers, yeah i just wasn't sure. Seemed to be set up for a spring with that hole in the handle, guess it was just for looks or weight saving

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Cheers, yeah i just wasn't sure. Seemed to be set up for a spring with that hole in the handle, guess it was just for looks or weight saving

The lockdown receiver looks great, where did you get it?

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

The lockdown receiver looks great, where did you get it?

From this place here in Oz, it was the only place i could find them.
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_297&products_id=3903

And remember, that's $140 in Oz dollars so at current conversion rate that's about $106 US.

#93 5 years ago

There is one of these for 1400.
Nice bg pf and new mpu board.
Never played this. not sure if it's a deal or not.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

So as kid it was my go to arcade game and lots of quarters left my hand to play it, just obsessed,maybe it was the music.
So I had to get the pinball machine as it just made sense. Having a good BG is major points. Led it right away to protect it from heat. The Alltek mpu is good as it's a no headache type board that you can switch out or around if you should choose. This machine is hard and don't let anyone fool you otherwise. The left out lanes will have you swearing in a made up jibberish language that's unheard of, still I keep coming back. Mine is on five ball to try and keep my sanity and to at least score in the millions
Offer $1200 to 1250 and good luck, this thing will punish you like Flash Gordon!
-Mike

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

I think it is. Good backglass is rare for this game. MPU $200. If it has a nice PF, I would bite. I think Marco has new plastics for this game, just the tops, no clears. I think a guy in Germany sells the clears but are a little thinner than original.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

I think a guy in Germany sells the clears but are a little thinner than original.

Got a link for this?

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Got a link for this?

He was selling them on ebay but I don't see them listed right now.

3 weeks later
#98 5 years ago

Is there a flipper rebuild kit available for all 4 flippers, or would I have to buy two separate rebuild kits? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

This game has one of the best 80's backglass. Someone should do a translite at least.

A friend of mine actually owns the original painting which the backglass was based upon. In person, it's very cool and very outstanding work.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Is there a flipper rebuild kit available for all 4 flippers, or would I have to buy two separate rebuild kits? Any recommendations?
Thanks.

A couple of years ago when i did mine. I had to order each part seperately. Dont know if there is a kit for all 4 flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.