20200126_140115 (resized).jpg
Spy Hunter - Instruction Card 2.png
Spy Hunter - Instruction Cards.png
IMGP0583 (resized).jpg
IMGP0582 (resized).jpg
IMGP0581 (resized).jpg
sh1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190413_031024 (resized).jpg
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

Some people hate it and some people love it. Either way lets give this game a page for those that need help or want to talk about it. I have owned two of these machines so far. First one was a quick flip, but my wife missed it and wanted another one. So, I got a fixer upper and now it looks better than ever. I'll post some pics when I'm able.

1 month later
#2 8 years ago

Can someone who owns this post a couple close up pics of the flipper(left side)upper and lower.... Under playfield...i need to see the which wires are going to the coils and switches. Thank you.

#3 8 years ago

Here are some quick pics with my iPhone, this is the lower left flipper

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#4 8 years ago

And this is the upper left;

image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Looks like I have some clean up to do on solder joints. Lol. If you need more pics let me know

#5 8 years ago

First game I bought and I personally like it a lot. It's not the best, but it's fun. Two issues that people seem to have with the game:
- Aside from the title and some music, it's nothing like the video game that inspired it
- The flippers are offset to the right, causing 2 outlanes to the left

The flipper location never bothered me, and I think the game plays well, has 4 flippers total, baggette area, you can lock down one of the outlanes to the left with a plunger skill shot.

It's all good. Is this an official club thread??

#6 8 years ago

Rando, yes. This is the official club for Spy Hunter fans. This game was my first SS game to buy. I sold it months later, and then for some reason missed it. So years later i bought another one and completely rebuilt the machine.

#7 8 years ago

I looked through the manual and I can't find the answer. How do you enable the shoot again/ball save function?

Thanks.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from ZZZ_spy_hunter:

I looked through the manual and I can't find the answer. How do you enable the shoot again/ball save function?

If it exists I don't have this enabled on my machine, and I recently reset to defaults after changing to NVRAM. The Shoot Again feature works when you earn an extra ball during gameplay. Not sure if you can enable ball save.

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

Thank you so much, Grnrzr!! Trying to shop mine up a little bit and for some reason after I rebuilt those flips I cannot get the upper left to work...thought maybe I soldered a wire wrong...Thanks again for your time and help.

#10 8 years ago

Next question, I think my mpu is on the fritz....fire up the game and the score just starts going crazy without even playing the game, sound is delayed at times and not all the lights are functioning upon startup until I get into a second or third game upon startup...I either need to fix something on the board or break down and finally buy a Alltek board for it....anyone got any ideas? Thanks again.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Next question, I think my mpu is on the fritz....fire up the game and the score just starts going crazy without even playing the game, sound is delayed at times and not all the lights are functioning upon startup until I get into a second or third game upon startup...I either need to fix something on the board or break down and finally buy a Alltek board for it....anyone got any ideas? Thanks again.

This sometimes happens with bad caps on power supply,as the machine runs abit the caps level out and some issues go away. You need clean power to mpu. With your thumb press down on the chips to see if thing clear up or get worse,you may need to re-socket the chips. Just some ideas

#12 8 years ago

One thing I've always wanted to do with this game is figure out a way to take the sound package from the video game and swap it into the pin. That would add a tremendous amount to it I believe. My recollection is that the sound in the vid was somewhat randomly generated but sticking to the base theme. Anybody out there think this could be done?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Verify your voltage with the manual. If you're not getting correct voltage you will see all kinds of issues that look like they are not related, but are in fact all from the same source. When it comes to either replacing the MPU or fixing it - that depends on how much time and money you want to throw into it. If you are handy with soldering you can replace all caps on the MPU for around $20 if you shop right. With alltek you get quality new parts - that can also run other games though. Depends on you. Either way you are good.

2 months later
#14 8 years ago

So I broke down and finally bought a Alltek MPU...just waiting for it to arrive. I tried cleaning the eProm chip, changed the power regulator board to an upgrade, and still getting issues with the game doing it's own thing, so hoping the MPU upgrade does the trick. I just want to get this thing running 100% so I can go back to my Elektra and get that complete, all while I'm slowly swaping out a Solar Ride playfield for a better condition playfield I purchased....too many projects - they need to start cooperating!! LOL

Question I have is....so on my MPU, I only have one eProm chip that is dedicated spy hunter chip...so why is there actually 2 spy hunter chips but I only have one(the label is really faded so I cannot tell what it says) and looking at the picture of the one shown on ipmd it shows the same one chip like mine has...clearification, anybody?

#15 8 years ago

...and additionaly, after following the wires from grnrzr's spy hunter pics of the upper and lower left flipper, my lower playfield flipper works great, but I cannot get the upper left flipper to work....it's like the coil is only getting a little juice, but not enought to pull in the plunger- if I push the plunger manually into the coil while I have the flipper button pressed, the coil will hold the plunger until I let go of the flipper button. I'm stumped, big time because they worked fine before I went and meddled with them!! ugh.

Sight_2016_02_18_213128_894[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213128_894[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213146_268[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213146_268[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213149_153[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213149_153[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213159_310[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213159_310[1]_(resized).jpg

Sight_2016_02_18_213212_389[1]_(resized).jpgSight_2016_02_18_213212_389[1]_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

So I broke down and finally bought a Alltek MPU...just waiting for it to arrive. I tried cleaning the eProm chip, changed the power regulator board to an upgrade, and still getting issues with the game doing it's own thing, so hoping the MPU upgrade does the trick. I just want to get this thing running 100% so I can go back to my Elektra and get that complete, all while I'm slowly swaping out a Solar Ride playfield for a better condition playfield I purchased....too many projects - they need to start cooperating!! LOL
Question I have is....so on my MPU, I only have one eProm chip that is dedicated spy hunter chip...so why is there actually 2 spy hunter chips but I only have one(the label is really faded so I cannot tell what it says) and looking at the picture of the one shown on ipmd it shows the same one chip like mine has...clearification, anybody?

I would love to compare the wiring you have with mine, but I actually just moved mine into storage for the time being. Fixing to sell the house. Need more room for more machines!!! lol. I would say lets wait on your new MPU and see what happens.

#17 8 years ago

Official club for spy Hunter fans!? Sweet count me in!

#18 8 years ago

Upper flipper not working usually means the switch on the bottom flipper needs adjusting. Should be two leafs sections on that bottom flipper. One to get the bottom flipper to work and the 2nd set of leafs to send power to upper flipper.

OR THE switch on the upper flipper is out of adjustment.

#19 8 years ago

I just part OUt Spy Hunter if you need parts from the bottom of the playfield let me know like light boards coils and assemblies

#21 8 years ago

One dimensional game.. just back hand the right hole the whole time.

#22 8 years ago

I don't think it's a one dimensional game. To score big points, you want to advance the shots at the top and bagatelle before hitting the right hole to advance the multiplier.

1 week later
#23 8 years ago

Update - replaced the mpu and solenoid driver board with new alltek boards. Everything seems to work great......except that upper left flipper(if you are looking at it from the playfield view). The other 3 flips work great. There seems to be a little juice going to the coil, but not enough, as I have to manually push the metal plunger in, and it stays as long as I hold the flipper button down, but once I release it, it releases like it should. Im stumped. Thought it might have been the black wire, but it's not. Any ideas out there?

#24 8 years ago

Nevermind....I got it!!! Whew. I replaced the new EOS on the upper flipper with the old one, and it works great!! Weird, but I don't care. Now I can finally play some Spy Hunter again.

#25 8 years ago

Good! Glad you got it going! With new boards that game should last a long time!

#26 8 years ago

I miss mine...

6 months later
#27 7 years ago

Okay guys. Here is my SH. Finally got all my machines out of storage.

20160829_222644 (resized).jpg20160829_222644 (resized).jpg

20160829_222708 (resized).jpg20160829_222708 (resized).jpg

20160829_222737 (resized).jpg20160829_222737 (resized).jpg

20160908_014451 (resized).jpg20160908_014451 (resized).jpg

20160909_004353 (resized).jpg20160909_004353 (resized).jpg

20160909_004403 (resized).jpg20160909_004403 (resized).jpg

20160909_004414 (resized).jpg20160909_004414 (resized).jpg

20160909_005218 (resized).jpg20160909_005218 (resized).jpg

20160909_004708 (resized).jpg20160909_004708 (resized).jpg

20160909_005224 (resized).jpg20160909_005224 (resized).jpg

20160909_005242 (resized).jpg20160909_005242 (resized).jpg

20160909_005252 (resized).jpg20160909_005252 (resized).jpg

20160909_005346 (resized).jpg20160909_005346 (resized).jpg

20160909_005356 (resized).jpg20160909_005356 (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

Nice
Mike

6 months later
#29 7 years ago

Just picked a a spy Hunter in desperate need of restoration. Mpu board was roached from battery leakage, so new alltek on the way. Hoping that's only major issue.

IMG_20170226_104423 (resized).jpgIMG_20170226_104423 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170226_103744 (resized).jpgIMG_20170226_103744 (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

IMG_20170226_104414 (resized).jpgIMG_20170226_104414 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170307_212727 (resized).jpgIMG_20170307_212727 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170226_104419 (resized).jpgIMG_20170226_104419 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170226_104428 (resized).jpgIMG_20170226_104428 (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago

Oh, you got yourself quite a project, there. If you need any assistance let the club know....I check the forum daily and will help you the best I can with any problems you might encounter. I have a extra playfield with some parts attached to it if you are in need of help...Good Luck!!

#32 7 years ago

backglass looks to be in great shape. Which is lucky on your part. While you wait on that new mpu I would go ahead and verify that you're getting good voltage to the old mpu. Don't want to hook the new one up and it get burnt. Chances are you are gonna have some bad SCR's and transistors out on your lamp board. So go ahead and test those with your DMM and get those new components on the way. Chances are the caps on the sound board are done too.

#33 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys!

Yeah, excited to bring this one back to life. Really like the LED color placement with the blues and reds Capn. I think I will do similar as it looks awesome against the black.

I will be sure to check voltages before putting the new board in. I will update with progress.

3 weeks later
#34 7 years ago

So she is up and running. I ended up having to replace the mpu board with an Alltek board, but after that and a LOT of elbow grease, it plays great! Only issue outstanding is the GI doesn't flash like it should during game play. Ive narrowed it down to the TRIAC in the bottom of the cabinet. Cant find a replacement part so if anyone has any insight, especially if you had to replace yours I would love the advice.

IMG_20170328_145646 (resized).jpgIMG_20170328_145646 (resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

Looking good! Where is the chrome T-molding?! lol. Did you install that coin button in the middle?

#36 7 years ago

I like the black T-molding, and its in great shape. The credit button was already there, so for now I am leaving it. Anyone have to replace the triac for the GI flashing?

3 weeks later
#37 6 years ago
Quoted from J-A-Z:

the GI doesn't flash like it should during game play. Ive narrowed it down to the TRIAC in the bottom of the cabinet.

I don't think it is your triac,if it was you would not have any GI and you do. I think its the small aux control board that turns the triac on and off. I also found this to be good info.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-triac-questions

Hope this helps.
-Mike

10 months later
#38 6 years ago

Hey Guys, just joined the hunter club. My machine isn't as nice as some in here but it should come up good with some lovin'. Anyone know if there was movement to recreate the back glass or a translite? Another question, is the shooter plate available anywhere? i couldn't find any reference to it but the Gottlieb one looks very similar in design and dimensions.

#39 6 years ago

No talk about backglass ot translite for sale but Marco specialties has the shooter plate,sure other sellers have it also. About $3.00
PLATE - SHOOTER COVER
#01-10136
New black baked-enamel ball shooter cover for most late model Bally/Williams pinball machines.
-Mike

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

No talk about backglass ot translite for sale but Marco specialties has the shooter plate,sure other sellers have it also. About $3.00
PLATE - SHOOTER COVER
#01-10136
New black baked-enamel ball shooter cover for most late model Bally/Williams pinball machines.
-Mike

Cheers Mike, hopefully they will be recreated one of these days, mines missing a few pieces, thankfully down low so not any of the major artwork is gone. I should have been more specific sorry, i meant the plate on the front of the cab that the shooter rod passes through. These Gottlieb one's are very similar http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-8831
although they won't have the embossed "Bally" writing. The one on my machine has one of the rod/threads busted off so it doesn't tighten up properly and also the plastic piece that sits behind is a bit flogged out also, Gottlieb part is http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-8834
Any idea if these parts can be used instead? as far as i can tell the shooter rod itself is the same diameter.
EDIT* Found the dimensions for the Gottlieb, definitely different sizing

#41 6 years ago

Ok, i found the plastic bushing on Marco's http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-934
looks like the plate ( #A-3830) is not available anywhere

#42 6 years ago

This game has one of the best 80's backglass. Someone should do a translite at least.

#43 6 years ago

It may be an option to get a universal shooter assembly that looks like a Williams. Seen some on ebay for $20.00. Depends on if you care what it looks like.
-Mike

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Mancave:

Anyone know if there was movement to recreate the back glass or a translite?

Not yet, but there is some interest.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-spyhunter-backglass-or-translite

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

It may be an option to get a universal shooter assembly that looks like a Williams. Seen some on ebay for $20.00. Depends on if you care what it looks like.
-Mike

My brother has managed a temporary solution and has silver soldered the shaft/thread back on, it should hold i'm hoping as it's not under a major load, just gotta remember not to do it up too tight Good idea with the universal shooter assembly though, may end up having to do that. Cheers!

1 month later
#46 6 years ago

How hard would it be to fix the flippers?

charlotte.craigslist.org link

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

How hard would it be to fix the flippers?

Just go get it and we'll figure it out when you get back. It's worth the asking price.
-Mike

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Just go get it and we'll figure it out when you get back. It's worth the asking price.
-Mike

Already deleted and no answer to my text. oh well.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

Already deleted and no answer to my text. oh well.

I was a SpyHunter nut when I was a kid and enjoy playing the pinball machine and hope to find a good arcade machine in the next few years. Prices are too high right now.
-Mike

#50 6 years ago

Just picked up a Spy Hunter last night in the monsoon weather of New England. Needs some love, but it's not in horrible shape. Playfield should clean up great, cabinet it a bit beat up, but graphics aren't faded and in decent shape. I'll post some pictures later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Potterville, MI
$ 199.95
825 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 181 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spy-hunter-thread/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.